Thread: What is the buggiest PC game you have ever played?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default What is the buggiest PC game you have ever played?

My award would go to a little known game called Zombieville. Oddly I suffered through this mess for many hours as I found it strangely intriguing for a good while. The randomness of the bugs seemed to allow for more progress at different sittings. The bugs seemed almost to add a new element of challenge to an already difficult game. My experience can best be summed up by the following review.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews...le_Review.shtm

So say you, what game "bugged" you the most?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Big Rigs: Over the Road racing.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember some early shareware version of "Blood" crashing quite a bit, but mostly when you got to the train level.

Other than that I don't think I had a problem, I either got lucky with the games, or I knew ahead of time to patch things up.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say Daggerfall.

When completely patched-up and applied with user fixes it's tolerably wonky, but the original unpatched game was downright broken.

The main quest was incompletable. Lots of random crashing. Quests (more) often led to places or people that didn't exist, or monsters that weren't there. The level-up screen was the same as the character stats screen, and at any time you could actually go into your character stats screen and distribute points as if you had just leveled up (the arrows were hidden, but not disabled), so you could just max out all your stats up to 100 without doing anything. But then the game would freeze the next time you'd level up, because there was no way to exit the level-up screen if you had undistributed points, which you couldn't distribute because no stat could go past 100.

Skills were broken... if you trained up any single skill to 100, you couldn't gain any more levels. Guilds were broken... originally the Dark Brotherhood was unjoinable, and I believe also the Thieves Guild. Even Lycanthropy was broken, where you would turn into a stupid squealing Wereboar even if you were bitten by a Werewolf. Sunlight didn't affect you if you were a Vampire. And on and on and on...

Actually every Bethsoft game tends to be a nightmare (or at the very least a major headache) till they get a few patches in there. The worst game I've ever played as far as random crashing goes was actually Fallout 3, but I felt that was a bit too modern for this forum. Still, they're some of my favorite games, and I love them to death. You basically just have to grit your teeth and play through them, and wait for the official (and unofficial) patches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Ultima IX, all the way.

What a disaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rarely play PC games but I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream was the last one I spent more than 10 minutes on and it was pretty buggy. If you don't do certain actions or click on items in a particular order, it's impossible to finish the level and you have to start over from scratch.

Found this out after putting in about 3 hours on the first level and gave up playing. Too bad because it was a great game and had a real creepy atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Big Rigs: Over the Road racing.
    Anyone who has played that game HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Anyone who has played that game HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.
    Yup. Who needs a physics engine in a game? not us!
    My Import Game Store: Rising Stuff
    Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Playdia, Wonderswan, and a lot more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Starship troopers game that was out a few years ago, yes Im aware there are "Bugs" in the game but its the most software buggiest game ive played, I think the longest stretch I got out of it was around 15 mins before crashing, utter shit.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Anyone who has played [Big Rigs Racing] HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.
    *Raises hand

I'm not sure that I'd label it as the buggiest game ever though. After all, I'm sure that, say, their physics engine would work fine (if there was one)! Nothing beats going in reverse up a cliff at 1,000,000,000 mph in reverse, then coming to a stop instantly when letting off the gas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If you've watched some of the Big Rigs Racing game, it's more than just the physics engine that's borked. For example at the beginning of the race you can back up over the finish line, drive forward, and win. I can't imagine anyone coming up with a buggier game that was actually sold than that one.

I played Quest For Glory 4 way back when and it crashed all the time. There were certain rooms that every time I entered, the game would just die. This was one of the first games I bought on CD-Rom and I had an early CD-Rom drive as well, and since I've not seen many people complain about it I assume I had either a faulty drive or disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frets on Fire has given me more trouble than any other game ever. I've tried it out several times, and the few times I've actually gotten it to start, it was unplayable because of glitches and slowdown.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I played Quest For Glory 4 way back when and it crashed all the time. There were certain rooms that every time I entered, the game would just die. This was one of the first games I bought on CD-Rom and I had an early CD-Rom drive as well, and since I've not seen many people complain about it I assume I had either a faulty drive or disc.
    It wasn't just you. I recall this game crashing on me a few times when I originally played it. Not to the point where it was unplayable, but it was definitely the most buggy Sierra game I've encountered. Also one of my favorites.