Thread: Need more Saturn gaaaames!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need more Saturn gaaaames!

Okay, first off, this is not a bragging post to show off my collection, it's not even that big. I've just ran out of clues as to what to buy next. I don't collect just for the sake of it, I play every game that I own. $1 garbage exists for every console, but it's just not my collecting style (except for the Gundam series, I just bought 'em for shelfspace).

Anyway, I'll list the games that I own for the Saturn, and if you know of any good games that I don't have, please let me know.

Shmups:

Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius
    Sexy Parodius
    Gokujō Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
    Gradius Deluxe Pack
    Salamander Deluxe Pack
    Gradius Deluxe Pack
    Darius Gaiden
    Layer Section
    Layer Section II
    Batsugun
    Battle Garegga
    Cotton 2
    Thunder Force Gold Pack 1
    Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
    Thunder Force V
    Bokan To Ippatsu! Doronboo Kanpekiban
    Radiant Silvergun
    Soukyugurentai
    Twinkle Star Sprites
    Steam Hearts

Fighters:

X-Men vs. Street Fighter RAM Pack
    X-Men - Children of the Atom
    WakuWaku7
    King of Fighters '97

Platformers:

Keio Flying Squadron 2
    Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
    Steamgear Mash
    Mizubaku Adventure
    NiGHTS Into Dreams
    Christas NiGHTS
    Prikura Daisakusen
    Princess Crown
    Capcom Generations 2
    Burning Rangers
    Silhouette Mirage
    Guardian Heroes

Puzzles:

Pukunpa
    2Do Arukotowa Sandoahru

Gungames:

Virtual Cop Gun Bundle
    Virtual Cop 2

Digital comics:

Policenauts
    Snatcher
    Yumimix Remix

Strategy:

Super Robot Wars F Final
    Mobile Suit Gundam
    Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny Vol. 1
    Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny Vol. 2
    Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny Vol. 3
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren's Greed

I think that's it. Like I said, I need more Saturn games, as it's my favourite system. Some more platformers and fighters would be good.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nico87; 11-21-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a couple excellent Vampire Hunter/Saviour games, almost shocked you don't have those since they're cheap. And excellent.

Pocket Fighters is also pretty great. It's a bit simplistic tho, perfect for me cuz I suck at fighters, but might be too shallow for a fighting game fan.

Then there's Marvel Super Heroes and MSH vs Street Fighter.

As far as platformers, there's Clockwork Knights 2 (the second one is much better than the first, tho the first one is also good). Pandemonium and Mr. Bones are also great. There's three Mega Man games. But if you're looking for Japanese-exclusives I really don't know of any good platformers besides what you have (and besides the Castlevania game).

Dungeons & Dragons Collection is a good beat-em-up set of two arcade games that play similarly to Guardian Heroes.

There's a Metal Slug game, but I haven't played it.

If you want any more shmups, the two Cotton titles are ace. I also really enjoyed Sol Divide.

Finally, three of my favorite games for the system are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Terra Fantastica and Wakenroder, but these are RPG and strat/RPG games.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought Vampire Hunter and Vampire Savior just now. Thanks!

I have Panzer Dragoon Saga for my NTSC US Saturn, sorry for not mentioning that.

I'll look into Cotton Boomerang (Cotton for the PC Engine is one of my favorite shooters), though I've heard it can be expensive.

I'll look into MSH and MSH vs SF, and Pocket Fighter aswell. I'm not really an avid fighter gamer/fan, either, so I guess PF will be decent enough. It certainly looks good!

I've read alot about the D&D Collection, but I don't buy games for over $100 that often, but it's on my to-buy list.

Thanks for the recs!
    Last edited by Nico87; 11-19-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    I'll look into Cotton Boomerang (Cotton for the PC Engine is one of my favorite shooters), though I've heard it can be expensive.

I've read alot about the D&D Collection, but I don't buy games for over $100 that often, but it's on my to-buy list.
    You're mentioning how Cotton Boomerang can be expensive but at the same time in your list you have several games which are(were) known to exceed $100 on average. Strange.

Anyway, Boomerang is good, although hardly my favourite shooter, it sees very little play compared to the rest. If you enjoy the Cotton series I cannot see how you'd be disappointed since it's a reworking around the Cotton 2 engine/mechanics and for the better.

The D&D Collection is 'alright'. Personally, kaillera/2df make this obsolete as you can not only play it on PC via emulation in English but without loading and with a partner most of the time. Games like these are always better with teams/partners and so unless you have someone willing to pair up most of the time it's not really worth it. As mentioned these games aren't in English which takes some away from the experience. Not unplayable but not totally understood (items/spells & the occasional dialogue). In addition, most people will tell you Shadows Over Mystara is the reason to get this pack. It's a huge update to the original Tower of Doom in almost all respects: graphics, music, challenge, etc..
    The problem lies in the fact SoM has lots of intermittent loading, due to perhaps not optimizing the 4MB expansion memory. Having said this, I would never buy this game had I known all this in the first place. Perhaps if it was 10 years ago it would be a much different story (as CPS-2 wasn't yet cracked) but nowadays there's little reason to drop money here.

Looking over your list, you seem to have all bases covered. To me it seems like enough games to keep anyone satisfied, and if not, why keep all these games anyway? I used to come from a collector standpoint myself but I eventually realized I'd only keep games around I want to play since I've progressed to be more of a player. If you ask me play the games you've got until you're spent. I suspect you own other systems with games too so if you're bored on Saturn there's likely possible suitor to fill it's void.

I'll make some mentions, but I still suggest keep what you play and flip the rest.

Shooters:
    Darius 2 (An excellent port of the arcade original, if you enjoy Darius this is sure to please, simple as that.), Blast Wind (I actually wouldn't recommend this as it's a short game [6 stages] with no unlockable content and it's not too challenging, just requires some memory and patience. I will say since every stage has 2 unique paths and the player 2 ship is quite different, perhaps there is a reason to investigate.), Hyper Duel (Pretty frustrating game at times even if it is Technosoft, aka expected frustration. Same deal as Blast Wind, nothing to unlock although it is longer but requires more patience and has a new Saturn update in addition to the original arcade game. I'd suggest sinking some time in MAME with original Hyper Duel before making the plunge on Saturn. For what it's worth, Saturn mode is better.), Metal Black (I wouldn't bother since it's seen ports to the Taito Legends series and it's quite playable in MAME with little difference. Not only but I usually play with auto-fire which has be via hardware on Saturn.), Kingdom Grand Prix (I've gone on far enough with shooters, but this is a fine Raizing game with has the ability to avoid the default Race Mode with a konami-code type code. Good music and nice 2D visuals, plus it has TATE. Good challenge here.), etc..

Platformers:
    Dark Savior, Tryrush Deppy, Astal, etc..

Puzzle:
    Cleopatra Fortune (Really expensive and eh... can be counter-stopped, not a huge recommendation. Also in Taito Legends sets.), Baku Baku Animal (Not my cup of tea but it's quality to be sure.), Lode Runner & Lode Runner Extra (The Legend Returns. It's a great game. And both a fairly cheap.), and I don't like Puyo Puyo or Columns so I don't recommend either of those.

Various:
    House of the Dead (Cheap imported although don't hold your breath, it's nothing compared to the original.), Kyukyoku Tiger 2 Plus (Slightly less than perfect port from Taito F3, still a fair game although Naxat could've done much worse. I enjoy the game though and has the important TATE mode.), Daytona USA Circuit Edition (Again, import is cheap and it has lots of modes and improved graphics although not quite the same feeling as original Daytona, sadly.), Race Drivin' (Hey! It's region free, it's fairly accurate compared to arcade and it can be fun, plus it's real cheap.), etc..
    Last edited by fahlim003; 11-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice post!

Yeah, it's true that I have several games which is very expensive, which makes me feel that I've spent enough money on these $100++ games, hence my comment in my previous post about certain games that can be expensive. It's not like I just spend money for the fun of it, I have a budget like (almost) everyone else.

You might be right, I might be bored of the Saturn. I started collecting for the Mega Drive some weeks ago, and I still have a lot of games to be bought for that system.
    I just feel that I want to get "done" with the Saturn before moving to another system entirely. I'm also semi-collecting for the PC Engine, so that's a "post-Saturn" possibility aswell.

Thanks for the recs again, will check 'em out.
    Last edited by Nico87; 11-20-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Elevator Action Returns, Guardian Force

Steam Hearts, teehee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cant go wrong with puyo puyo sun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bulk Slash is probably my favorite non-Shmup Saturn game. The controls are kind of weird which made me immediately stop playing and dismiss it as another generic mech game. After retrying it later I was surprised by how fun it is to play through. Definitely worth a purchase.

It's a fairly tough game to find but usually not too expensive. If you want to have a mint one you'll have to buy the re-release though. All of the original print runs had a glossy cover on the manual which unfortunately sticks quite readily to the CD case. This makes finding one without a damaged manual pretty much impossible.
    Last edited by Mark III; 11-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keio Flying Squadron 2!!