Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: SNES Powerpak is now available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How fast does it load ROM's compered to the Super Everdrive??

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    How fast does it load ROM's compered to the Super Everdrive??
    At least 2 or 3 times as fast, its a very significant difference.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    At least 2 or 3 times as fast, its a very significant difference.
    That's inaccurate. If you've loaded a game in the Everdrive, and you're going to continue playing the same game, then the load time is instantaneous. I'm playing an rpg right now and it starts up immediately. It only takes a few seconds to load if you decide to play a "different" game, in which case you probably have ADD since you can't seem to wait a couple of seconds.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    That's inaccurate. If you've loaded a game in the Everdrive, and you're going to continue playing the same game, then the load time is instantaneous. I'm playing an rpg right now and it starts up immediately. It only takes a few seconds to load if you decide to play a "different" game, in which case you probably have ADD since you can't seem to wait a couple of seconds.
    My apologies, I failed to explain that the game stayed in the memory when powering off on the Everdrive and doesn't on the Powerpak. I my browser must have cut off the portion of the post where he asked that. I only saw "how fast does it load the roms", so I'm glad you clarified that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It takes about a minute and a half to do a fresh load of a 48 Mb game on a Super Everdrive. The only game that is that size is Tales of Phantasia. All other games take less time than that. Come on, that is less than the loading time for a typical PS1 game! And yes, if you already have the game in memory, it loads instantly from menu.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    It takes about a minute and a half to do a fresh load of a 48 Mb game on a Super Everdrive. The only game that is that size is Tales of Phantasia. All other games take less time than that. Come on, that is less than the loading time for a typical PS1 game! And yes, if you already have the game in memory, it loads instantly from menu.

And Dragon Quest III with English patch as well a 48Mb game.Good thing that both games are RPGs which usually stick for a long time after the first load before you decide to change the game to play.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just caved ordered both the NES Powerpak and the SNES Powerpak. I plan to just keep only my CIB games and repros unless I have a few cart-only games that don't work on these paks. (I probably don't by now). Selling those will hopefully give me my money back for buying these as well as the shelf space needed for more games with Game Boy / PS1 height cases as well as music CDs.

You know, like either it's in collectible condition or it's not worth taking up space.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Keep in mind that neither Powerpak will replace ALL games. The NES Powerpak still won't play MMC5 games such as Gemfire and Castlevania 3 and the Super Powerpak won't play anything with expansion chips such as the Super FX/FX2, CX4 or SA-1 chips. That means you'll need to keep around Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, etc.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Keep in mind that neither Powerpak will replace ALL games. The NES Powerpak still won't play MMC5 games such as Gemfire and Castlevania 3 and the Super Powerpak won't play anything with expansion chips such as the Super FX/FX2, CX4 or SA-1 chips. That means you'll need to keep around Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, etc.
    Yep, and these are the exact good titles that I already made sure I bought a CIB copy of if I liked them. I buy CIB anything I beat before without cheats and anything that belongs to a major series that I enjoy such as Mario, Kirby, Star Fox etc. I don't have Castlevania 3 for NES in cartridge form to begin with. I don't really play the series but mess around with it for short periods of time. Just to be meticulous I will test out every game I have on the powerpak before I sell each one though.

The Super Powerpak now has the SA-1 chip though and supports Super Mario Kart as well as a fixed version of Pilotwings and other lesser-known games that used the chip. That's why the price for the unit has gone up. But right now it's on sale for $10 off so that price increase is temporarily nullified. Either way I have both of those popular games CIB already.

What these powerpaks will do is let me play the games on the original console to really determine if I can beat a game legitimately or not. That will mean I can try out games, pick the ones I like, try to beat them and if I succeed a CIB purchase will be my reward. Kind of like what I do with emulators except I'll actually be able to stand to play it because it won't have all those horizontal clear lines appear in games that have scrolling. NES emulation on FCE Ultra is especially terrible with that and the program having save states and fast forward give me major gaming ADD while the real system tends not to.

Of my loose NES games, so far it looks like Star Tropics 2 is the only one that I will have to keep the cartridge of until I replace it with a CIB copy or just buy the box and booklet for it. I still have to beat Star Tropics first though so it is a long way off before I even worry about it. And I'm definitely holding onto my repros because they're special. Especially since the Final Fantasy III NES repro is discontinued as the owner of gamereproductions.com "doesn't like to make it"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

The Super NES Powerpak only supports the DSP-1, and that was an optional add-on before bunnyboy just decided to make it standard equipment. The SA-1 is *not* supported.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    The Super NES Powerpak only supports the DSP-1, and that was an optional add-on before bunnyboy just decided to make it standard equipment. The SA-1 is *not* supported.
    Ah had the chip name mixed up. Oops. I'm not sure which games use the SA-1 then. Probably not too many.

In the long run I only want to collect CIB games so these powerpaks will make me not miss most of my cart-only copies as much while the games are temporarily gone. Right now I need the money more than a collection I am slowly replacing and upgrading anyway. Checking each one before selling is most likely my safest option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Sorry about the confusion. I should have mentioned the DSP-1chip is standard on all Powerpaks since at least 2009. I was tired when I wrote my last post and forgot to mention that.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/