Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Playstation Network Download Updates Thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any visual differences between Psone disc games played on the PS3 versus Psone games downloaded through the PSN Store?

Do purchased games look better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I heard this too. I think PSX games. Supposedly they were going to release the games and localize all the menu's, and if it's an RPG I'd also assume the stats screen. If they release Brigandine Grand Edition as an import PSN release I'll pick it up.
    Sounds like wishes from fans rather than truth. I doubt this rumor has any basis in reality.

Wouldn't be surprised if a game or two was translated by a developer and published though. Sony, no doubt, could care less if a PSOne release going up on PSN was never before released in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by noname11 View Post
    Are there any visual differences between Psone disc games played on the PS3 versus Psone games downloaded through the PSN Store?

Do purchased games look better?
    There shouldn't be, they're just disc images running in the same emulator disc do.

But there does seem to be the occasional differences, Silent Hill for example has supposedly been reworked a bit to resolve some issues the game had when the disc was running in Sony's PSOne emulator.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a ps3 but is it true that these games come with a scan of the original instruction manual? Or is that only on the japanese side (or neither side)?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    There shouldn't be, they're just disc images running in the same emulator disc do.
    I could've sworn I read somewhere that Street Fighter Alpha got some washed-out graphics...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by bombman View Post
    I don't have a ps3 but is it true that these games come with a scan of the original instruction manual? Or is that only on the japanese side (or neither side)?
    Yes with every page intact, and you can view it either on the PS3 or PSP.

I only bought Suikoden so far, just to be lazy and not get up and get my disc, to play it on PSP and to show support for the service so I can say with my wallet "I want more RPGs like this downloadable"

I only bought one other game off PSN and that was Beats for PSP, the best portable rhythm game ever made.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 12-04-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The issue is with a lot of these publishers going defunct, and Sony only accepts PSN submissions from the original registered publishers... that's why you won't see many titles ever.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    The issue is with a lot of these publishers going defunct, and Sony only accepts PSN submissions from the original registered publishers... that's why you won't see many titles ever.
    Sony will accept submissions from anyone that owns a title in question. Who originally published a title has no bearing.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-04-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Sony will accept submissions from anyone that owns a title in question. Who originally published a title has no bearing.
    ... if you have source to modify to reflect updated information on the title screen/etc... Lots of titles have no source.

Can you provide an example of one that's been approved/uploaded but is not from the original publisher?

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sure, I found one within 30 seconds of quickly glancing over a list of PSOne releases. Hardcore 4X4, which was published by American Softworks Corporation, a company that went under quite a few years back. Granted it has only seen a European release so far on PSN, but I don't see why that matters.

I assure you that Sony has no rule regarding PSOne releases only being submitted by the original publisher. Many of these games no longer have any relation to their original publishers since those contracts have lapsed and rights have returned to the original developer (Including this example I provided, which is fully owned by Gremlin Interactive, whom developed it). Barring titles that were self published by large development houses, such as Konami, you'd be hard pressed to find a game being published for rerelease by the same company that did it 10-15 years earlier on a different console.

Another set of examples are the recent rush of Command & Conquer games, which were developed by Westwood and published by Virgin. Westwood no longer even exist, having been brought out and then dissolved by EA years ago. And Virgin had nothing to do with these rereleases. Those facts didn't affect EA's ability to release these on PSN at all, Sony will accept submissions for consideration from any company that has ownership. I have no doubt there are many other examples if we were to closely look at what has been released worldwide so far on PSN for PSOne classics.

And I imagine excising any signs of a original publisher could be fairly easily done even without the source code, which I suspect would exist anyways for most any decent company in recent years. That data isn't neglected at every company like it is at Sega...

What made you think Sony had a policy like that?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-04-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Because they do have a policy like that. A non-ASC one is what I was looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Uh huh

I'm not sure I understand your last message, but I assure you, no such policy exists. Who has ownership is all that Sony is concerned about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I'd love to know how you can say that with such certainty.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Earth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i didnt see Call of Duty classic w/ online play on the list. i thought it was added on the 2nd of Dec?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I'd love to know how you can say that with such certainty.
    For starters, there is no shortage of examples on PSN of PSOne titles from publishers that are defunct, have been dissolved after acquisition by a larger firm, or companies that have merged to form a new firm (Such as Square Co. and Square EA, both of which technically don't exist now).

Secondly, I'm privileged to know some of the inner workings of this process when the two Oddworld titles were recently released on PSN.

May I ask where your statement originates from?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Earth View Post
    i didnt see Call of Duty classic w/ online play on the list. i thought it was added on the 2nd of Dec?
    This list is for PSOne rereleases on PSN. There was never a Call of Duty title on the PSOne, and the original Call of Duty has never had a console release until now on XBLA and PSN. You'll find it with the other original releases on PSN, not in the PSOne section.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Earth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This list is for PSOne rereleases on PSN. There was never a Call of Duty title on the PSOne, and the original Call of Duty has never had a console release until now on XBLA and PSN. You'll find it with the other original releases on PSN, not in the PSOne section.
    my mistake. i had Call of Duty and Medal of Honor mixed up or something. that would have explained why it was $14.99 too. the PSOne games go for between 5.99-9.99

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Probably a dumb question, but I've not bought off it, so I don't know.

You don't need a PS3 to get these do you? I have a PSP, but not a PS3. I really just want Ten Pin Alley on my PSP.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can buy them directly from the PSN store on your PSP, or purchase them on your PC and transfer them to your PSP via a USB cable.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I kind of wonder if Oddworld is unplayable on PSP. That game required more buttons than the PSP has (both sets of shoulder buttons).
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

thanks Leo. I'll be a happy boy soon.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I kind of wonder if Oddworld is unplayable on PSP. That game required more buttons than the PSP has (both sets of shoulder buttons).
    Analog left is L2 and analog right is R2. You can also reconfigure each game however you want. So for example. Armored Core Master of Arena uses L2 and R2 for aiming upwards and downwards. It's not used too often though so just use it when specifically needed. Hitting both L2 and R2 went back to a level view though so that right there would be impossible(without doing it manually) if the option of L2+R2 isn't there for a button combo.

Another is Mega Man Legends. Whenever you shoot it's partially homing as long as you're aiming in the same direction, so without lock on it's fine. However you can always press the analog and shoot if you wanted. It's not really the best thing in the world, but it's really not difficult and easy to get used to it. Another thing is that you could always switch it to O for lock on and the dash boots to R2. So there are a few changes that could be done to make the gameplay work.

Games that have no control reconfig you can go into the home menu and reconfigure the PSX controls to be whatever buttons you wish.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-05-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.