Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning cartridge contacts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default cleaning cartridge contacts

I have been using rubbing alcohol and q-tips to clean the contacts on my game cartridges for a while now. I just wanted to make sure that this method is safe and will not harm the cartridges over time?

The way that I clean a disc is to wipe it with a microfiber cloth slightly dampened with water. Is this a good/safe way to clean discs? I used to use one of those rotary cleaners where you spray a solution on the disc and then turn the crank on the rotary unit which rubs the disc with a pad. Is that a safe method?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

For carts, I use Deoxit contact cleaner.

The stuff works wonders on dirty cartridge contacts.

As for optical discs, it sounds like you were using an old re-surfacer. It's good for a disc with heavy scratches, but completely un-necessary for discs in good shape. A simple microfiber cloth and some eyeglass cleaner is the best method.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    As for optical discs, it sounds like you were using an old re-surfacer. It's good for a disc with heavy scratches, but completely un-necessary for discs in good shape. A simple microfiber cloth and some eyeglass cleaner is the best method.
    It's not a re-surfacer, it is something I got at Walmart a while ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This stuff works absolute wonders for carts, and it's way better than rubbing alcohol at getting rid of grime.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been using a rubber (eraser) to clean the contacts on my cartridges. I was using rubbing alcohol and some aerosol can for cleaning contacts. After not being able to get some MVS carts to boot properly I read somewhere about using an eraser. It worked a treat, and is hands down the cheapest method you could come across.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post

This stuff works absolute wonders for carts, and it's way better than rubbing alcohol at getting rid of grime.
    Yeah, I've been using this for a few years now. Though I haven't used toothpaste before, there hasn't been a single dirty game I couldn't get to work like new, aside from ones with other issues.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psx95 View Post
    I have been using rubbing alcohol and q-tips to clean the contacts on my game cartridges for a while now. I just wanted to make sure that this method is safe and will not harm the cartridges over time?
    Nope, it won't harm your games. Rubbing alcohol is used in the electronics industry all the time for cleaning boards. I know that the games themselfs usually say not to use it but I think that's so you would buy their more expensive cart cleaner instead...which by the way...is mainly rubbing alcohol.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I think it's important to discuss proper cleaning techniques.

I've found the best way, and also the cheapest, is to open the cartridge (I bought a security bit from amazon for $5), and rub the contacts very well with a pencil eraser. Then I go over it with a q-tip dipped in windex, and finally a dry q-tip to dry it off. I make sure there are no artifacts left by the q-tip, and put it back together. I also clean the outside of the cartridge with a windex q-tip. This makes all of my carts run like new.

As far as rubbing alcohol goes, I hear that a 91% solution is most desirable, and also that anything but denatured alcohol will leave a residue that can corode.

I've never tried glass oven top cleaner, but from your posts I imagine it works well. I would hope there are no long-term effects.

For discs, the bottom is just plastic. It's important that it's free of scratches, smudges, and anything that would prevent the laser from reading the data. Obviously windex would work very well here too, but make sure what you wipe it with will not scratch the disc.

Now, I have a couple of carts with sharpie on them, and wonder if anybody has tried and true techniques for getting it off? Most notably, I have a nes zelda cart (gold) and I'd like to get sharpie off of it without ruining the cart. I hear that scrubbing with an alcohol/comet solution works best, but am a little weary of trying it just yet.
    Last edited by rimsky82; 05-24-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I would just use rubbing alcohol over Windex. It might be safe but windex also has ammonia, dye, and perfume that I wouldn't want to be left over.

As far as removing sharpie from a cart. I've done it many times with rubbing alcohol and the slightly scrubby back of a kitchen sponge. And finish it off with the sponge side. It doesn't hurt the cart and the ink comes right off.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rimsky82 View Post
    Now, I have a couple of carts with sharpie on them, and wonder if anybody has tried and true techniques for getting it off? Most notably, I have a nes zelda cart (gold) and I'd like to get sharpie off of it without ruining the cart. I hear that scrubbing with an alcohol/comet solution works best, but am a little weary of trying it just yet.

I gotten sharpie off of carts before,what I used was a old toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol,it can take a few goes to to get the marker off but it works great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I would just use rubbing alcohol over Windex. It might be safe but windex also has ammonia, dye, and perfume that I wouldn't want to be left over.
    To clarify, I've been using the Windex Multi-Surface with vinegar. It is clear. Is ammonia or vinegar bad for the contacts? The last time I used rubbing alcohol on a circuit board it left a residue that appeared greasy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

My cleaning methods:

For carts I use Dawn on the contacts with a Chore Boy golden fleece scrubby, followed by an alcohol rinse. (70-91%)

For discs, I just use Dawn again on the surface, and scrub the surface with my thumb, followed by a tap water rinse and dab dry with a paper towel.

Scoff if you must, but I've saved a lot of cart games by those methods.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not scoffing at you using Dawn, but doesn't the fleece scratch up the contacts?!
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Not scoffing at you using Dawn, but doesn't the fleece scratch up the contacts?!
    Surprisingly, no. It's even less abrasive than using scotch brite scrubbies, since the golden fleece is basically chemically treated terry cloth to make the fibers a little stiffer.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

I been using brasso to clean the contacts and 99% alcohol to take off any left over brasso.

P.s is it bad using high percentage of isopropyl alcohol?
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

My cleaner of choice. Its safe on plastics and phenolic, tears up carbon deposits and dries almost instantly. Not cheap, however...
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SithWarrior View Post
    I been using brasso to clean the contacts and 99% alcohol to take off any left over brasso.

P.s is it bad using high percentage of isopropyl alcohol?
    Nah, electronics grade alcohol is pretty high percentage. The only problem is that it costs a lot more. I use cheap dollar store stuff and have never had any problems. Cleaned many a used carts and it a q-tip and alcohol have cleaned probably about 95% of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post

My cleaner of choice. Its safe on plastics and phenolic, tears up carbon deposits and dries almost instantly. Not cheap, however...
    Exactly, I picked up the smaller 4.5 oz can (difference is it's red and has a picture of male and female ends of contacts on the label, mine still has the price tag of 4.99 on it). The stuff lasts pretty long.

I got the two security bit pack from www.electricquarter.com to open my games. Then I usually use one of those white click erasers to get the surface gunk off first. When the end of the eraser stops turning up black I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and cheap paper towels (slightly more abrasive than extra soft quilted kinds) until it's nice and shiny. Sometimes I run the eraser back over the contacts to check if I can buff anything else up, but I always like to finish with a bit of the cleaner to get rid of any extra debris/residue/film.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty confident with my methods, as I have not damaged any games as of yet and they all seem to work after a good cleaning. I've been warned against using alcohol as it can lead to corrosion. (alcohol leaves a film, film attracts dust, dust attracts moisture, moisture causes oxidation) - something to that effect. Don't attack me, but I heard a compelling argument, I picked up the electronic cleaner and haven't looked back.
    Last edited by jordandavid; 05-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As crazy as it may sound, I use the security bit, take the cartridge apart. Then use toothpaste and a toothbrush on the contacts. First I use straight toothpaste by rubbing it in with my fingers until the toothpaste turns dark. Then I wet the toothbrush and start brushing away at it. After I feel it has been cleaned off well I rinse the contacts off and brush until the suds go away. Finally I polish it off with a cotton towel. You'd be amazed how clean it gets. And toothpaste is always around and cheap.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    As crazy as it may sound, I use the security bit, take the cartridge apart. Then use toothpaste and a toothbrush on the contacts. First I use straight toothpaste by rubbing it in with my fingers until the toothpaste turns dark. Then I wet the toothbrush and start brushing away at it. After I feel it has been cleaned off well I rinse the contacts off and brush until the suds go away. Finally I polish it off with a cotton towel. You'd be amazed how clean it gets. And toothpaste is always around and cheap.
    I seen people use toothpaste to fix cd/dvd base games but never on the old cartridge games, you should post a video on youtube showing that, just to see the comments you'll get lol.
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...