Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Xbox 360 worries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

If law enforcement wanted to make a big deal, they could request a warrant requiring Microsoft to supply said information if available. I highly doubt they would pursue this though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dylan0228 View Post
    If law enforcement wanted to make a big deal, they could request a warrant requiring Microsoft to supply said information if available. I highly doubt they would pursue this though.
    I've heard cases of warehouses being robbed of 360s in the past multiple times, if they don't catch the guys that stole them then they pretty much wont do anything. They're not going to look for the people that buy them.

Also, what you're saying can be done with any technology that connects the internet and even though it's "possible" I don't think the police have ever tracked down someone by their MAC address... you'd be the first in history I think.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 11-05-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

All I`m saying is that Microsoft can see your serial # through your gamertag. I had a profile stolen at one time & that is exactly how they located the thief that tried to swipe my account. So it can be done.

IP addresses & MAC addresses are basically your electronic fingerprint They catch criminals through this process daily. Not implying any criminal activities in this instance of course!
    Last edited by dylan0228; 11-05-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I kind of wish that some random guy would come up to me with a truckload of brand new CECHA01 60gb PS3's and take a 100 dollar offer.

I would just go to the police with information on this wierd incident.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I`m saying is that Microsoft can see your serial # through your gamertag. I had a profile stolen at one time & that is exactly how they located the thief that tried to swipe my account. So it can be done.

IP addresses & MAC addresses are basically your electronic fingerprint They catch criminals through this process daily. Not implying any criminal activities in this instance of course!
    I completely believe you and it definitely can be done, but in this situation I don't think that Microsoft will lift a finger that is If they were even stolen

Hook it up and play it is all i'm going to say. If you don't want it sell it to someone that actually will.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

These days these usually aren't stolen off a dock or anything like that. Rather they're purchased using bogus debit gift cards. It's a big problem for electronics retail right now.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    When a van pulls up asking to sell you something like that, it's 100% stolen. Happened to me in a supermarket parking lot, 'expensive stereo system'.
    those are the white van speaker guys

As for this situation, maybe they bought out a game store somewhere?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine they broke into a shipping container. Fairly common, people are caught everyday doing things like breaking into shipping containers on intermodal trains and such looking for high value cargo when a train is stopped on a siding and or in a yard. There's thousands of miles of track in this country, much in remote areas, and a extremely limited amount of railroad police to monitor it. Perhaps 1 officer for every 250 miles of rail.

I doubt he acquired a collection of 360's to sell via buying them in small lots online with stolen cards to resell (I suspect buying a large lot of 360's online somewhere like Wal-Mart would raise a red flag). Likely, they came from the same source in my opinion.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-05-2009 at 05:30 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Make it your modded system and never take it online.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Shouldn't this be in Daily Deals and Discounts?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Ye0ldmario View Post
    those are the white van speaker guys
    Oh no, these guys had clearly just broken into someone's house.

Judging by what everyone has said Sir Murf, you probably should have bought 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If your so worried I'll give you $100 for it just PM me!!!!!!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, one of my friends fell for one of those van schemes, but they weren't selling stolen stuff. They were selling Chinese-made speakers that were very cheap wholesale, kinda like how Wal-Mart gets companies to manufacture goods at a lower standard to meet their price requirements. Only they were asking $100/speaker or something like that.

Make sure it's an Xbox, not an Xboy or something that Dr. Ashens would review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You should be safe. When my xbox was stolen from my house I gave Microsoft my serial number to my system, gamer tag and mac address. The theif actually got online with in 24 hours of taking it. Microsoft told me there was no way they could track it, which I knew was a lie. The truth was it is too costly for them to spend time tracing down a single xbox that was stolen. I can't be too hard on them the local police did not seem to care much either. When I called them to give the serial numbers for all of my stuff the cop on the phone said after 10 serial numbers " How many serial numbers are you going to give me?" Like I was wasting his time.

Gwinnett county police you suck donkey balls.

As for the speakers guys. I worked for a company that sold concert sound systems. One day while out for delivery the white Van pulled up while I was gassing up. He opened his van to show me the speakers they had and asked if I wanted any. I opened my van to show him 5 speakers the size of large filling cabinets, and he just walked away.
    Last edited by Hep038; 11-05-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Okay, so I stop to get gas at an exxon station and two guys in a van pull up asking me if i wanted to buy an xbox 360. So i thought about it and said okay what do you have and how much. They open the back of the van and they have at least 20 xbox 360's elites with pure and lego batman bundled. I asked how much and they said 200. I then said thinking I would be turned down instantly...how about 100 thats all i got. to my suprise the guy says sold with out hesitation. So now I have this brand new elite that I bought for 100 dollars. Now im thinking that this systme is prob stolen from some warehouse judging by the quantity they had. If thats the case would you guys think its safe to hook it up online? Should I take that chance? I will wait to hear from you guys...Thanks!!
    Dude, just sell it now. You'll end up selling it by Christmas even if you do open it and play it.

You know I'm 100% right.

-Micky

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Microsoft doesn't give a shit, and now the guy's in the van can bye some crack!

Shoulda bought them all.

*me goes down to exxon station and awaits white vans full of 360 elites and brings $20
    Last edited by The Shawn; 11-05-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Even if it was "stolen", who cares. Microsoft would just write it off anyways. I think the police and microsoft have better things to worry about then a couple of Xbox360s. Cops barely look for stolen cars .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hooked it up works fine..ill see how it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Hooked it up works fine..ill see how it goes.
    You will be fine. The dashboard on the 360s do have the console ID and serialnumbers but that will only matter if it has actually been filed as stolen and that someone is actively looking to find who stole it.

Now if it was a modded system that is a different story but the one you got should be just fine. Stolen, no doubt, will you get in trouble for it.....highly highly unlikely.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would assume that whatever retailer that is missing the possibly stolen Xbox`s has the serial numbers & would probably report that. Microsoft would probably have a system for tracking the serial numbers & possibly link it to you! I know ignorance isn`t an excuse for criminal activity, but how are you to know they were stolen? Did the guys look shady? The only other safe way to do it, & this may end up as a loss of your $100, is to contact the police & express your concerns. If your quick enough they may be able to retain your money if it was stolen. I`m sure they probably have cameras outside the gas station somewhere. What good is the Xbox if you can`t use it?
    Ha ha ha aha ha haa ha ha. Wow! cops in your area must have nothing better to do. "Golly Gee Andy, I'll get right on tracking down the stolen XBox" Also are we to assume that MS cares? MS will be happy to sell the "Warehouse" where these were "stolen" from more product.

Wait, wait, wait! I know, lets get Gary Sinise and his CSI team to look into it. They are good at breaking down security cam film and catching the bad guys all within an hour!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!