Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody have a Tandy 1000TX

I was wondering if anyone else has this model and if it is a good platform for classic DOS games? I have the original Test Drive for it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'll check what I've got at home and I'll let you know. It's a Tandy 1000...something.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ZombieRyushu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I know a ton about the Tandy 1000 Series.

Can you tell me what model of Tandy it is? I can tell you what models of Tandy are good and what models of Tandy to avoid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had that model way back when. It is equivalent to a low end 286 (though it actually is in between a XT and a 286). It was decent for older dos games. 16 color graphics (similar to the pc-jr) and Tandy 3 voice sound which provided better music then the standard PC speaker music available in pc's of that era. It doesn't have nearly enough horsepower to run later era dos games though.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I've got a Tandy 1000 SX, which is very similar to the TX model. Mine has 680k on it though as opposed to the regular 384k.

I really like it, I think it runs DOS games pretty good. But then again the only thing I have is Ducktales: The Quest for Gold.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grenty View Post
    I had that model way back when. It was decent for older dos games. It doesn't have nearly enough horsepower to run later era dos games though.
    From what years do you consider older dos games? From what years do you consider later era games? Could you tell me from what years the games that run best on this system are?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psx95 View Post
    From what years do you consider older dos games? From what years do you consider later era games? Could you tell me from what years the games that run best on this system are?
    I would divide the two (at least for the Tandy 1000 TX) at around 1991/1990. (At least that was when I started noticing that my Tandy didn't have quite enough oomph for the latest games.) Of course there some earlier games could benefit from a more powerful machine and some later ones that would still run.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ZombieRyushu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh its a TX? Alright. You are somewhat in luck.

The TX Series came with 640 K of RAM, but are upgradable to 768 K of ram assuming you can find the Tandy specific chips for it.

The TX has standard ISA Slots. So like my Tandy 1000 TL, you CAN add VGA Support to it. You need to find an older era 16 Bit ISA VGA Card that supports between 256 KB and 512 KB RAM. only the 8-bit portion will fit in the slot with the 16 bit portion hanging off the back edge, but it will work. You will only be capable of 640x480.

But in doing so you will lose Tandy Graphics Adapter support, but GAIN EGA and VGA support.

Does this box have any sentimental value?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRyushu View Post
    Oh its a TX? Alright. You are somewhat in luck.

The TX has standard ISA Slots. So like my Tandy 1000 TL, you CAN add VGA Support to it. You need to find an older era 16 Bit ISA VGA Card that supports between 256 KB and 512 KB RAM. only the 8-bit portion will fit in the slot with the 16 bit portion hanging off the back edge, but it will work. You will only be capable of 640x480.

But in doing so you will lose Tandy Graphics Adapter support, but GAIN EGA and VGA support.

Does this box have any sentimental value?
    It doesn't have any sentimental value, but I do like it. I got it about two years ago from a church yard sale for free. I saved it because no one had bought it and I think they were going to throw it out. It came with a Tandy color monitor, so I don't think I need VGA support. The unit and monitor work and I just recently obtained a DOS game for it, but I haven't tried it yet. Do you know if the 1000TX is rare among vintage computers?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know what year the 1000TX came out? I know it was the mid-eighties but I was wondering the exact year. Also, does anyone know how much it cost upon release and what came with it? I am interested in the history of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know what year the 1000TX came out? I know it was the mid-eighties but I was wondering the exact year. Also, does anyone know how much it cost upon release and what came with it? I am interested in the history of it.
    Here is an ad with price, etc: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_L8BTRutV0u...TX+Ad+1987.jpg

Wikipedia has a good history of the Tandy 1000 models: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

It doesn't have any sentimental value, but I do like it. I got it about two years ago from a church yard sale for free. I saved it because no one had bought it and I think they were going to throw it out. It came with a Tandy color monitor, so I don't think I need VGA support. The unit and monitor work and I just recently obtained a DOS game for it, but I haven't tried it yet. Do you know if the 1000TX is rare among vintage computers?
    I don't think it's rare, as the Tandy 1000 series was pretty popular, but you can sell it for a good bit of money, about $80 I'd say for Monitor, keyboard, DOS Disk and CPU. The essentials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 1000TX with 2 floppy drives.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!