Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Hawk Ride - final nail in the franchise coffin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

THPS2 is my favorite of all time. That being said, I'm thinking of buying the new one for the Wii for my son for Christmas. He will have just turned 8 and I think he'll enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumping this thread. I own Tony Hawk: Ride, and I have no clue what people are talking about, but this game is fun.

There is a pretty big learning curve on this game, but it is very fun. If you have never stepped on a skateboard before, the curve will be much tougher.

Now, this is not realistic skateboarding. The best way to describe this is that this does for skateboarding what rock band did for being in a band. That is actually the best I can put it.

Now, doing a bunch of trick seems to be a little off and on for me, which is really my only gripe. Most of the time I am doing kick flips and heel flips, but then on random, I will get a cool move.

Also, when you get your special, it is iffy on how to make it work. I have had on multiple occasions where my special bar was filled up, but nothing happened.

If you are not trying to get ach points for your 360 (which is what I am doing), than it is actually super fun. On the levels where there are not ach points and I am just playing the level, it is actually super fun.

Turning is one of the learning curves you will need to get over, but once you do, it is super fun.

I figured I would throw this information out there for anybody that is unsure about whether to purchase it but is thinking about it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Bumping this thread. I own Tony Hawk: Ride, and I have no clue what people are talking about, but this game is fun.

There is a pretty big learning curve on this game, but it is very fun. If you have never stepped on a skateboard before, the curve will be much tougher.

Now, this is not realistic skateboarding. The best way to describe this is that this does for skateboarding what rock band did for being in a band. That is actually the best I can put it.

Now, doing a bunch of trick seems to be a little off and on for me, which is really my only gripe. Most of the time I am doing kick flips and heel flips, but then on random, I will get a cool move.

Also, when you get your special, it is iffy on how to make it work. I have had on multiple occasions where my special bar was filled up, but nothing happened.

If you are not trying to get ach points for your 360 (which is what I am doing), than it is actually super fun. On the levels where there are not ach points and I am just playing the level, it is actually super fun.

Turning is one of the learning curves you will need to get over, but once you do, it is super fun.

I figured I would throw this information out there for anybody that is unsure about whether to purchase it but is thinking about it.
    I'm sorry, but this game has received universally poor reviews and I actually played it for an hour yesterday and to say the board is completely unresponsive is an understatement. It reminds me of one of those pre-Wii plug and play snowboarding or baseball TV games where occasionally the on-screen action seems to match what you're doing, so you convince yourself it's working. The game is frustrating as hell simply because the board is not well designed for the tight confines of some of the level designs. I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said that doing tricks seems to be off. I don't know about you, but that's why I play skateboarding games. I'm not interested in skating around and looking at the scenery. This will undoubtedly be the worst selling Tony Hawk game in the franchise history and I strongly anticipate that the game will be available for half or less of the MSRP by January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Real skateboards are completely unresponsive, wtf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who nearly went pro as a skater years and years ago, I haven't looked back at the pathetic TH series after EA's Skate came out. There is absolutely no comparison between the two.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to my friends duplex over the weekend and saw the skateboard and game next to his tv. We fired it up and I must say WOW this game is mediocre. I really did not care for the control or gameplay. The whole time I was trying to master things and find the fine tuning points. My friend said it best, "I played for 5 hours straight and I still get better results from not trying so hard and just randomly moving the board." I kept playing and I guess I kind of got the hang of it, but overall it's a fairly blah experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

My friend really wanted it until he tried the demo that is set up in our local BestBuy here. Pretty lame according to him and it seems to be pretty half baked.

What were they really thinking? Is physical interaction now the norm for crap?
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    matth35

I really really really really......REALLY...hope this is the LAST tony hawk game. People weren't seriously impressed with it at e3, I wasn't impressed with it at e3 either. In fact the only good part about this game at all is that while i was at e3 doing promotions for ghostbusters tony hawk walked by my friends and I who were in full gb gear and said "Don't slime me guys" and walked off. That was awesome.....but the game sucked.
    Last edited by GameBoyGeek; 12-07-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

They've been on a decline since 3 came out. I did enjoy Project 8 at first but quickly grew tired of it. Haven't even tried PG and whatever else came out after that between PG and RIDE, if any. I seriously don't even know anymore.

A downloadable version of 1+2 in HD would be awesome, so long as Treyarch doesn't get involved. 2X on the xbox was awful.
    Last edited by Nesmaster; 12-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What was wrong with 2X?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    What was wrong with 2X?
    I'm wondering this too, I really enjoyed 2X

Insert Coin (Level 0) punkrockdave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember getting drunk for the first time playing THPS1 shortly after it came out(i'm 20 so i figure i was simi young) also I hate to be "that guy" but wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy a real skateboard and learn to actually do it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockdave View Post
    I remember getting drunk for the first time playing THPS1 shortly after it came out(i'm 20 so i figure i was simi young) also I hate to be "that guy" but wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy a real skateboard and learn to actually do it?
    It is cheaper, but you won't hurt yourself as much. I am only 27 and have some issues with my lower back from when I used to skateboard.

I do not work for Activision, so I won't sit here trying to self promote it, I was just pointing out that I truly enjoyed it.

I am curious, what do you guys not like about it?

I mean, for a skateboard controller, you can't expect tony hawk 2 on it. It is the same principle with drums being considerably easier on rock band 1.

Is it the fact that we need to stand up and do something?

Doing an ollie and then a kick flip is not all that difficult. Me, personally, my issue is that I never looked at a moves list, so I am totally guessing at what I am doing. The best way to describe it would be to randomly hit the buttons and get pissed at Tony Hawk 1 when you can't pull a 900 with Tony Hawk because you don't know what you are supposed to hit, and only assume that the game should just magically "know" that you want to do a 900.

That is the reason why I can't pull off any moves. Sure, it sucks that I don't have a moves list, but I am not frustrated, it is just a gripe that we are given a short tutorial and then we have to just "figure" out the moves.

I can guarantee that once I find a moves list, I will do 1million times better at the game.

As for unresponsive skateboard: you should return yours. Seriously. Your skateboard is busted. I have not had any issues at all with it being unresponsive.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It is cheaper, but you won't hurt yourself as much. I am only 27 and have some issues with my lower back from when I used to skateboard.

I do not work for Activision, so I won't sit here trying to self promote it, I was just pointing out that I truly enjoyed it.

I am curious, what do you guys not like about it?

I mean, for a skateboard controller, you can't expect tony hawk 2 on it. It is the same principle with drums being considerably easier on rock band 1.

Is it the fact that we need to stand up and do something?

Doing an ollie and then a kick flip is not all that difficult. Me, personally, my issue is that I never looked at a moves list, so I am totally guessing at what I am doing. The best way to describe it would be to randomly hit the buttons and get pissed at Tony Hawk 1 when you can't pull a 900 with Tony Hawk because you don't know what you are supposed to hit, and only assume that the game should just magically "know" that you want to do a 900.

That is the reason why I can't pull off any moves. Sure, it sucks that I don't have a moves list, but I am not frustrated, it is just a gripe that we are given a short tutorial and then we have to just "figure" out the moves.

I can guarantee that once I find a moves list, I will do 1million times better at the game.

As for unresponsive skateboard: you should return yours. Seriously. Your skateboard is busted. I have not had any issues at all with it being unresponsive.
    I'm willing to accept that there are certain games that certain people love and the rest of the world will never understand the reasons why. Perhaps this is one of those games. Having played it myself prior to reading and watching all of the universally bad reviews, however, I think you really are the only person in the world who finds any enjoyment in this game. The skateboard is just flat out not accurate and as my skating friend told me, so much harder to make work than a real skateboard that he can't believe anyone with skateboarding experience actually worked on the controller.

Why can't we expect TH2 with the controller? It's $120 and they had all the time and resources in the world to make the best game possible. Instead, they delivered a broken piece of junk that everyone I know who has played it hates.

In closing, let me just say that I think you are being dishonest with yourself. Your own review uses phrases like "iffy" and "a little off". That's not what should be expected in a game with this pedigree, especially at this cost. I'm sorry you're out $120, but please don't try to convince the rest of us to waste our money as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hahaha, this is strangely turning into the Sonic 2 thing for me. I will not justify this game. I will never say it is a good game. I just personally enjoy it. If you guys do not like it, well right on.

As for the unresponsive controls, I am actually going to correct myself on that one. The tricks seeming to be random I am also going to correct myself on as well.

For the flip tricks, I have no mastered them, but have an incredibly good grasp on them, and they actually do what I tell them to.

I am going to actually make a new thread for just a trick guide. That is the only reason why I am making the thread. There is pretty much nothing else online that explains the tricks, so I might as well explain them.

By all means, bash on this game all you want. I figured I would make that new thread so that people that try the game and think everything is random, maybe I can explain some stuff, and they will have a better understanding of the way that the sensors see what you do and how many of the tricks work.

EDIT: After figuring a bunch of this out enough to write up a guide for it, really, the game is super accurate. Yes, there is a learning curve on it. Asking a skateboarder to play the game is like asking somebody who plays drums in real life or somebody who plays guitar for a living to try and play one of the countless rhythm games out there.

I am retracting what I said on that previous statement. I will keep it there, but all of that stuff I said is false since I sat down and figured everything out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) We Are Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Wearen1nja
    PSN
    Weareninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Tony Hawk Ride was essentially DOA from the start for three main factors:

1. It's another big piece of plastic tossed into the fake instrument pile...
    2. Attached to a franchise that died the day Skate 1 released...
    3. And was presumed dead 15 minutes after unveiling when Project Natal was announced at E3.
    QFT.

1.) That was the first thing I thought the first time I saw the board. "Guitar Hero sells like crack. Peripherals sell. Let's stake our entire franchise on that ideal!"
    2.) Skate absolutely murdered the entire franchise with a single shot... "the old and derivative" vs. "the new hotness". No contest. THPS needed a huge shot of innovation, but NOT LIKE THIS.
    3.) It was presumed dead 15 minutes after they announced the $120 price tag... The game should've been released on the Wii. The Wii fit board already has a huge install base and they could've created an attachment that would place sensors on the board's perimeter... Besides, people that bowl and box and play tennis w/ the Wii-mote would definitely get off on something like this...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The game with board is now $20 at Best Buy, for those who care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At my Best Buy the PS3 version of the game with board is $27.99.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.