Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 392

Thread: SNES Powerpak is now available

  1. #26
    Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,810
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    action replay support would be better.
    then its easy to use codes that can be found easy in most emulators.
    game genie codes can be patched to the roms if needed.
    Eh, there's ways to convert PAR codes into GG.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

  2. #27
    Great Puma (Level 12) c0ldb33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,980
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Are there are other flash carts that DO support super FX games?

  3. #28
    Banana (Level 7) fahlim003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The sinking old sanctuary
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Are there are other flash carts that DO support super FX games?
    I realize you don't mind the fact the SNES PowerPak does not have SuperFX compatibility, but does this even matter? How many hard to find SuperFX games are there besides Star Fox 2? I'm not wealthy nor extremely impatient. That being said I got every SuperFX game I ever wanted for pretty cheap and without much hassle at all.

    I had a Game Doctor SF7 for several years before selling it here, since 1, I already own/have access to all the SNES games I'd ever want & 2, I wasn't concerned any longer about the few games I didn't own. Those points and the fact copier systems are outdated compared to flash cartridges such as this. Although when I got my GDSF7 years ago it cost about the same as this brand new flash cartridge now.

    I prefer original hardware to emulation but unless I'd be dealing with large quantities of very expensive games, and ones with original english releases I'm not interested in this cartridge, omission of special chips aside. Maybe one day I'd consider it, if it ever gets cheaper since the quality of production is sure to be there from RetroZone.

  4. #29
    Pear (Level 6) Joe West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Taylor, Michigan
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    great job, im getting one....................

  5. #30
    ServBot (Level 11) badinsults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somewhere on planet Earth / #vbender
    Posts
    3,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Are there are other flash carts that DO support super FX games?
    Did you not read my post? To implement a Super FX chip would require a complete redesign of the board to account for the voltage requirements. Not only would this be a complicated process, but made all the more difficult because there are several versions of the Super FX chip, and they aren't really compatible. Considering the technical hurdles, and the fact that the only truly good Super FX games are Yoshi's Island, StarFox and StarFox 2, it really is not worth the effort. The sooner two titles are so common, that if you need a flash cart to play them, you really are just a cheapskate pirate. Considering that you have to scrap a legit game with a Super FX chip to implement it in the flash cart, you might as well just get a repro of StarFox 2. The same issues apply to the SA-1 chip et al. Really, I am pretty surprised the DSP1 chip is included at all, though it is certainly the most common special chip.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

  6. #31
    Great Puma (Level 12) c0ldb33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,980
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Did you not read my post? ...
    Oh I read it, I was just curious. I checked a few other sites on the net and everyone is bitching that the game doesn't include Super FX support. Made me wonder if that lack of chip support was something novel to this flash cart, or whether there is some monster SNES flash cart that supports more chips.

    I'm digging the red cartridge design. It'll look great next to my NES powerpak. I just wish that it came with a translucent red dust cover. Now THAT would be pimpin'

  7. #32
    ServBot (Level 11) badinsults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somewhere on planet Earth / #vbender
    Posts
    3,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Regular SNES PCB board:



    DSP1 board:



    Super FX PCB board:



    SA-1 board:



    As you can see from the above boards, the regular pcbs and DSP pcbs are pretty simple circuit boards. The Super FX and SA-1 boards are complex as hell with lots of capacitors to regulate the signal and power of the chips. I can't imagine the difficulty it would be it implement those two chips on a flash cart, and it would probably triple of quadruple the price. At that point, it would be cheaper to just buy the games.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

  8. #33
    Great Puma (Level 12) skaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    #vbender
    Posts
    4,722
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I just ordered mine!
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

    Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

  9. #34
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,463
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    Seems like it would be dumb not to order the DCP-1 install, considering several good games use it. As for SuperFX, its not a huge loss IMO. Most people have Star Fox and Yoshi's Island. It would be much worse if Mode 7 didn't work! Incompatibility of Street Fighter 2 Alpha, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X2/X3, and the SA-1 chip games are a much lengthier list than the NES PowerPak's though. Has anyone done a mapper list by game for SNES?

    Will Japanese and European releases play on it, like they do the NES PowerPak?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  10. #35
    Bell (Level 8)
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,729
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I need one. I also need the NES powerpak...
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

  11. #36
    Banana (Level 7)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    On this thing you can't play the PAL Terranigma unless you have a modded system due to the 50 hz lockout. There is no way around that one guys.

    for $125 this is well worth it as you can play pretty much every translated Japanese RPG except Star Ocean (which you should be able to play the version that they modified so it didn't need the special chip)

    Other than that you can play Secret of Mana 2, Bahamut Lagoon, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy V, Fire Emblem's, and most everything else.

    The incompatabililty is pretty dang good considering 700+ snes games in the US library and the only good ones you have to get the games for are:
    Super Mario RPG
    Super Mario 2
    Star Fox
    Mega Man X2
    Mega Man X3
    Kirby Superstar
    Kirby Dreamland 3
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (which actually sucks)
    and maybe 1 or 2 others.

    So you still have close to 700 US games to play and bunches of translated games all for $125

    Needless to say I bought one and have about 100 boxed snes games for sale on the buy/sell forums that I have to play every once in a while but not huge fans of the games

    Just my 2 cents

  12. #37
    Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Posts
    8,434
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Super FX emulation is never going to happen. The SuperFX chip is actually a seperate processor. Unless there was a slot to plug in a SuperFX cart into the flash cart, I can't imagine a way around this....even then, I'm pretty sure there's no way to even get that to work, and it would likely defeat the purpose, considering the Super FX chip variations and the few games that used them..

    -Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

  13. #38
    Bell (Level 8)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    1,659
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    well depending on which one you get.

    The NTSC lockout will play 700+ snes games, but can also play the majority of the super famicom library.

    You can get it locked for PAL, and play the PAL library.

    There's just no universal lockout to adjust for the 50 hz thing.

  14. #39
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    285
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Eh, there's ways to convert PAR codes into GG.
    only rom based values..... most ar codes are ram, so not really
    and thats why roms can be patched with game genie codes.

  15. #40
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    285
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    agree 100% (I only use ROMs for games I can't get like Star Fox 2 and what not) but this is not real hardware/software or it would be 100% compatible with all the real chips in it.
    it is real hardware... just missing some parts to keep the price down.
    100% compatiblity would cause the price to more than double, to just cover the last 1% of games. people complain about the price as is......

  16. #41
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    285
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Super FX emulation is never going to happen. The SuperFX chip is actually a seperate processor. Unless there was a slot to plug in a SuperFX cart into the flash cart, I can't imagine a way around this....even then, I'm pretty sure there's no way to even get that to work, and it would likely defeat the purpose, considering the Super FX chip variations and the few games that used them..

    -Rob
    very true

  17. #42
    Insert Coin (Level 0) vrikkgwj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    146
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Someone mentioned that there's a translated version of Terranigma that doesn't need a modified SNES to play? Is this true?

  18. #43
    Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,361
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    i really want this but i find it hard to justify the purchase as i already own a snes Tototek flash cart. i would pretty much just be buying convience of the CFC.

  19. #44
    ServBot (Level 11) badinsults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somewhere on planet Earth / #vbender
    Posts
    3,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Seems like it would be dumb not to order the DCP-1 install, considering several good games use it. As for SuperFX, its not a huge loss IMO. Most people have Star Fox and Yoshi's Island. It would be much worse if Mode 7 didn't work! Incompatibility of Street Fighter 2 Alpha, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X2/X3, and the SA-1 chip games are a much lengthier list than the NES PowerPak's though. Has anyone done a mapper list by game for SNES?

    Will Japanese and European releases play on it, like they do the NES PowerPak?
    *sigh*

    The SNES did not use mappers, hence why 99% of games work on this cart. The SA-1 and Super FX chips are coprocessors, essentially bumping up the capabilities of the SNES. The SA-1 is actually very similar to the processor used in the SNES, but it runs at 10 MHz, nearly 4 times faster than the system. It would be a logistical nightmare to try try to make a flash cart for it, and really not worth it. Hell, the people who dumped the SA-1 games literally removed the rom chip off the board to read the ROM. It is the same deal with the C4 chip in the Mega Man X2/3 games, it is a coprocessor, and it would require significant modifications to get it to work on a flash cart.

    As for Street Fighter Alpha 2, it uses an SDD-1 chip, which is a graphics decompressor. It could be playable if someone bothered to hack the rom to include the compressed images. Someone actually did that for Star Ocean, meaning that if you can find this patch, you can play it on your Power Pak (at 96 Mbit, it wouldn't play in most copiers, except those that allow bank switching). Also, Mode 7 is a hardware feature of the SNES, and has nothing to do with any chip on the carts.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

  20. #45
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,463
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    Good information Evan. I only mentioned mappers because I saw a link on the retrousb site for SNES PowerPak Mappers version 1.00 but I assume that's just them staying with their NES Powerpak lingo.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  21. #46
    ServBot (Level 11) MarioMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,499
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    How hard just to add a SDD-1 chip in the cart..for games like star oceane & sfa2

  22. #47
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    552
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    As for Street Fighter Alpha 2, it uses an SDD-1 chip, which is a graphics decompressor. It could be playable if someone bothered to hack the rom to include the compressed images. Someone actually did that for Star Ocean, meaning that if you can find this patch, you can play it on your Power Pak (at 96 Mbit, it wouldn't play in most copiers, except those that allow bank switching).
    The 96mbit version of Star Ocean doesn't use bank switching. It just maps into nearly the entire memory space of the snes. The only reason it worked on the gd7 was because it had flexible memory mapping. It is possible to make a repro of this version using a normal hirom board provided that you have the memory chips with a high enough capacity.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania
    How hard just to add a SDD-1 chip in the cart..for games like star oceane & sfa2
    Very hard. If it was easy to do, it would have been included. The creator himself said no add-on chips would be supported except for DSP1.

  23. #48
    ServBot (Level 11) MarioMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,499
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Can MMX2 & X3 be playable without the CX4 chip??

    it plays in the Game Genie no problem

  24. #49
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    I realize you don't mind the fact the SNES PowerPak does not have SuperFX compatibility, but does this even matter? How many hard to find SuperFX games are there besides Star Fox 2? I'm not wealthy nor extremely impatient. That being said I got every SuperFX game I ever wanted for pretty cheap and without much hassle at all.

    I had a Game Doctor SF7 for several years before selling it here, since 1, I already own/have access to all the SNES games I'd ever want & 2, I wasn't concerned any longer about the few games I didn't own. Those points and the fact copier systems are outdated compared to flash cartridges such as this. Although when I got my GDSF7 years ago it cost about the same as this brand new flash cartridge now.

    I prefer original hardware to emulation but unless I'd be dealing with large quantities of very expensive games, and ones with original english releases I'm not interested in this cartridge, omission of special chips aside. Maybe one day I'd consider it, if it ever gets cheaper since the quality of production is sure to be there from RetroZone.
    Please don’t buy something from RetroZone (like the SNES or NES Powerpack) !!! They rob you !!! I can prove you that they are not honest, they keep your cash and they never send the products ! Follow my advice...

  25. #50
    Great Puma (Level 12) skaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    #vbender
    Posts
    4,722
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumbly View Post
    Please donít buy something from RetroZone (like the SNES or NES Powerpack) !!! They rob you !!! I can prove you that they are not honest, they keep your cash and they never send the products ! Follow my advice...
    Er... sure. Prove away?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

    Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM
  2. Earthbound + SNES powerpak?
    By charles__99 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 06:56 AM
  3. WTB: SNES PowerPak
    By WarriorFan in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM
  4. WTB: SNES PowerPak
    By Neonite in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM
  5. SNES PowerPak vs. Buying Games
    By BacteriaInfection in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •