Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phantasy Star 0 thoughts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Ah crud, I haven't bought a new release game in years, but I'll have to break down and get this one. Even though it sounds a little awkward, and I have a DS but never play it for my deep dislike of Nintendo, I've got to grab this one. PSO was like heroin for me, even in single player mode, so I'll be on this one pretty quick.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I still type out Zero, because PS0 looks too much like PSO. Technically, it's "Phantasy Star Ř". I'm not looking up ASCII codes every time I want to differentiate PSŘ from PSO.

Pokémon... Pokemon... Brütal Legend...

Trust me, I was not trying to be critical or a know it all. I was just trying to Point out Sega's possible homage/subliminal message.

Zero and 0 are of course the same.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in a game right now, and I really wish the chat options were better. There's no "hold on" or AFK message. There's also no "I have to leave," the closest being "Leaving to city."

Someone before mentioned loading times. If you're referring to the white screens between rooms, it's barely noticeable. Since there's no zone loading times like every other PSO, it's a nice change.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm in a game right now, and I really wish the chat options were better. There's no "hold on" or AFK message. There's also no "I have to leave," the closest being "Leaving to city."
    I thought you could draw or type your own messages? You can't save those to your quick message section?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I thought you could draw or type your own messages? You can't save those to your quick message section?
    Not for non-friend games. We have to protect kids from inappropriate drawings, after all. >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Not for non-friend games. We have to protect kids from inappropriate drawings, after all. >_<
    That sucks, but in a way it's sortof a good thing. FOnewearls and FOnewms were the two main types I played as. I don't want some homos flirting with me every second I play multiplayer because I have a hot FOnewearl.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How in the HELLLLLLL do you beat the damn opctopus???? I guess I just need to level up but DAYUM! First level boss is as hard as damn Dark Falz!

I'm loving the hell out of this game, it's close to what PSU should have been and is a helluva lot better than it was and closer to the original, i'm really loving that they kept the photon weapon attributes from PSU though and added element damages also! I don't understand the "load time" gripe in this thread, what load time? THERE ARE NO LOAD TIMES. Can't believe you consider screen "transitions" as "load times", that's just false information.

This game "imo" is a reason to own a DS, as if there weren't already enough reasons....

My Friend Code:

Brandon
    4640 9543 8930
    Last edited by BHvrd; 12-16-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My thoughts are that your complaints are all very trivial. Are you people really not going to buy a game because there's a 2 second pause before a conversation starts? Talk about shallow, people.

BTW I beat the first boss with a Force at lvl 4. The game is difficult, not impossible. Spells also have different effects than each other, try using the spells next time instead of just reading the description.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    My thoughts are that your complaints are all very trivial. Are you people really not going to buy a game because there's a 2 second pause before a conversation starts? Talk about shallow, people.
    Wow talk about taking what I said way out of context. How'd you get the idea even that this was a make-or-break thing for me? Many problems are much much worse - mostly how poorly the menu system is designed, especially considering (a) how well it worked in previous games where you could still move while in the menu, and (b) the obvious yet completely-overlooked touchscreen capabilities for going through menus.

How about the complete idiocy of being UNABLE TO SEE your PP when you are using the menu to use fluids?

And I stand by "load times". I don't care if they're short, they're still load times. The screen flashes white for ~2 seconds everytime you talk to someone (this is a freaking RPG, that happens a lot) and in between every "room" in dungeons. Deal-breaker? No. Annoying? Yes.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since when do you talk to a lot of people in PSO? Between quests, maybe you'll talk to three NPCs.

I'm just thankful to have pocket-PSO. It's good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm confused about what's meant by the spells being identical. You look at PSo, and there you just map & cast. Granted, I don't remember being a caster in PSO. I did see FantasiaWHT modified his original statement.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Wow talk about taking what I said way out of context. How'd you get the idea even that this was a make-or-break thing for me? Many problems are much much worse - mostly how poorly the menu system is designed, especially considering (a) how well it worked in previous games where you could still move while in the menu, and (b) the obvious yet completely-overlooked touchscreen capabilities for going through menus.

How about the complete idiocy of being UNABLE TO SEE your PP when you are using the menu to use fluids?

And I stand by "load times". I don't care if they're short, they're still load times. The screen flashes white for ~2 seconds everytime you talk to someone (this is a freaking RPG, that happens a lot) and in between every "room" in dungeons. Deal-breaker? No. Annoying? Yes.
    I stand by my statement of TRIVIAL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not enough people listing friends codes! Start listing friends codes people!

Seriously this is my favorite game atm out of everything I play on PC and PS3, it's really hardcore and I can't believe the amount of game crammed into this DS cart, best RPG i've played in a LONG time, very challenging, resources are useful. We really need to get on the ball with this one cause as hard as it gets people are going to need help.

Btw, here are some codes for a vending machine in the sewers I guess "haven't made it there yet" but they sound cool:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/phant...ero/hints.html

I'm really going to be dedicated to this game, so anyone and everyone add me. Phantasy Star Zero Friend Code: Brandon 4640 9543 8930

Lets do this game up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Not enough people listing friends codes! Start listing friends codes people!
    Once it gets any sortof sale I'll be picking it up though so I'll add you then. Until that happens, it may take awhile. It's been awhile since I've bought a game at full MSRP. Batman Arkham Asylum and Demon's Souls. Well, not too long, but yeah. I was immediately on those. I'm currently working on some games so it'll be awhile before I go to something else.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Just finished Phantasy Star Zero/0/Ř (Is not division! ) about two days ago, and that was some fun all right! I do agree with a few of the statements made here, but I must say that when playing through the game before reading this thread I didn't even perceive any of that as problematic. I just took things as "the way the game is" - as in, some of it was oversight, but much of it was just a unique personality for PSZ.

I finished the story mode with the clock at around 17:38 hours, but that also includes probably about five hours of multi-player with a friend of mine. But since I did need all my levels to defeat the final boss, I guess that seventeen hours is a reasonable amount of time for the whole story mode whether you leveled-up through single-player or multi-player.

However now there are a lot of optional side quests and the more difficult modes to complete, so that's some things to look forward to. Plus I don't know about any of the Phantasy Star releases since PSO, but this game has the equivalent of achievements and there are many of those which I'd like to complete, plus a full bestiary and item collection lists to complete. Getting those achievements earns you items for the game, so don't forget that!

By the way, I found the artwork and character design quite appealing, and I may have discovered why: Toshiyuki Kubooka, the character designer from the LUNAR series, did the character artwork for this game. That's all the more reason to buy this PS entry!

Just wondering, but for those who have finished this game, where do you think it chronologically fits in story-wise? I know that the designers of the game called it Zero because it is supposed to be a new start for the series, unconnected to either PSO or PSU. But in my opinion, after seeing the end of the story, I think that the world you begin playing on is actually the original planet of those you see "later on" in the Phantasy Star Online series, just hundreds or thousands of years beforehand. Any thoughts?

Oh and by the way, since I have had so much fun playing the game with my friend, I'd certainly like to know if anyone here at DP is still up for playing online multi-player. If you are, post/repost your friend codes and let's schedule a time to play, Retrogaming Roundtable style!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been wanting to play this one lately, I don't think I got far when I started it originally. One of the triggers on my DS wasn't working, so I couldn't play it very well. I've since fixed it, but I just haven't had the time to play it at all, much less online. Still, I'd really like to finish it, maybe once I finish a few other titles I'll come back to it.