Thread: JVC X'EYE questions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default JVC X'EYE questions

I have some questions about the x'eye that I was wondering if anyone could help me with?

1. When I purchased my x'eye, it did not come with the JVC power adaptor. I have not been able to find a spare JVC adaptor, so recently I obtained a Sega CDX adaptor. I wanted to make sure that the CDX AC is safe to use on the x'eye for extended use? Even though the CDX adaptor puts out identical power ratings to the JVC adaptor, I am still not completely comfortable using a non-original AC adaptor.

2. Another question I had is if it is normal for the upper left area of the system to become warm during use?

3. The final question I have is about game freezing. I was playing the x'eye with the CDX adaptor today with two different games. I first played the Sega CD game Bram Stoker's Dracula for about an hour and a half, and on my last play-through the game froze after my character had died. I had to hit the reset button. Again, I had been playing for an hour and a half before this happened. I then played the Genesis game Batman. I had cleaned the cartridge contacts before I played, but when I put the game in all it did was display a black screen. I cleaned the contacts again, and was then able to get to the intro screens, but it froze. I hit reset and I was then able to play the game. However, it froze again as I was playing. Does anyone have any idea what is causing the freezing? Is it because of the CDX adaptor? Is it because of extended playing time? I would greatly appreciate your help.

4. Does anyone know where I can find an original x'eye adaptor and/or the manual for the system as these are very hard to find?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

number two is yes, the voltage regulator is located there and the area will get very warm, there is a mod that I and the creator did that installs a cooling fan in that area.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go to left coast games/sega parts and order the CDX power supply, it is identical to the JVC and makes a great replacement.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, misread your question, the CDX power supply has always worked for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Number 1 is yes, if it really is the CDX power adapter. Some people pretend the Genesis Model 2 power supply is the same as the CDX and it isn't. But it sounds like you've checked the ratings... so you're good.

Number 3... Some Sega CD games have freezing problems on some revisions of the Sega CD. That doesn't even necessarily mean that Bram Stoker's Dracula will freeze on all X'Eyes, just on the particular run of them that yours comes from. I've not heard of that game having any problems, but then again it's not a very popular game among Sega CD fans. As another example, some people have reported The Terminator freezing on their CDX. It doesn't freeze on my CDX, but it does freeze on my Model 2 Sega CD. It doesn't freeze on everyone's Model 2 Sega CD. It's a very weird problem that you can't totally pinpoint. I'm not sure what causes it, someone told me it was the BIOS version but that was probably just speculation. As for Batman, I have no idea why that wouldn't work. Have you tested the game on another Genesis, and played other cartridge games on your X'Eye? The AC adapter would have nothing to do with that, because even if you were using an improper one (which it doesn't sound like you are), the X'Eye doesn't draw as much power when it's just playing a Genesis game.

You shouldn't be concerned about the power supply, as long as the ratings match. But if you want to look for a JVC one, it's part number AA-S95J. Discontinued by JVC. I found a site selling it for thirty bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by ottojello View Post
    Go to left coast games/sega parts and order the CDX power supply, it is identical to the JVC and makes a great replacement.
    I bought a supposed "CDX power supply" from the previous version of sega-parts.com (before it was affiliated with Left Coast Games) and they sent me a model 2 Genesis one. Since it's not the same people anymore, it is possible that they have real CDX power supplies. But I just looked at their site, and under that listing, they provide no picture and don't list the model number or the specs. So I'd be wary of buying from them. The old sega-parts, from at least six or seven years and two redesigns ago, did have them.
    Last edited by j_factor; 11-16-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want another Xeye I can send you one for free. Not sure if it's working or not. It was part of a large lot I bought out. I have the system and controller and that is all. Let me know if you want it. $12 shipped.

- Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    But if you want to look for a JVC one, it's part number AA-S95J. Discontinued by JVC. I found a site selling it for thirty bucks...
    I just checked that link, went to buy and check out and it said there were 0 in stock, and no longer available.