Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predictions on Value of COD MW2 Prestige Edition?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Predictions on Value of COD MW2 Prestige Edition?

I'm wondering if I should sell the one I preordered now and pick it up cheaper later on. Is this going to go the way of the Halo Legendary Edition or will it be more like the Metal Gear Solid 3 LE?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    I'm wondering if I should sell the one I preordered now and pick it up cheaper later on. Is this going to go the way of the Halo Legendary Edition or will it be more like the Metal Gear Solid 3 LE?
    MOST LE do not keep their value in the long run(a small percentage go up, and a large percentage go down). I find myself questioning buying any new LE editions. I LE run now is in the thousands, ten thousands, and in Halo 3 case...hundred of thousands.

I would sell it now, and who knows...you may not even want it later. I am sure that there will be other cool LE editions to hit the market.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Judging by recent threads, the price of the Prestige Edition has already hit $250.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Judging by recent threads, the price of the Prestige Edition has already hit $250.
    It's funny, I stopped by two Best Buy locations after work to shop for some clearance stuff and both stores had 3-4 Prestige Editions for both consoles still in stock at 7:00 p.m. Although this isn't Halo LE common, it sure ain't that hard to come by. In fact, most online retailers were selling it up until a week ago. I think this is going to drop down to MSRP or less within a few weeks when people realize how ridiculous the cheap goggles and plastic head are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno. There's someone on NA trying to sell a couple copies of the Prestige Edition for $250 each but everyone says they're pretty easy to find in stores.

I really don't see the Prestige edition being worth much more than what it's selling for right now. Same thing happened to SFIV & BlazBlue LE's after they we released but now you can get them pretty cheap.

Personally, I don't buy LE's anymore for collecting purposes. Last time I did that was with GTAIV and I still regret buying that thing. I'll buy them if I'm really hyped about the game though (like Demon's Souls).

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Better sell'em while ya can for that. It's simply initial hype that ain't gonna last.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I dunno. There's someone on NA trying to sell a couple copies of the Prestige Edition for $250 each but everyone says they're pretty easy to find in stores.
    The same guy posted that spam here.

Only get it if you're going to play with the NV goggles. ONLY!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you're buying the "LE" of an extremely popular game with the intention of having it increase in value, don't.

Generally, those things that are collectible and increase in value are either:

a) overlooked entirely and see an increase in demand later on
    b) available in extremely limited numbers (100,000 copies is NOT limited, more like 1,000 or less) and is desirable for one reason or another
    c) meets the above qualifications and is only available through a small retail channel

A version of a game that 95% of retailers carry and likely got 20 or more copies of will NOT be "rare" in the future and will likely decline in value once the hype winds down. If anything, the outer packaging will be more difficult to locate in good condition, not the contents.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

We were actually considering selling the hardened version game that comes with the Prestige version and then buying it back in 4-5 years for $10. :P

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

There's typically a formula for these things.

Value = genuine scarcity + market demand.

Where there's high demand and very little product the market value goes up.

Where there's high demand and plenty of product to go around the value will bottom out in the long-term.

Now, considering that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is one of the biggest releases of this decade, I'm guessing that Activision has a few million "limited editions" (yes, it's an oxymoron) out there, and that the demand will never warrant a long term increase in value, not to mention that this game is destined for future sequels which will over-shadow the momentary blip of uber-popularity for this entry.

Basically, this has everything working against it as an investment in value long term. (see Halo 3 helmet edition) There's probably room for a quick flip for profit if you got one and want to get rid of it when the first few shipments are scarse at retail.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    We were actually considering selling the hardened version game that comes with the Prestige version and then buying it back in 4-5 years for $10. :P
    I think this is good plan.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Why on earth would a manufacturer create an actual limited edition anyway? It's not like they would see any of the profits that are to be made on eBay. They put out just enough to make it seem scarce so everyone will buy them quickly thinking that they are making a great find. Meanwhile, there are enough copies out there to cover my apartment building (360 Perfect Dark LE anyone?). I daresay that most game companies are wise to the idea of people collecting video games and try to capitalize every chance they get, like a good company should.

With that said, $50 shipped, if you're really lucky.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

unless you know the actual print run of the games its only limited by how many people buy them. As gaming get more popular the less value "limited" has.
    Case in point would be the stupid x360 faceplate the ones that are numbered in a L.E. run can get pricey
    The only reason to buy anything limited edition now would be to get whatever extra comes with it.

Actually was there not one of the halo editions harder to get (sold less) then the other. legendary sold more then limited right? i dont remember.

my story from yesterday
    as far as the prestige edition i got one for ps3 yesterday from best buy. during lunch i stopped buy game stop and they had P.E for 360's but not ps3. lady walked in wanting a P.E for ps3 (she called the store but the store did not hold the copy) she supposedly drove down like 2 hours. I told her i got one from BB few minutes earlier and she say they were sold out. I sold her mine for $200 and get this she then she buys a new ps3 with a borderlands game............. i dont understand ........
    Anyway i ended up getting the MW2 250g 360 package.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the limited edition of Bioshock for 360 sealed and sold it on ebay a few months ago for around $250. So sometimes it can but for the most part I don't think so.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Why on earth would a manufacturer create an actual limited edition anyway? It's not like they would see any of the profits that are to be made on eBay.
    Atlus joked about that recently when the company somewhat tongue in cheek announced that future print runs would be normal scale. The gist of the statement was something like, "We will no longer release tiny print runs and then take advantage of the demand by leaking out a few copies at a time on Ebay to reap the rewards of inflated prices."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like most other limited/special editions of games(especially ones for popular games) the value of these will be falling very soon, espcially after the holidays. My Best Buy still has these in stock for both systems.

The only Modern Warfare 2 limited edition guaranteed to stay up in value longer than the holidays is the limited edition 360 console. And until Microsoft releases a stand alone 250 gb hard drive, thats going to remain at value or higher for quite a while.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on a related note , i went to gamestop today for there B2G1 used game sale , picked up 12 games went to pay and they had a brand new prestige edition sitting out there i inquired then returned 9 of the used games and picked it up for $150. Thinking about just putting it away along with cod 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say sell it. I tell the story all the time, but I got a brand new, sealed halo 3 legendary edition (the one with the helmet) for $50.

With how huge of a game that MW2 will be, it will be the same way. Why would they even consider doing a limited release for such a popular game? It makes no sense at all.

Wait on it and get it for $50 from Amazon like I did for Halo 3

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IcBlUsCrN View Post
    on a related note , i went to gamestop today for there B2G1 used game sale , picked up 12 games went to pay and they had a brand new prestige edition sitting out there i inquired then returned 9 of the used games and picked it up for $150. Thinking about just putting it away along with cod 360.
    I hope you're kidding. Have you not been paying attention to this thread or many others? It's not rare and not worth $150. In fact, it's still in stock at many stores over two weeks after release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    There's typically a formula for these things.

Value = genuine scarcity + market demand.
    I punched in the numbers and the answer is five.

Just five.