Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We will ever see a major Retro Gaming Magazine?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default We will ever see a major Retro Gaming Magazine?

Now that I've been sucked into the world of Retro Gaming, I just wish that there was a Retro Gaming Magazine. I know that there are some magazines that devote a couple of pages to the old schools, but I wish there was a mag that was 100 percent devoted to Retro Gaming.

Certainly it's a very small market of people that are really into Retro Gaming, but if you go to some of those bookstores out there, you will see Magazines about virtually anything.

I mean if you are into old model trains and railroad tracks, there is probably a magazine for it.

I don't know of any specific magazine for retro gaming though. It would be sweet if there was one.

I guess the only way to deal with that, is to try to get issues of the old video game mags.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro Magazine

Check out GamesTM, it's a British gaming magazine that is around 40% retrogaming. You can find it at Barnes & Noble Bookstores.

There have been a few good efforts at retrogaming magazines, but they only last 3-4 issues. I guess there just is'nt enough support out there.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't Edge have a spin-off called "Retro" ? Or was that just a one off?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No longer printing, but a grand mag nevertheless, was Classic Gamer Magazine. Filled with nothing BUT classic gaming goodness. Alas, it became to expensive to produce, so it folded. However, you can get all the mags on a CD for good reading!

Like the Atari 2600? Then 2600 Connection is a great pub to subscribe to! Hovering around 16 pages each bimonth, 2600 Connection brings you news on new developments in 2600 homebrews, uncovered protos, etc.

Have I mentioned www.digitpress.com/join_us.htm]Digital Press? [/url] Before the DPG, a handful of ne'er-do-wells churned out this newsletter which covers the WHOLE of gaming - retro, modern, etc. Published irregularly, but damn fine reading whenever it does come out.

There are other pubs if you just look around...
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Digital PRess

You mean one other than the Digital Press 'zine? If you don't have a subscription, get one. There is also the 2600 Connection 'zine, intermittently published by our very own Russ Perry AKA Slapdash.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone
    Didn't Edge have a spin-off called "Retro" ? Or was that just a one off?
    Essentially yes. There was also a second issue but that was mainly a collection of previous "Making Of" articles from the real magazine. Plus a few new ones thrown in...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Retro Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by neotokeo2001
    Check out GamesTM, it's a British gaming magazine that is around 40% retrogaming. You can find it at Barnes & Noble Bookstores.
    GamesTM sounds great, although I haven't seen it at the local B&N. Now, when you say it's "40%" retro-gaming, you mean that each issue covers the entire range of systems, from VCS to Xbox? That's a really cool mix.

There have been a few good efforts at retrogaming magazines, but they only last 3-4 issues. I guess there just is'nt enough support out there.
    There's not enough readership and not enough advertising, since the latter is what keeps gaming magazines alive.

-- Z.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GamesTM does not devote 40% of the mag to retro gaming - I would say a rough estimate...having the issues beside me....is that they have about 15 pages of retro every month out of a total page count of around 175.

The rest of the magazine is devoted to newer stuff and imports etc but the retro section is very well done. It tends to cover a different system each month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Retro section in the current issue of Games, which I bought at Barnes & Noble last week, contains 25 pages on the history of Nintendo. Very nicely done.

I bought the first issue of Games at B&N back in January and didn't see it again until last week. #5 is the current issue out (although it says the next issue is due May 22)

By the way, I and a few partners looked into creating a retro magazine similar to Classic Gaming Magazine. The problem is that although there may be interest by people who want to read such a magazine, there would be very little interest by advertisers, the basic bread and butter of all magazines. Videogame manufacturers would have no interest in advertising in a magazine that caters to collectors.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

collector zines creep me out, its like following the stock market. sometimes i check out the sci-fi toys magazines and shudder to think that our hobby would ever get that "commercial". all they seem to focus on are high prices and the comic bookstore industry that creates them. maybe its too late but i hope our hobby never goes mainstream, i really enjoy the process of finding games in the wild and dont mind having people laughing at me for wanting "that old junk".

like most people here i was collecting for sometime before i discovered digital press and other retro sites, part of me misses that innocent fun. i still like to think the hobby can be just about gamers enjoying the classics and not about the money driven ugliness.

keep us off the newstand please, we've got all the community we need right here.
    ________
    Ford Fordor History
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see that Tim beat me to the obligatory Classic Gamer mention (though I'm not sure anyone's mentioned Syzygy yet - interesting mag with a definite "'tude"). As one of Cav's "workhorse" writers for Classic Gamer, I too wish it had carried on beyond its sixth issue. I was happy and proud to be a part of it, and I'd be there again in a New York minute if he wanted to pick up where we left off. You can click here and see some "posthumously" published articles from a seventh issue that never materialized; some of my stuff from the third and fourth issues are also reprinted here (with Cav's permission, of course). I'll get around to reprinting some of my stuff from the last couple of issues eventually. You'll no doubt be stunned to learn that I was the staff Odyssey 2 evangelist, though I did write other articles, including stuff about video game-related ancillary merchandise.

Oh, and it should be pointed out that Bill Kunkel joined us for the last issue (though he would've been on board for future issues, I'm sure). As an old-school Electronic Games fan, I got a personal thrill out of seeing my name and his both under the "staff writers" heading, amateur magazine or no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GamesTM is OK - it makes for good 'toilet reading' - an interesting flick for a few minutes, but it's yet to tell me anything I didn't already know. The Retro section seems more for newcomers than seasoned vets - theres a few minor errors every issue
    (ps. issue #7 landed on my doorstep this morning. It's not something I'd usually subscribe to, but for £2 ($3) an issue, it's hard to complain)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I have just a few words to say.

DIGITAL PRESS.

It's not a "retail" or "commercial" magazine, but why do you need that? Do you want advertising, stodgy editorials, and a million subscription cards?

Our 'zine has been publishing since 1991. Sometimes regularly, sometimes not. Now that Dave "Arcade Antics" Giarrusso is at the helm of the production, it's back on track. 51 issues of retro-gaming goodness. And quite frankly, I'd rather read a fan pub than a retail mag anyday, ESPECIALLY when it's regarding orphaned/vintage/retro ware. I think Game Informer does a good job, as does Tips & Tricks () but there's something very "at home" about the less glamorous approach. It just feels right to me.

It always has been and always will be what retro gaming is about, at least to me (and now I'm just a contributor)!

We now return you to your "retail" and "commercial" conversation.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Have I mentioned www.digitpress.com/join_us.htm]Digital Press? [/url] Before the DPG, a handful of ne'er-do-wells churned out this newsletter which covers the WHOLE of gaming - retro, modern, etc. Published irregularly, but damn fine reading whenever it does come out.
    True dat. Though we're nearly back on our regularly scheduled six issues per year track! That is, we'll definitely have six issues out this year, but one of the next two (#52) will be an eensy-teeny-tiny bit late. The good news is two-fold:

a) #52 will be WORTH the wait! (promise!) and
    b) #53 will follow very, very soon after #52 hits your mailbox.

As always, keep your eyes glued to this site for further updates.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    True dat. Though we're nearly back on our regularly scheduled six issues per year track! That is, we'll definitely have six issues out this year, but one of the next two (#52) will be an eensy-teeny-tiny bit late. The good news is two-fold:

a) #52 will be WORTH the wait! (promise!) and
    b) #53 will follow very, very soon after #52 hits your mailbox.

As always, keep your eyes glued to this site for further updates.
    Just out of curiosity, when abouts is #52 coming out? I've kinda lost track.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Just out of curiosity, when abouts is #52 coming out? I've kinda lost track.
    Very soon? How's that for a "definite maybe" ?

No official ETA yet, still waiting for the hand of the Mightiest of the Mighty (John) to work his magic and bestow upon us some stuff that you'll really, really dig reading. The plan is that it will be on its way to you by the end of this month with #53 following hot on the heels of #52.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big fan of GamesTM as well. My local bookstore occasionally gets them in. I've been able to catch issue #2 & just found #5.

Due to this, I've looked into subscribing. Incredibily, it's 53.00GBP to subscribe (about $89USD). Little too rich for my blood.

I know it's overseas & there's extra shipping costs, but subscribing usually saves you bundles off the cover price. With an $8.95 cover price, it comes to $107.40 for 12 issues - and that's if you don't have a discount card at your bookstore. So you're only saving $18 by subscribing.

I wish I lived in England!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

jay...I went on some videogame shopping last time I went to England, and despite the inferior magazines, we definitely have it much, much better. The English get ripped off on game prices. The best part, though, are the "US Imports", where the English chains were charging 20-30 bucks for games that you can't even give away here in the states.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like the Atari 2600? Then 2600 Connection is a great pub to subscribe to! Hovering around 16 pages each bimonth, 2600 Connection brings you news on new developments in 2600 homebrews, uncovered protos, etc.
    I should correct Tim here that it's 8 pages, always, since I took over.

Of course, though Tim says bimonthly, Ian was closer by calling it intermittant. Basically I'm way behind schedule, but really want it bimonthly, so I haven't changed the schedule to match my ability to produce issues.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I wish I lived in England!
    The magazine situation in England is incredible. I mean if they can have two truly serious gaming publications, why can't we have at least one??

Play was supposedly an attempt at that but come on!

I enjoyed game shopping in London. CEX Retro was great, and the Trocadero arcade was HUGE.

I bought bunches of European uniques as well as the occasional JAP and US import. Not too expensive(although your milage may vary with the exchange rate). It was nice to go in to a store with every system and every region. Usually I have to go to a bunch of different stores, or online to get that kind of selection.