Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro computer usage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Retro computer usage?

Here's an easy one -- how many of you currently have one or more retro computers hooked up and in use? What or which ones do you have?

The only one I currently have hooked up is my Commodore 64. I unhooked my Amiga and Apple II a few months ago when I rearranged my computer/game/movie room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

msx hooked up for games/programming

a pc-98 for the same thing

I suppose I could be an ass and try to use one for word processing and buy a printer, but I'll pass
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one half of my game room is dedicated to consoles, the other is to retro computers.

its a work in progress right now since i still need alot of desks/shelves and monitors

the computers i have hooked up and ready so far are

commodore 64c/vic 20 duel setup

amiga 1200T and an amiga 500

windows xp (i know it doesn't count as retro but i wanted a desktop upstairs) and a win98/DOS pc

i have alot of others i have lined up that i'm eventually going to have hooked up but as i said i need more monitors (i want matching monitors, yes i'm anal like that) and desks. eventually i plan to have the following setup hooked up and ready to go - macintosh SE, apple IIGS, atari 130XE, ti-99, MSX2.
    also eventaully i would like to add something like a FM Towns a X86000 and a euro pc, probibly either an amstrad or a spectrum. i'm pretty sure i can fit them all and still not have it looking like a crowded mess, hopefully.
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 11-28-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I have a Win 95 pc hooked up, I don't use it all that regularly though. I need to find more time to play games, then I'll use it more. None of my consoles are hooked up at the moment, I don't have that much space.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just my Atari 800XL w/ 1050 drive and my a500 miggy. Then again, those are the only two I have right now period.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have my old 486 hooked up next to my current computer, I just switch the monitor over as necessary. I've had to replace the 3.5" disk drive, but it works pretty well. The main problem I've been running into lately is games that use expanded/extended memory. Windows 98 seems to not know how the hell to handle that; every time I try to run such a game, it says "Not enough memory!". I've been trying to fiddle with MS DOS settings, but to no avail so far. It also won't let me make a boot disk, just says "error" whenever I tried to do that.

So yeah, I use DOSbox for those games. :/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have my X68000 and its monitor (plus MIDI synth, hard disk, CD drive and MO drive), also my Spectrum 128 (with DivIDE) and an MSX Turbo-R.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I have a Commodore 64 and a DOS laptop, both plugged in and ready for play.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

My PC collection doesn't just go back well into DOS times, but includes some very tricky to run titles, like Synnergist and Flight of the Amazon Queen. I know DOSbox will run some of these - not Synnergist, I believe - but I keep a couple of older PC's ready for hook-up whenever I feel the urge.

So, as well as my XP, I have a Windows 98 PC (best of the lot), and a Dell GX Pro which is set up for running the trickiest to run games. Usually that's installed with Windows 3.1. I use the Win 98 PC and the Dell for DOS -only games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a TI-99/4A hooked up in my bedroom and a Tandy 1000 hoked up in my living room. I play the TI quite a bit (although mostly what I have are edutainment games).

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have my TI-99/4A hooked up and ready to play a game or mess with BASIC if I so choose.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Always have my IBM 5150 PC hooked up for the ancient DOS games for 8088's, complete with CGA color monitor.

Also have a Pentium I with DOS 6 for those 90's games. And a Windows 98 machine with a Voodoo 3 beside that, both hooked up to my HDTV alongside my modern consoles. Provides a great mix right from the same seat!

And the C64, Atari 600XL and other assorted 8-bit machines are never far away from being hooked up to their respective screens, but space is becoming a premium so the most-collected-for systems (DOS) are hooked up constantly.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I have four retro computers hooked up and ready for use... A C-128, a Macintosh Centris 610 (which has been fairly heavily upgraded), an Amiga 3000, and a Pentium 133 running MS-DOS. The Amiga and DOS machine are both hooked to the same monitor via a VGA switch, which saves me a good bit of space.

I also have an Apple IIGS that is sitting next to my C-128 that can be hooked up with a fairly minimal amount of effort (swapping video cables to hook it up to my 1902 and such).

I have a small library of other computers in the same room that are ready to be hooked up, but require quite a bit more effort...

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got my Amiga 3000 here at my home away from home. I've been playing Defender of the Crown. Wolfric the Wild and me are like THIS.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I just did my new retro computer setup in my game room.

Currently I have the following hooked up

Commodore 64
    Commodore Vic 20 with Mega Cart(Multicart)
    Atari XEGS with multicart
    Bally Arcade with multicart
    Adam Computer
    Apple IIe

I have several others, but these are the ones I play. I probably play the XEGS and Vic 20 the most.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ventrra View Post
    I have a TI-99/4A hooked up in my bedroom and a Tandy 1000 hoked up in my living room. I play the TI quite a bit (although mostly what I have are edutainment games).
    I have both of these, but in the same room. I also have C64's, a C128, my Apple IISE is now a fishtank.
    I also have a skt 7 amd k6-2 300 OC'd to 600mhz, 384mb ram, agp and pci voodoo5 5500s (original SLI), 10GB "bigfoot" HD. The system is tri-booted with win98SE, Win XP and FC4. Can run CS:S custom mid settings @ 40fps AVG.
    I also have some older compaq skt 7 computer for a hardware firewall.
    For newer systems I run DOSBox for older games.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

An Amiga 2000HD with a 68010 accelerator card and a card that can toggle between Kickstarts 2.0 and 1.3.

And, if it counts, an iMac in classic mode to play older Mac games...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only ones I own and use for gaming are my Atari 800XL and Tandy Color Computer 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently have my Atari 800xl hooked up to my TV and my C64 ready to swap in at any time. The VIC-20 and TI 99/4a are set off to the side, Atari 520STfm is set in the corner of the dining room, and I'm still trying to find which box contains the CPU for my IBM PCjr (found everything else...). The Amiga 500 is out in the garage with a busted keyboard. Gotta get rid of my drafting table to free up space for my new retro computing desk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok here goes...

1. X68000 upgraded to 10MB RAM, 2GB hard disk and CD-R drive

2. Apple IIGS with 8MB RAM, MicroDrive-Turbo DMA IDE controller, BlueDisk Floppy controller (for using standard PC 1.44MB floppies with my IIGS), 2 5-1/4" drives, 2 3-1/2" drives (1 800KB 2DD GCR Apple drive, 1 1.44MB MFM PC Drive) I'm also in the process of acquiring a TransWarp GS accellerator

3. Panasonic FS-A1ST MSX Turbo-R upgraded to 512k mapper memory internally, Sunrise IDE interface with 2 GB hard disk and CD-RW drive, and MegaFlashRom SCC 512k flash cart.

4. Atari XEGS upgraded to 128k of 130XE-mapper-compatible memory plus 1MB of extended memory with SatanTronic mapper, internal MyIDE interface w/ internal 6GB hard disk, dual POKEY SimpleStereo stereo sound mod, AKI PS/2 keyboard interface, internal SIO-2-PC USB interface, S-Video out, currently in the process of acquiring a VideoBoardXE for enhanced graphics and RGB output.

5. Amiga 2000 upgraded to 16MB memory, ECS Chipset, 68030 33MHz, SCSI-2, GVP Spectrum graphics card, X-Surf Ethernet, 4BG hard disk, CD-RW, Zip 250, 2 internal floppy drives

6. Atari 1040STE upgraded to 4MB RAM, 16MHz accellerator, ICD DMA-to-SCSI bridge with 4GB hard disk and CD-R drive.

7. Commodore 128 w/ IDE64 and ETH64, 64k VRAM upgrade

8. SGI Indigo prototype

9. Casablanca Video editing station (based on an 060 Amiga)

Keep in mind this is not even close to my whole collection, just what I have set up at this particular moment in time. I also have many game consoles set up:

1. Famicom + FDS, Famicom modded for Composite video and stereo sound, FDS belt has been replaced, constructed parallel cable to connect the FDS/RAM adaptor to my PC, so I can back up/write FDS disks, as well as use disk images from my computer instead of original disks, preserving the quality of my collection

2. Super Famicom with 128Mbit Game Doctor SF6

3. N64 with 256MB Doctor V64

4. PC Engine Core Grafx modified to have an internal region switch to play both TG16 and PC Engine cards, also modded for RGB output, 32Mbit Flash card, CD-ROM2 (original "suitcase" model, not SuperCD-ROM), Arcade Card Pro (With this setup I can play every HuCard and CD-ROM game with the exception of SuperGrafx titles)

5. Panasonic FZ-1 R.E.A.L 3D0

6. Neo Geo CD

7. Sega Master System with 32Mbit flash cart

8. Sega Genesis model II, Sega CD Model II, Sega 32X with 64Mbit flash cart

9. Japanese White Model II Sega Saturn with mod chip, and a 5-in-1 1MB RAM/4MB RAM/Save/Region Free/Action Replay Cart

10. Treamcast (portable dreamcast/VCD player)

11. Blue Playstation Debugging station

Again, these are not nearly all of my consoles, just the ones that are set up right at this very moment. Enjoy!
    Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.