Thread: DS Lite Web browser

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default DS Lite Web browser

I'm getting one soon, I just want to know more about it,on my nephew's PSP..I can't get Vids to run..No Flash Player..but at the System Settings I have everything on

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

It's an old outdated version of flash, good luck getting most stuff to work with it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I'm getting one soon, I just want to know more about it,on my nephew's PSP..I can't get Vids to run..No Flash Player..but at the System Settings I have everything on
    Not sure about the specs on the old DS Opera Browser hardware/software (though I don't think it ever had Flash) but a PSP with fully upgraded official firmware does support Flash (around version 7 or 8).

The reason you cant get videos to run is that the PSP doesn't allocate enough memory/browser cache to support streaming video even with flash running.

But, you can get small sized flash applets to run and even load them onto a memory stick and run them offline from the internet browser.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The DS and DSLite Opera browser is very very limited in what it can do. I'm not even sure how many pages you'd be visiting now wouldn't be broken beyond recognition due to the new code in them.

You do however have a much better browser with the DSi, but alas, I do not know of that browsers full capabilities as I don't yet own one. (I do think there is a thread here on DP about it though, so let me go look.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Not sure about the specs on the old DS Opera Browser hardware/software (though I don't think it ever had Flash) but a PSP with fully upgraded official firmware does support Flash (around version 7 or 8).

The reason you cant get videos to run is that the PSP doesn't allocate enough memory/browser cache to support streaming video even with flash running.

But, you can get small sized flash applets to run and even load them onto a memory stick and run them offline from the internet browser.
    The PSP's browser uses Flash 6, which is why sites like YouTube don't work correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if memory limitations are a reason why it was never upgraded to a more up to date version of Flash required by most video streaming sites like YouTube.

As far as I know, hackers have never even been able to incorporate support beyond for ripping videos to your memory card and then playing them back, no steaming.

A nice workaround though is using remote access on your PSP to access your PS3 and it's web browser. YouTube works just fine then.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    The PSP's browser uses Flash 6, which is why sites like YouTube don't work correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if memory limitations are a reason why it was never upgraded to a more up to date version of Flash required by most video streaming sites like YouTube.

As far as I know, hackers have never even been able to incorporate support beyond for ripping videos to your memory card and then playing them back, no steaming.

A nice workaround though is using remote access on your PSP to access your PS3 and it's web browser. YouTube works just fine then.
    Ah, yeah, Flash 6 is pretty antiquated in terms of YouTube these days, but even back when it was current the PSP just can't handle large flash applications/files, the maximum memory/cache that it can allocate is still 2048kb...which is pretty miniscule.

I've seen a few homebrew apps/custom firmwares that can access Youtube and play video full screen ... though I'm not sure if those download/rip & play on the fly or actually stream the video.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm only going to use it on

Facebook
    Twitter
    Sega-16
    DP
    Myspace
    8wayrun
    Gmail