Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Borderlands worth picking up at full price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Borderlands worth picking up at full price?

I'm thinking of picking up Borderlands for PS3, and I'm wondering if it's worth full price or if it's more of a $30-40 game? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes.....it provides a nice blend of RPG/FPS and is fun online, with random people, so if you have friends it should be even better. There are 4 classes of characters and a ton of weapons.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On sale at Amazon for $50 today, and ships FREE. If you are gonna pick it up, might as well get a sale price.

#vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    On sale at Amazon for $50 today, and ships FREE. If you are gonna pick it up, might as well get a sale price.
    ...or just wait for the inevitable Black Friday super deal. I'm predicting $20 at Amazon.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    ...or just wait for the inevitable Black Friday super deal. I'm predicting $20 at Amazon.
    Unfortunately not this year I will keep you posted. Look for a sticky in the Deals forum as soon as I can.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone that bought it full price, my answer has to be: no. It isn't like a FPS version of Diablo. It IS a FPS copy of Diablo. Really, really monotonous. Right mouse clicking the same shit in the same spot over and over and over again has been replaced with shooting the same shit in the same spot over and over and over again. Single player is a serious snooze-fest. Make sure you have three other human beings to share the boredom with or risk serious buyer's remorse.

It isn't a bad game, just...God...once you reach level 10 the shallowness of the experience really kicks in. I guess I just expected more out of it. Beautiful visuals and atmosphere though.

I'm at level 23 right now...so, I mean, maybe I'm missing some huge revelation that happens at level 30 that will make me think this game is the shit.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking I might just wait until it's down to $30-40, cuz if a lot of the game's value is in multiplayer it would be a waste for me to spend $60 on it considering I'm not really into multiplayer/online gaming. The fact that it has some RPG elements as well kinda makes me hesitant to spend $60 on it, as I'm not an RPG fan. Is it more of a shooter than RPG, or the other way around?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wanted to like this game more than I did, but I second that it is very, very monotonous in single player. I got up to level 11 and just lost interest. The visuals are great, the setting is fine, but there is something about the gameplay that didn't quite "hook" me into it fully. I tried splitscreen with my neighbor, and she didn't really like it either. Didn't hate it, but didn't like it. I rented it for $3.64, so I don't feel too remorseful or anything. I would say rent it first.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't like Borderlands entire idea so I haven't and probably won't pick it up. However. This IGN video owns.

Borderlands is for Real Gamers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUJrKGN3C0
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Or the even more inevitable Steam deal. Will it be $5, or $10 ?

Nothing is worth picking up at full price anymore - unless it's poised to vanish into obscurity due to lack of popularity.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those that are level 11, 23, your not even done with the game so its really hard for anyone to take your review to be honest.

I liked it, I rented it for a week got through it ( logging some serious hours to do so), and enjoyed it alot, I would say mplayer is good but I didn't try it much, as it would end up me having to backtrack alot of the time to help folks.

Theirs two runs of the game, you beat it go back through enemies are higher level etc to get to 50. Zombie Island should be out before the end of the year. But with it being a month or so after release I wouldn't pay full price , maybe 40 or so for it.

Right now no one is offering it as a discount for Black Friday, but again amazon's ad isn't out yet.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch View Post
    For those that are level 11, 23, your not even done with the game so its really hard for anyone to take your review to be honest.
    Give me a break.

If the game can barely keep me from taking a nap by level 23, almost the halfway point level wise, something is seriously flawed. 23 isn't an hour of screwing around with the game then writing it off. That's at least three serious, three-five hour sessions with other players at the same level.

It isn't a horrible game, but it is really fucking monotonous. It's a photocopied Diablo design document with whiteout and red pen notes all over the place. Diablo wasn't a horrible game either, but it hit a point of being monotonous as hell as well. You're going to fight the same spawned enemies in the same situations over and over and over and over and over...

I'm not entirely sure how you made it through SP without falling asleep. The only thing that keeps me going to the end is a commitment to three other players to beat it and my buyer's remorse. Find it for 20 and you're golden. Find it for over 40 and you have a chance you're gonna be in my situation. Rent it and maybe you'll love it like Brykasch.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree Sosage, the game is incredibly boring as a single player experience. It's a real blast in co-op with at least three people. I stopped playing it at level 36 and haven't felt like going through my second playthrough. Also it's real easy to get all the achievements, if that matters to you.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Maybe I'm wierd, but I'm really enjoying the single player experience. It's no Bioshock, but it's pretty compelling. I'm really enjoying it.

Maybe it's because I don't play that many FPS games. I'm really not that interested in Call of Duty/Halo etc. because I'm not into the military themes. The dialogue in those games tends to be pretty emotionless (this was a big reason I didn't finish Mass Effect) and I just feel Military-themed games are so busy emulating reality that they're kind of bland.

I like Borderlands because it's a well-made shooter with an interesting backstory and some nifty gameplay mechanics. Multiplayer is great, too! (Kind people will occasionally give you weapons that are really advanced just because they don't have enough space in their backpacks! It mixes up the mechanics quite a bit, and adds for some variety). I like it. It's no Fallout 3, but I like it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

The game is really fun. I would say its worth full price. I've played the majority of the game single player and really enjoyed it... plus theres 4 player co op... cant go wrong with that.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Borderlands is a shooter, not an RPG. It has RPG qualities and a leveling system, but it's an FPS at its core. Everything about it is a throwback to the great shooters of the past, so if you like any side of the shooter genre, you should really enjoy it. Don't come expecting a hotkey-skill MMO, it's basically Quake with quests. Quake with quests, yeah, that's the best way to describe it...

As for the PS3 version, I heard horrible things about it initially. A guy I spoke with today claimed to have no problems with it, but he only played it recently (the patches are out, I'm sure). Since it's an FPS, it really shines on PC, so go that route if you can. I can see it feeling repetitive on a console, but headshots never get old with a mouse in your hand.

Online on PC is a bit troublesome, but it's good once you get your ports set right. I haven't played with random people yet, but the friends list works really well. You can invite friends to join you mid-game, which is great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well, considering you can get it used already I would say no its not worth buying new.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Borderlands is a shooter, not an RPG. It has RPG qualities and a leveling system, but it's an FPS at its core. Everything about it is a throwback to the great shooters of the past, so if you like any side of the shooter genre, you should really enjoy it. Don't come expecting a hotkey-skill MMO, it's basically Quake with quests. Quake with quests, yeah, that's the best way to describe it...

As for the PS3 version, I heard horrible things about it initially. A guy I spoke with today claimed to have no problems with it, but he only played it recently (the patches are out, I'm sure). Since it's an FPS, it really shines on PC, so go that route if you can. I can see it feeling repetitive on a console, but headshots never get old with a mouse in your hand.

Online on PC is a bit troublesome, but it's good once you get your ports set right. I haven't played with random people yet, but the friends list works really well. You can invite friends to join you mid-game, which is great.
    This is probably the most helpful info so far, but I think I'm gonna wait until it's in that $30-40 price range. I just can't get into spending $60 on many games anymore, although Uncharted 2 was worth every cent. Besides that God of War Collection is coming out next week, and considering I never got around to playing them on the PS2 (I don't quite know how that happened, I guess I was occupied with other games at the time) those games will keep me busy for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post

I agree with you except for "Quake with quests". Quake was/is a fast as hell, balls to the walls, bouncing off everything FPS. Someone my age is totally going to misinterpret that. :P I'm not sure what to call it though if we're gonna pull out old FPS's. Rogue Spear with quests?!?
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?