Thread: SNES RGB clarifications

Insert Coin (Level 0) Rapier587's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES RGB clarifications

First Post.

I am thinking of modding my SNES Mk.II to output either S-video or RGB for the new LCD HDTV I might be buying soon. I've been doing some research and as of right now, I'm leaning towards doing the S-video mod but mostly because its easier to implement but I'd be willing to do RGB if I could get some clarifications.

1. RGB, as far as I know, is not the same as YPbPr so I wouldn't be able to easily plug my RGB wires into the YPbPr ports on the TV?

2. Could a VGA port be used to display RGB from my SNES, if I figured out a way to connect them?

3. VGA inputs require sync signals(usually vertical and horizontal).While there is a composite sync signal pin in the SNES is that signal alone enough to use a VGA port? And if so is it vertical or horizontal.

4. Most modders use a SCART cable to output RGB, however VGA Ports only accept video inputs. Are there SCART cables available that have seperate RCA plugs for sound outputs or will I have to splice my own.

5. Since I have a NTSC SNES, I'll need to make sure to have capacitors on the RGB outputs. How can I be sure that the SCART cable needed has these capacitors, or if not is it easy to pull apart the SCART cable and put it back together again (especially back together again).

Whew that was a lot. If anybody has some input it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just what I've gathered, don't take as gospel but it should get you pointed the right way:

1. Can't do it.

2. Emphatic no.

3. That and the need to upscale the output for your HDTV is going to make this much more complicated than simply finding and amplifying the right signals.

4. You'll have to splice your own, but what you describe sounds correct. Actually, my Supergun and some old computers (the MSX2 for example) have sound on one (or two? I forget) pins going out of the machine, and then they're carried on the SCART-alike connector, and from there they are split out by the device. The XRGB-2 does this; it's got spots to plug RCA audio cables right in.

5. You eventually end up soldering something.

6. There is an XRGB2+ for sale, not mine, but it should do what you need:
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29060
    You should be able to trust the seller. After that, you'll still need a RGB cable of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The past year or so I've gone down the RGB route and I've found it to be a fun hobby. Hopefully my answers help you out. If you havent gone yet check out www.gamesx.com for a ton of information and helpful forum members.

1. RGB, as far as I know, is not the same as YPbPr so I wouldn't be able to easily plug my RGB wires into the YPbPr ports on the TV?
    Correct. Component is a term that can refer to separated signal cables for different formats, but YPbPr is not the same as RGB. You will need an encoder/scaler to convert the RGB signal over. Which one is best depends on what sort of TV you have. Since you are getting an LCD HDTV, a HDMI scaler is probably your best bet. Only medical/professional level monitors here in the US can support those older RGB signals so thats the route I went, an NEC XM29+.

2. Could a VGA port be used to display RGB from my SNES, if I figured out a way to connect them?
    Yes and no. Although they are both technically analog RGB old RGB (analog CGA, as opposed to TTL/Digital CGA) signals don't fall within the same scan range as VGA signals, and use a composite sync and not H/V and you will need to use a scaler unit like I mentioned previously. For the best possible result seek out/buy an XRGB2 or XRGB3 (2 is better) for old games as it gives you the best possible result. Be forewarned that these can cost 200-300 bucks though, so the HDMI scaler would be your best bet.

3. VGA inputs require sync signals(usually vertical and horizontal).While there is a composite sync signal pin in the SNES is that signal alone enough to use a VGA port? And if so is it vertical or horizontal.
    See previous answer, but basically the composite signal is both on one wire. Another type of signal you will see here and there is sync on green. You can't use old RGB without upscaling/converting, and the device you choose will take care of the sync seperation for you.

4. Most modders use a SCART cable to output RGB, however VGA Ports only accept video inputs. Are there SCART cables available that have seperate RCA plugs for sound outputs or will I have to splice my own.
    There are, in fact let me save you the trouble on this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Two-.../dp/B000NP9S6O

5. Since I have a NTSC SNES, I'll need to make sure to have capacitors on the RGB outputs. How can I be sure that the SCART cable needed has these capacitors, or if not is it easy to pull apart the SCART cable and put it back together again (especially back together again).
    I have not yet done any SNES RGB (looking to get a SuFami to dodge the bullet on the caps) but you will have to add those caps in to any cable you make, from the threads and experiences I've read.

Hope that helps.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Rapier587's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification guys. I think I'll go with S-video mod after all. It might not be as good as RGB but it is certainly less costly and easier to implement, also I'm not sure how much cash I'll have left over to buy a XRBG after getting this new TV.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I missing something here? You can buy s-video cable for the SNES. Why would you need to mod it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    Am I missing something here? You can buy s-video cable for the SNES. Why would you need to mod it?
    Because he has the redesigned version of the console that eliminated s-video support in the late 90s.

Now why he's bothering to do that instead of just buying a original SuperNes for a few dollars, I don't know. Perhaps he enjoys the challenge of modifying his consoles. But if I were him, I'd just buy a original SuperNes and a stock s-video cable for it and save myself the hassle.