Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Journeyman Project 3 for OSX! (...with Packard Bell memories)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Journeyman Project 3 for OSX! (...with Packard Bell memories)

If anyone remembers that transition period before 2000 when games began appearing on DVD, you might know about the DVD edition of JMP3. The original 4-CD version of the game was somewhat grainy, and no longer runs properly on modern systems (Mac or Windows). A DVD edition was released with enhanced quality and no disc swapping. The original DVD edition was somewhat rare, and it looks like it will be the same with this remastered release. If anyone has an OSX Mac, be it Intel or PPC, you can order it here. It's only $15.

How ironic that I spend the better part of my life wanting a Mac just to play Pegasus Prime, then I find one and while setting it up, stumble upon this wonderful news the next day. Hopefully, they'll do Buried in Time or Pegasus Prime next.
    Last edited by NayusDante; 11-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's good to know about that, although it's no help to me, considering all my Macs are pre-DVD. May save me some anyway - 3 was the one I wanted to play the most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a loooong history with this series. Played it first on my old packard bell as it was a bundled game. I bought the trilogy collection years later and loved it.

A bit ago, a friend gave me an old slot-load imac g3 just because he had no more need of it. The next day, I found all 4 games for mac in a thrift, boxed and everything. (4 meaning JMP and Pegasus Prime).

I'll be picking this up. If they get enough support they may rerelease the entire series or if god loves us, finally get JMP 4 out of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

This would have been a done deal if they had released the PC version as well. I also remember JMP being boxed with Packard Bell computers and loved the hell out of the game, it's the only good thing I can say about owning that shitty brand.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not posting about the game. I'm just joining the Florida party that's going on in here.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'm not posting about the game. I'm just joining the Florida party that's going on in here.
    :P

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing an entire wall of the original PC release of JMP at Babbages back in '93 or '94, and a big display of LoT at CompUSA at launch. I guess the series got a lot of love down here.

I'd REALLY love to see a JMP4. I don't mean to start the rumor mill, but if anyone knew about the fan remakes, Vigilant EC has supposedly been working on a secret commercial project. They were one of two teams working on remaking JMP, the other being Shattered Time Productions. I was contributing some texture design work, but both teams kinda fell apart around the same time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

let us know they release it on a system gamers actually use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I also remember JMP being boxed with Packard Bell computers and loved the hell out of the game, it's the only good thing I can say about owning that shitty brand.
    Ha, I got Ecco (w/ Sega CD music and a highrez mode!) and Comix Zone.

Also, did you get the Packard Bell Navigator? Goofy house thing, sort of a precursor to Microsoft Bob actually.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Also, did you get the Packard Bell Navigator? Goofy house thing, sort of a precursor to Microsoft Bob actually.
    I must have gotten an earlier version of Navigator. It was just a weird extra shell where you could sort programs into categories for easy access.

"Welcome to PACKARD BELL NAVIGATOR! The easiest way to get started with your PACKARD BELL computer!"

I had my first computer discussion with someone my own age when one of the other guys randomly shouted that in kindergarten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Ha, I got Ecco (w/ Sega CD music and a highrez mode!) and Comix Zone.

I got some horrible Spiderman make your own cartoon thing and a interactive childrens game called Toon Land. And Yes I remember Packard Bell Navigator, it was the worst POS I've ever used and I believe it's the reason why our first PB computer crashed the first night we used it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I must have gotten an earlier version of Navigator. It was just a weird extra shell where you could sort programs into categories for easy access.

"Welcome to PACKARD BELL NAVIGATOR! The easiest way to get started with your PACKARD BELL computer!"

I had my first computer discussion with someone my own age when one of the other guys randomly shouted that in kindergarten.
    lol

A couple varieties of PBN are looked over here:
    link

I'm running 4.0 (OHHH YEAH) which is nicer than the others, or something. The older ones might have both Kidspace and Myspace, not sure. They're fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    a interactive childrens game called Toon Land.
    Sounds familiar. We also got... (looking through a CD binder here) an Interactive CD Sampler with Presidents of the United States, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Wynton Marsalis, some other folks (video too, hence the "interactive" part, though I've never actually loaded up the thing), and a CD with The Little Engine (no relation to Thomas I don't think) and Dinosaur In The Garden (oh yeah!)
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was cooler than the Windows 3.1 Program Manager.

Mine came with The Animals! (a tour of the San Diego Zoo), and a Software Toolworks double CD including Chessmaster and Mavis Beacon. I played PC chess before the real thing, and it was awesome. It also had some Macromedia/PowerPointish thing, called Action 2.5. I still have the backup install floppies for it, but I never knew what it really was for.

I saw a Packard Bell today at my church's thrift, but they were asking $20 for it INCLUDING an old monitor. My parents would kill me if I brought home yet another monitor, and $20 was more than I felt like spending today. It was a Pentium 133, faster than the PB I had, but slower than my retrogaming rig. Is that bychance the machine bundled with JMP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Packard Bells I have seen had an utterly nightmarish-looking hardware configuration that looked darn impossible to squeeze anything into. It's just not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Is that bychance the machine bundled with JMP?
    Any loose Packard Bell you're likely to find these days would surely have been long since stripped of its original software.

Don't forget some Packard Bells also shipped with the pre-DirectX OEM version of Sonic CD.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have my original Packard Bell Navigator pack-ins, including:

-Spiderman Cartoon Maker
    -Toon Land
    -The Journeyman Project Turbo! (The version that came with the Navigator was a speed-enhanced version of the original)
    -Silent Steel
    -Some weather encyclopedia thing

Ironically I played Spiderman Cartoon Maker the most out of all of them. That thing was a blast, despite that bug that didn't let you fill in stencils.

I even have that green package that they all came in. Shame they were all loose discs inside of plastic sleeves.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My Packard Bell was a 200MHz version, the model name is L90 (wow, that came out of a deep part of my memory - yeah, I use the thing all the time, and it's in here with me, but I didn't even have to go over to look at it).

Maximum memory for that model is said to be 128MB. I think I put 64MB in it. It originally had 16, and I managed to play a few levels of Half-Life on it. 10 minute loads between level segments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To clarify the dates: The bundle that BetaWolf describes would have been late 94 and into 95. That's about when I got mine, and I had that same bundle with the newer "house" metaphor navigator. Seems that was the bundle for the early pentium systems and slightly beyond. The bundle that Nays describes was the one before ours, the late 486 early pentium transition era. The one Ed describes is an alternative bundle to the late 486 era one specifically for the more powerful "enhanced" multimedia systems...at least based on the information I've been able to find over the years.

I went on kind of a nostalgia kick a few years ago and tracked down the exact model I had, a Legend 406CD. p75/8mb RAM/810mb HD/4x CD. We upgraded it to 16mb of RAM just after we got the included pre-order widows 95 ugprade redemption. I remember that ram cost something like $125. Damn I miss those days, back when upgrading your machine meant a serious power boost, more than the incrementalness these days.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

this thread is now about Packard Bell.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    this thread is now about Packard Bell.
    That's still original-topic related. I think it's safe to say that a large percentage of JMP players owned a Packard Bell, myself included even though mine wasn't bundled with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    The one Ed describes is an alternative bundle to the late 486 era one specifically for the more powerful "enhanced" multimedia systems...at least based on the information I've been able to find over the years.
    Mine would be 1995-1996, a 200MHz Pentium MMX system. One of the greats. Quite sure it was bought in 1995.

The case, when I finally opened it many years later, is indeed strange, but not impossible to work with, as far as using the PCI slots or adding more RAM goes.

It's also worth mentioning that Packard Bell was one of the most-returned brands about this time - maybe a little earlier, back in the 486 days. Our system has been rock solid over all these years, quite amazing as I've had various bits of Compaq systems die in the years since then.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had my Packard Bell for years, and the only problem I ever had with it was the fact that it was slow. That became *my* first computer when my parents got their HP Pentium (the one that came with a Voodoo 1 and Mechwarrior 2). The Packard Bell just BARELY ran JMP, but amazingly I could run SNES9X on it. I got my HP Pentium II on the same day as Legacy of Time, and of course that was the first thing I played on it, but I kept the PB around as a DOS rig. I can't believe how far I went on an i386DX chip and 8mb RAM... Heck, I got by with a 500mb HDD back then. Back in 8th grade, a friend and I thought we would be leet and "case mod" it. It involved desktop paper trays and some zip ties. I miss that machine.

Back on topic, I remember wanting the DVD edition, but DVD players were still crazy expensive and few people had them, let alone in their computer. I didn't have a DVD drive in my PC until after Presto shut down.

If anyone has a complete copy of Riven sitting around, check it for an insert talking about 24KT gold Legacy of Time copies. I'm wondering if those were DVD or CD...