Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SNES Powerpak is now available

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Super FX emulation is never going to happen. The SuperFX chip is actually a seperate processor. Unless there was a slot to plug in a SuperFX cart into the flash cart, I can't imagine a way around this....even then, I'm pretty sure there's no way to even get that to work, and it would likely defeat the purpose, considering the Super FX chip variations and the few games that used them..

-Rob
    very true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj

Someone mentioned that there's a translated version of Terranigma that doesn't need a modified SNES to play? Is this true?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really want this but i find it hard to justify the purchase as i already own a snes Tototek flash cart. i would pretty much just be buying convience of the CFC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Seems like it would be dumb not to order the DCP-1 install, considering several good games use it. As for SuperFX, its not a huge loss IMO. Most people have Star Fox and Yoshi's Island. It would be much worse if Mode 7 didn't work! Incompatibility of Street Fighter 2 Alpha, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X2/X3, and the SA-1 chip games are a much lengthier list than the NES PowerPak's though. Has anyone done a mapper list by game for SNES?

Will Japanese and European releases play on it, like they do the NES PowerPak?
    *sigh*

The SNES did not use mappers, hence why 99% of games work on this cart. The SA-1 and Super FX chips are coprocessors, essentially bumping up the capabilities of the SNES. The SA-1 is actually very similar to the processor used in the SNES, but it runs at 10 MHz, nearly 4 times faster than the system. It would be a logistical nightmare to try try to make a flash cart for it, and really not worth it. Hell, the people who dumped the SA-1 games literally removed the rom chip off the board to read the ROM. It is the same deal with the C4 chip in the Mega Man X2/3 games, it is a coprocessor, and it would require significant modifications to get it to work on a flash cart.

As for Street Fighter Alpha 2, it uses an SDD-1 chip, which is a graphics decompressor. It could be playable if someone bothered to hack the rom to include the compressed images. Someone actually did that for Star Ocean, meaning that if you can find this patch, you can play it on your Power Pak (at 96 Mbit, it wouldn't play in most copiers, except those that allow bank switching). Also, Mode 7 is a hardware feature of the SNES, and has nothing to do with any chip on the carts.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Good information Evan. I only mentioned mappers because I saw a link on the retrousb site for SNES PowerPak Mappers version 1.00 but I assume that's just them staying with their NES Powerpak lingo.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How hard just to add a SDD-1 chip in the cart..for games like star oceane & sfa2

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    As for Street Fighter Alpha 2, it uses an SDD-1 chip, which is a graphics decompressor. It could be playable if someone bothered to hack the rom to include the compressed images. Someone actually did that for Star Ocean, meaning that if you can find this patch, you can play it on your Power Pak (at 96 Mbit, it wouldn't play in most copiers, except those that allow bank switching).
    The 96mbit version of Star Ocean doesn't use bank switching. It just maps into nearly the entire memory space of the snes. The only reason it worked on the gd7 was because it had flexible memory mapping. It is possible to make a repro of this version using a normal hirom board provided that you have the memory chips with a high enough capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania
    How hard just to add a SDD-1 chip in the cart..for games like star oceane & sfa2
    Very hard. If it was easy to do, it would have been included. The creator himself said no add-on chips would be supported except for DSP1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can MMX2 & X3 be playable without the CX4 chip??

it plays in the Game Genie no problem

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    I realize you don't mind the fact the SNES PowerPak does not have SuperFX compatibility, but does this even matter? How many hard to find SuperFX games are there besides Star Fox 2? I'm not wealthy nor extremely impatient. That being said I got every SuperFX game I ever wanted for pretty cheap and without much hassle at all.

I had a Game Doctor SF7 for several years before selling it here, since 1, I already own/have access to all the SNES games I'd ever want & 2, I wasn't concerned any longer about the few games I didn't own. Those points and the fact copier systems are outdated compared to flash cartridges such as this. Although when I got my GDSF7 years ago it cost about the same as this brand new flash cartridge now.

I prefer original hardware to emulation but unless I'd be dealing with large quantities of very expensive games, and ones with original english releases I'm not interested in this cartridge, omission of special chips aside. Maybe one day I'd consider it, if it ever gets cheaper since the quality of production is sure to be there from RetroZone.
    Please don’t buy something from RetroZone (like the SNES or NES Powerpack) !!! They rob you !!! I can prove you that they are not honest, they keep your cash and they never send the products ! Follow my advice...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by mumbly View Post
    Please don’t buy something from RetroZone (like the SNES or NES Powerpack) !!! They rob you !!! I can prove you that they are not honest, they keep your cash and they never send the products ! Follow my advice...
    Er... sure. Prove away?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Can MMX2 & X3 be playable without the CX4 chip??

it plays in the Game Genie no problem
    No. If those games didn't need them, they wouldn't be in the board. The game genie isn't a co-processor like the others. It's a memory patcher.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Is there any reason why they used CompactFlash instead of MicroSD (or something that's well, more common than CF is)?

I'm not complaining about the price or the lack of chips or whatever. But CompactFlash? o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recall bunnyboy saying that the parallel interface of CF was faster than the serial interface of SD. Maybe it's just less taxing on the hardware to use parallel rather than serial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why dosn't bunnyboy do a Genesis/32X/Master System version of the Powerpak..but called something else

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Why dosn't bunnyboy do a Genesis/32X/Master System version of the Powerpak..but called something else
    Look here: Problem I think with this one is it uses a GBA type flash cart, which is sold separately. So at the cheapest, for the cartridge and flash card will run you over $200.
    http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=33&cat=0&page=1

I'd buy that right away from retrousb, although would be great if whoever did it could make Game Gear games playable. An N64 cart would of course be the holy grail for me. The best thing about retrousb's stuff is the ability to go right onto a common flash media via USB.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 11-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just so everyone knows, this poster is obviously an alias of Dutch. Dutch was banned from NA for being a scammer and a dirtbag who has nothing better to do than make fake accounts to talk shit about people. The only problem is, because of the language barrier and his distinct posting style, everyone knows who he is immediately after he posts.

Can't wait to order mine, it'll go nicely with all my other retrozone stuff

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Yeah, dutch just seems to try to hate and just fails miserably. It's comical.

Although it's neat, I'm going to save my cash for now as it's not a must have like the NES one. Down the road, it'll be nice to play the titles I have sealed that I can't bring myself to open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go on... this should be funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Is there any reason why they used CompactFlash instead of MicroSD (or something that's well, more common than CF is)?

I'm not complaining about the price or the lack of chips or whatever. But CompactFlash? o_O
    According to the manual, they went with CompactFlash because it was a ton faster than MicroSD.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Yeah, dutch just seems to try to hate and just fails miserably. It's comical.

Although it's neat, I'm going to save my cash for now as it's not a must have like the NES one. Down the road, it'll be nice to play the titles I have sealed that I can't bring myself to open.
    How good is the NES one? I'm really new to all this. I have all the ROMS and of course the originals. Am I understanding all this correctly, is there some cart I can buy that will allow me to play all my ROMS (Backups) in the NES or SNES?