Thread: New Classic Videogame Site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default New Classic Videogame Site

Kevin Muldoon of Retro Gaming Consoles interviewed me recently regarding my writing career and interest in gaming.

You can read it here:

http://www.retrogamingconsoles.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    Kevin Muldoon of Retro Gaming Consoles interviewed me recently regarding my writing career and interest in gaming.

You can read it here:

http://www.retrogamingconsoles.com/
    Sweet site and interview! Thanks,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sort of hurts the site when on the front page it mentions the NES as the "best selling console of all time," when it's not.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    It sort of hurts the site when on the front page it mentions the NES as the "best selling console of all time," when it's not.
    I agree. My first thought was that the PS1 and PS2 has sold a lot more. I'll email the guy and tell him.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's not like that tidbit of knowledge is hard to find. Next to all of the otherwise accurate information and good web design, that sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Yeah, it's not like that tidbit of knowledge is hard to find. Next to all of the otherwise accurate information and good web design, that sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Exactly. The rest of the site is overflowing with facts and information, but that's a glaring inaccuracy. He can call it the most beloved system of all time, the most influential, or whatever he wants, but both the PS1 and PS2 (and the Game Boy if we count handhelds) sold more.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the site, has a lot of good info. But, on the front page, it says that the Atari 2600 had the longest lifespan (1977- approx. 1991 according to the site). But, the Famicom was sold from 1983-2003 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6029220.html). Wouldn't the Famicom have the longest lifespan? But, that is kind of nitpicky, and like I said, the site has a lot of good info.
    Lurking since '05

Insert Coin (Level 0) Kevin Muldoon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed a little traffic from here in my stats so thought I'd drop by and say hello

First of all, thanks to Brett for taking part in the interview. I appreciate you making the effort

Secondly, I'm kind of embarrassed by stating the NES was the best selling console of all time. Sales of consoles is not something I ever really paid attention to before doing research for the site. I added those images shortly after adding the NES article and a few articles I read stated that it was the best selling console. Clearly they meant to say it was the best selling console at the time. I've since read a few articles which state the PS1 and PS2 sold more yet I didn't change it, it just slipped my mind.

With regards to the longest lifespan, most people recognise the Atari as number 1 as they are going with officially licensed games. Though if you count homebrew games or unofficial games then the order of consoles changes. Or do you count how long it was sold? It's kind of a grey area.

For example, if you count how long a console was officially supported then the Famicom would be the longest selling console however no new games were being released, they were only supporting customers with parts etc (and they have only stopped recently in Japan as they can't get the parts anymore).

It gets a bit more tricky if you count unofficial clones etc too. For example there are still lots of variations of the Master System and Genesis/Mega-Drive sold in Brazil (most of which come with built in games).

Thanks for the general kudos with respect to design/info. It's probably going to be a few months before I complete the major consoles as I want to make sure I cover everything about a console. When that's finished I'll probably get a better design made by a designer. I'm not really great with design, I simply modified one which was freely available and then edited it to suit my needs.

Seems like a great little community here. Bookmarked

Kevin
    Kevin Muldoon - My personal blog
    Retro Gaming Consoles - Please message me to add your gaming site to my links page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Welcome aboard, Kevin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Pirates don't count
    Actually, most of the systems were released by official sega distributors e.g. Tec Toy. So you would probably have to include it in any official list.
    Retro Gaming Consoles - Please message me to add your gaming site to my links page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, like I said, I was just curious. I do like the site though, keep up the good work!

And, I certainly understand that there are multiple definitions. In terms of the original manufacturer producing the system (as in, not Tec Toy, etc.), I think the Famicom/AV Famicom was the longest selling. But yes, in terms of other factors, there are many that also qualify (like, obviously, the VCS).
    Lurking since '05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    Welcome aboard, Kevin!
    Thanks Brett, good to be here

Quote Originally Posted by ice1605 View Post
    Yeah, like I said, I was just curious. I do like the site though, keep up the good work!

And, I certainly understand that there are multiple definitions. In terms of the original manufacturer producing the system (as in, not Tec Toy, etc.), I think the Famicom/AV Famicom was the longest selling. But yes, in terms of other factors, there are many that also qualify (like, obviously, the VCS).
    Yeah it's a bit of a grey area. But with regards to Tec Toy, I think you need to include it as it was an official distributor. For example, in Europe Mattel marketed the NES for years before Nintendo took distribution back over. Should the years that Mattel marketed the system not be included?

I think that really complicates the whole debate as in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was very common for games companies to use distributors (such as toy companies) because they were familiar with the market they were targeting. Even the Nintendo was originally going to be distributed by Atari before the ColecoVision Donkey Kong issue.

thanks again for the kudos on the site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Nudge nudge* You still haven't fixed your NES article.
    The NES has left behind a wonderful legacy. It is credited as kick starting the failing video games market in North America in the 80s, it’s simple controller became the basis for all future controllers and it set the standard for 3rd party games licensing. And let’s not forget it still holds the title for the best selling video games console of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Nudge nudge* You still haven't fixed your NES article.
    Thanks for that, I've been busy with my other sites the last few days and haven't had a chance to update the site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... yep... looks good now... except you spelled "gaming" wrong on the new NES header.

Sorry for being nitpicky. I'll go cut myself now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... yep... looks good now... except you spelled "gaming" wrong on the new NES header.

Sorry for being nitpicky. I'll go cut myself now.
    haha I actually fixed that when I removed the sentence you referred to. Must have rushed it yesterday, usually a spellchecker saves my ass but photoshop doesn't have one.

You're definitely not being nitpicky, I'd rather people pointed out errors than having them remain there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Muldoon View Post
    Thanks Brett, good to be here

Yeah it's a bit of a grey area. But with regards to Tec Toy, I think you need to include it as it was an official distributor. For example, in Europe Mattel marketed the NES for years before Nintendo took distribution back over. Should the years that Mattel marketed the system not be included?

I think that really complicates the whole debate as in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was very common for games companies to use distributors (such as toy companies) because they were familiar with the market they were targeting. Even the Nintendo was originally going to be distributed by Atari before the ColecoVision Donkey Kong issue.

thanks again for the kudos on the site
    Fair enough, as Tec Toy is a licensed distributor (I would like to point out, though, that for every year Mattel distributed the NES in Europe, Nintendo was selling the Famicom and the NES, whereas Sega doesn't manufacture consoles anymore).
    Lurking since '05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ice1605 View Post
    Fair enough, as Tec Toy is a licensed distributor (I would like to point out, though, that for every year Mattel distributed the NES in Europe, Nintendo was selling the Famicom and the NES, whereas Sega doesn't manufacture consoles anymore).
    Very good point