Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone like me at all who just cant get into Genesis games?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there anyone like me at all who just cant get into Genesis games?

Except for Castlevania Bloodlines i cant seem to get into Genesis games. mainly because most games use like oversized sprites for main characters and dont feel as polished possibly as SNES games what would be some Genesis games i would like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no idea where you're getting this 'oversized sprites' thing from, but it would help if you could maybe provide some idea of what type of games you have in mind, just to narrow things down.

Some of my personal faves are;

Castle of Illusion
    Shinobi III
    Shadow Dancer
    Gunstar Heroes
    Ranger-X
    Strider
    Ristar
    Streets of Rage
    Gaiares
    Sonic 2
    Burning Force

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like you're suffering from crazy
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm talking about like Sonic and Ristar. where the sprites are generally huge, its hard for me to explain what i am talking about because i dont know many Genesis games i was an SNES kid........ but i had both systems go figure that one......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

*raises hand*
    I'm Fuyukaze and I too have Genesis-rectile disfunction.
    I dont know why. It's got RPGs, it's got strat games, it's got shooters, and everything else I like in gaming but I'm just not fond of the system. Maybe it's the sound, or maybe it's the controls. Maybe it's something else I cant think of but I simply dont enjoy the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

or maybe it could be i just dont like the pseudo 3d effect of the sonic games, i sort of like them, but i just cant get into them and play them seriously like i could an SNES game like Mario world, Ristar would probably be the same way....

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The big sprites thing is something I dislike in games as well. However, the Genesis is a really good system. Here are some games you may like.

Strider This has bigger sprites than the arcade game. Not much, but yeah. The other thing is the majority of the game looks better graphically(the beginning background looks much better on the arcade version though.) This game has quite a few bugs in it but overall it's a good action platformer.

Gunstar Heroes The best action/platformer on the Genesis. No overly large sprites on this game either.

Phantasy Star 4 One of the best RPG titles of the 16 bit era. Unfortunately, this is one of the few great RPGs for the system(don't forget to try out Shining Force also.)

I won't list anymore as there are tons of "Good Sega Genesis games" threads under different names, but yeah. It's got a lot of good games, it's just that the list isn't as large as the SNES list due to the fact that Nintendo had a huge monopoly going on.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't remember Genesis character sprites being all that much bigger than SNES sprites. I mean, in *some* games the sprites are larger than the average SNES game, but it's not like Sonic takes up a lot of the screen or anything like that.

And I don't know what you mean by "polished." While I prefer the SNES (obviously), I think Genesis games were really well done in general. You need to clarify.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Genesis sprites definitely skew larger than SNES sprites, but a lot of Genesis fans take that as a positive. Some people prefer more proportional, realistic sprites over the SD, chibi-ized SNES sprites, which tend to lean more cutesy too. There are plenty of exceptions of course, but that's the general trend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games i want to get for genesis

Gunstar Heroes
    Contra Hard Corps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    Maybe it's the sound
    I would say that's probably it. Genesis games in general have very inferior sound to their SNES counterparts cause I honestly get ill hearing some of the games. Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam would be two of the best comparisons. Imo most Genesis games sounded like a cat being swung by the tail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I used to feel that way but it was mainly because all I really ever had to play were Sonic games where you have 3 buttons that all make you jump. I also didn't like the original controller, it feels to huge to me. But with a smaller controller and a bigger selection of games it's now the system that I play the most.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    mainly because most games use like oversized sprites for main characters and dont feel as polished possibly as SNES games what would be some Genesis games i would like?
    Wouldn't that be a bigger problem in SNES games what with the lower resolution on most games?

The only time I could see big sprites as a problem would be in action games where the camera control is poor. Such as Earthworm Jim, Aladdin or Vectorman.

I think the MD games were more polished in a few select genres, namely Run & Guns, Shooters and Action Platformers. If you're into RPGs then you might want to check out the Sega CD.
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...g-library.html

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    I would say that's probably it. Genesis games in general have very inferior sound to their SNES counterparts cause I honestly get ill hearing some of the games. Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam would be two of the best comparisons. Imo most Genesis games sounded like a cat being swung by the tail.
    It also depends on the system they're played on, some versions have poorer quality components than others. The sound may not be as good as the SNES, but it's not all that bad IMO(if you get a decent version of the system).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I find one point from the OP interesting, that of "oversized sprites."

For collision-based games (basically every single one), having a giant character that runs into stuff quicker and has less room to play with than on the SNES (taking the OP's argument) definitely can make things more challenging.

That said, I don't really see a ton of difference between, say, Risky Woods Genesis and Wolf Child on the SNES. There are also plenty of great Genesis games which don't suffer from cramped quarters - all the Shinobi games come to mind for instance. (Actually I think Joe in Shinobi III / Super Shinobi II is probably about the same size as Simon from Super CV IV, and considerably thinner than John "Chuck's fat brother" Morris from Bloodlines (but maybe a bit taller). Just pulling those out of deep-freeze memory though, I could be wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's funny, I always thought of the SNES as having larger sprites due to the games I grew up with, such as Bugs Bunny's Rabbit Rampage and Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions. Now those were some huge character sprites!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillo View Post
    That's funny, I always thought of the SNES as having larger sprites due to the games I grew up with, such as Bugs Bunny's Rabbit Rampage and Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions. Now those were some huge character sprites!
    Now that you mention it, I remember the Looney Tunes games for both systems having enormous sprites. Taz-Mania for Genesis was absolutely nuts, but Road Runner's Death Valley Rally for SNES may take the cake.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why should it matter what system a game is on , if its good?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try Wiz 'n Liz. Not because it's the best Genesis game, but the sprites are tiny.

Actually I never thought Genesis sprites were bigger than SNES on average. I think that's the first time I've even heard that. I've always found that the SNES often has "fatter" sprites.

Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about. This is a screenshot from X-Men 2 (Genesis), showing Psylocke:

And this is a screenshot from X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SNES), also showing Psylocke.

The Genesis sprite is a reasonable approximation of how she was drawn in the comics. The SNES sprite looks like an Amazon woman.
    Last edited by j_factor; 11-30-2009 at 12:30 AM.