Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: XBOX360 Ban (modded consoles) class action lawsuit - update - I got my stuff back :D

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

It affects the playability of the hard drive and the 360 as a system. It does not affect the console.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    It affects the playability of the hard drive and the 360 as a system. It does not affect the console.
    So now you're saying "the 360 as a system" and "the console" are two different things?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

I was phrasing it in a way that was easier to understand. Since system and console are generally used interchangeably, I did want to point out the difference. When I originally said "only the console is affected" I meant it as the actual console - faceplate power supply, disc tray, etc. In post #181 I was merely stating in a way to make it a little more clear.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

It affects the playability OFFLINE

You can still use your Xbox to play 360 games. Just not online.
    If I bought those Joust,Robotron,Uno redemption cards at Best Buy and have the games on the hard drive from what people are saying those games no longer work offline or online. So you CAN'T play those particular 360 games that you paid for OFFLINE.

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you are a little misinformed. What Microsoft did does not affect the console in any way, shape, or form. You can still use your Xbox to play 360 games. Just not online.
    it does indeed affect it in some shape or form aside from simply accessing xbox live. Aside from "corrupting" the game saves making them playable only on that banned 360 unless you do some trickery, it also:

-Disables the ability to to install games to the HDD.
    -It prevents watching AVI/XVID/DIVX content without the original hard drive installed. Thus tethering that original hard drive on that 360 which sucks if it's a 120 gig drive and you need to move it to another since you want it for installed games
    -Although video streaming still works, it disables the Windows Media Server connectivity (which has nothing to do with xblive). So you can't watch that home vid on your computer via your 360 media center anymore.
    -Now, not being banned myself..I can't confirm this, but I hear it It disables the ability to play the full version of bought & paid-for xblive arcade titles on that console as mentioned above.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has become public self-flagellation...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was phrasing it in a way that was easier to understand. Since system and console are generally used interchangeably, I did want to point out the difference. When I originally said "only the console is affected" I meant it as the actual console - faceplate power supply, disc tray, etc. In post #181 I was merely stating in a way to make it a little more clear.
    So as long as the machine itself is capable of being powered on then everything is ok regardless of what other effects there may be?

I'm not trying to be better than everyone, I just am.
    Ok, joke's over. Where's the camera? I've been trolled and didn't even know it.

In all seriousness, Porksta, I actually hope you are trolling because you've gotten increasingly less coherent as this has rolled along.

The great irony here is that I don't think this lawsuit will go anywhere. Maybe the third party peripheral one will but I doubt it about the first one. I just felt compelled to point out to Porksta how badly he's missing the mark.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 12-02-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    it does indeed affect it in some shape or form aside from simply accessing xbox live. Aside from "corrupting" the game saves making them playable only on that banned 360 unless you do some trickery, it also:

-Disables the ability to to install games to the HDD.
    -It prevents watching AVI/XVID/DIVX content without the original hard drive installed. Thus tethering that original hard drive on that 360 which sucks if it's a 120 gig drive and you need to move it to another since you want it for installed games
    -Although video streaming still works, it disables the Windows Media Server connectivity (which has nothing to do with xblive). So you can't watch that home vid on your computer via your 360 media center anymore.
    -Now, not being banned myself..I can't confirm this, but I hear it It disables the ability to play the full version of bought & paid-for xblive arcade titles on that console as mentioned above.
    Corrupted game saves affect the playability of a game? So you cannot play Mirror's Edge unless you have a game save already on the system? Huh?

Everything you mentioned has to do with having an authorized hard drive. Like I said, if you buy an arcade unit fresh from the box, it is the exact same thing as having a banned 360, only you cannot access XBL, which is exactly what I said in that quote you used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corrupted game saves affect the playability of a game? So you cannot play Mirror's Edge unless you have a game save already on the system? Huh?
    I don't know what you're talking about.. but what happens is if you have a saved game of mirrors edge on that banned 360, and pop that hard drive on an unmodded one, you will not be able to access that save, and effectively have to start over. But again, that's only "officially" what happens. Of course the method has already been figured out on how to get the saves working fine again on an unmodded (or any other) console. But the point is, that''s not what MS wanted and tried to prevent.. and it has nothing to do with xbox Live.

Anyway.. it's all moot as usual. As expected the pirates have already figured out the latest Firmware for the drives (after seeing the error of their ways with the previous ones causing the last ban wave) and soon the flood of modded consoles with (apparently) undetectable mods will come back online again.. all filled with people who willingly and eagerly violate their sacred TOS. And the back & forth continues
    Last edited by NE146; 12-02-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I think this is probably the best thing to come out of this thread.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    When we test systems that are traded in to the store sometimes a new game says you can not play it without an update and click here to update. So not being connected to live we click the button and now we have the newer screens with the avatar logo etc. You don't need to go online to get those system updates. Some of the newer titles have them. Not all systems are sold with hard drives and some people never go live.
    What I said is that the only way to download a system update through the console, if you choose to, is through Xbox Live. You can't simply connect to a server and download it. I know that some games have firmware updates on them, and also you could download on a PC and burn it to a CD-R. But what I was complaining about was the fact that the Xbox 360 has ethernet capability, but the consumer and third-party companies alike aren't really allowed to use it, solely so Microsoft can funnel all online 360 traffic through Live and charge a premium for online gameplay while preventing competition.
    Last edited by j_factor; 12-03-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Just as an update... through some clever soldering and NAND updating, I've managed to get all my save games back by flipping the "banned" to "not banned" on the console. I'm sure I broke another few "laws" by doing so, but I wanted MY stuff back. There's links on how to do it all over the xbox-scene forums/etc.

I copied all of my saves I cared about onto a Memory Card along with the old version of my profile.

So all of the "corrupted" data isn't corrupt, it's just made invalid by the change Microsoft made to the NAND on my console. I got my stuff back

I wiped the hard drive and that console is now back to living a new life under a new name. We agreed to never speak to each other again. After the kids left, it just hasn't been the same.

EDIT: Also, all the Divx/Media Player Extenders/etc work again on that console. I just can't put it on Live anymore, but it's really what they SHOULD have done.
    Last edited by skaar; 12-13-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Um...like a lawsuit? Isn't that what this is all about? Besides, this isn't a "rule." It's a policy. In fact, it's not even a policy. It's a contract. And the law, the real "rules" you seem to love to throw around, is very thin here so we actually don't even know what the "rules" are. It's entirely possible Microsoft is breaking them. But when you go around with this hard lined "follow the rules!" mantra with literally no qualification, as if Microsoft has any legal authority and what they say goes without any form of rebuttal, you sound like fucking Judge Dredd.

lmao lol i dont know how i missed this the first time but damn, this was an excellent post, couldnt have said it better myself, good shit
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Microsoft is allowed to say whatever they want and what they say does go - Live is their property. If Joe decides to only let men access this site, and bans women pretending to be men, he is more than welcome to as it is his site. Now also assuming he owns the servers, etc.

You said it yourself - it is a contract. By accepting the TOS you are bound to obey them. if you do not, Microsoft has every right to ban you. What about this do you not understand?
    it was once also against the law for black men to look at white women with lust in their eyes...whats your stance on that?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Just as an update... through some clever soldering and NAND updating, I've managed to get all my save games back by flipping the "banned" to "not banned" on the console. I'm sure I broke another few "laws" by doing so, but I wanted MY stuff back. There's links on how to do it all over the xbox-scene forums/etc.

I copied all of my saves I cared about onto a Memory Card along with the old version of my profile.

So all of the "corrupted" data isn't corrupt, it's just made invalid by the change Microsoft made to the NAND on my console. I got my stuff back

I wiped the hard drive and that console is now back to living a new life under a new name. We agreed to never speak to each other again. After the kids left, it just hasn't been the same.

EDIT: Also, all the Divx/Media Player Extenders/etc work again on that console. I just can't put it on Live anymore, but it's really what they SHOULD have done.
    So they impounded your data with a switch? They did design these things to suck, completely. :/

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

The thing is, the citizens of Germany and the Revolutionaries didn't click a box that said "I agree to adhere to these rules"
    apathy is consenting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WIN

Thread is over now.

All I can say is whether you like it or not, you need to read the TOS before you modify your stuff even if you are not pirating.

It is like me modifying my lancer. I have a bumper to bumper warranty, and I can potentially fuck up my entire warranty by modifying my car. Yes, I read the TOS of my warranty to ensure I did not fuck up my warranty.

It is unfortunate for the people that are not pirating, but I hate to be the dick, the TOS of the console should have said something about it.

If you mod, do not take it online. That is a very bad idea.

As for lawyers getting paid, they will get paid. Shit, if I was a lawyer hired for a case like this, I would get the money upfront instead of trying to get it from the winnings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    it was once also against the law for black men to look at white women with lust in their eyes...whats your stance on that?
    Laws do not equal TOS agreements.

Microsoft is not trying to sue or press charges against all of the people with modified consoles.

Throwing the race card in here = epic fail.

Sorry, but there is a huge difference.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    That herring you have there is very red.