Thread: NES still not wokring after pin replacement

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES still not wokring after pin replacement

Hi i repair consoles and broken stuff for a guy that has a video game stand at the local weekend flea market. He gets me all kind of broken stuff ranging from nes's, ps2's, xbox's etc. Usually I can fix most of it. Recently he gave me 2 NES's that were broke. As soon as i put the game in i could tell they both needed pin replacements. I made sure they turned on first then ordered the pins. I replaced both NES pins. One works One does not. The one that doesnt work just shows a black picture. Sometimes it still blinks even with the new pin installed as the other works first shot every time. But always just shows a black screen. Does anyone have any pointers to get this puppy running again.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You make sure the caddy lip is under the mobo, instead of on top? Clean the games? Disable the lockout chip( which you shouldnt need but is easy to do). Try both rf and av cables?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what do u mean caddy lip? It was put back the same way i took it apart with the new pins. hmmmm i think i will sand the contacts on the mobo clean them again. and test. if that doesnt work im soldering the dam pin to the board.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFAIK, replacement 72-pinners have an extra flap you need to worry about... makes me wonder why they don't come circumcised.

Also, the problem could be something other than the contacts. Did you check for blown capacitors, dead solder joints, etc.? Perhaps a botched lockout chip mod?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I briefly looked over the board and everythign looked ok to me. I will double check for sure. lol circumsized woulda been nice. lol. funny one. also i baught the 2 cheapest new pins i could find on ebay. maybe that was the problem. The one i sqitched worked like a charm. but this little hoe is givin me serious problems. All i did was open it up look at the board and switched the pins. Should i disable the lockout chip just for the hell of it or will it actually maybe fix the problem? Thanks for you help man. i appreciate it.

I dont think the pins i got have that extra flap. lol it seems to be on right. hmmmm

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a lip on the front of the black piece by the spring that goes under and clips around the board, but if you had that then the games woudnt go down, which mine dont anyways because I just rebend the pins. Use some dielectric silicone on the mobo contacts.

Either its the lockout or a dead circuit somewhere like betawolf said, thats why you should check with both rf and av ports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesnt work regradless what video connection i try. so what does that mean?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try not pushing the game down but just inserting it and turning it on, see how that works, on mine if you push it down it screws up. Just put it in and leave it up. try disabling the lockout chip, though if the same game works on one but not the other its not the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when ig et home at 6 i will try all of the above and get back to you. please recheck this thread sometime in the near future and check my status. i need help lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok i did the lockout mod and re replaced the 72pin. No more blinking light but still no video feed our sound through anything. where is the video and audio feed on the board so i can tap into it with new plugs. disregard that whole thing altogther?