Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone like me at all who just cant get into Genesis games?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    The Genesis sprite looks like a Rob Liefeld abomination, which is, sadly, how a lot of X-Men comics were drawn in the 1990s.
    I think you're giving ol' Rob a bit too much credit. She looks more like something based on a Jim Lee drawing. If Rob had drawn her then we wouldn't be able to see her feet, she'd be grimacing like hell, and one arm would be smaller than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank God. This is something I've been carrying inside far too many years. Oh how I have tried and tried to fall in love with the Mega Drive/Genesis. But for some reason I can't. It may very well be the fact that I was a Super Famicom/SNES whore back in the day (and still) but to me the Sega platform's games felt so soulless. Worse graphics on average and worse music. Please don't point to the fact that Aladdin has nicer animations than its SNES version, etc, etc. These examples are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Interesting that someone brought it up.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well even as a huge Sega fan, the one thing I can never defend well is the sound. You had to really put effort to get great tunes out of the Genny. Now, many people did - look at Climax's games, the Sonics and of course the greatest Genny game intro music ever: Starflight.

However when you halfass on the Genny it sounds like you never tried.

The SNES has better tunage overall but good god I agree on the slowness. Good thing you don't really need speed in RPGs or I'd probably put little time into mine.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I think *some* of this slower/faster business is just in your guy's head. 99% of these games run on a 60hz tick basis. It's one thing to "slowdown" in a game, it's quite something else to *purposely* use a lower fixed point number for movement/scrolling. That has nothing to do with the processor itself. That would be a design decision by the programmer or such.
    I don't think we were talking about technical differences, just gameplay differences.

And j_factor, you've got the wrong res size for that stretched snes image. You've over stretched it :P
    Did I? I see the image you posted is 288 x 240. I've never heard of that resolution. That's an aspect ratio of 6:5. I though it was always 4:3.

Anyway, I don't get why people are bashing the Genesis sound. I always thought it had much better music, but much worse sound effects and voice samples. *shrug*
    Last edited by j_factor; 11-30-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I don't think we were talking about technical differences, just gameplay differences.
    Well, some people get confused and automatically think it's because the SNES' slower processor.

Did I? I see the image you posted is 288 x 240. I've never heard of that resolution. That's an aspect ratio of 6:5. I though it was always 4:3.
    PC monitors/LCDs tend to display square pixels. On an NTSC set, the pixel isn't always square. And none of *these* game systems output square pixels. So a 320x240 square pixel image on a typical PC, is larger than what the Genesis is outputting. That's the res after the ratio has been corrected for. Not just programming, but I have an extensive background in working with video/film/etc and PCs. Genesis NTSC 320x224(which you pad to 240 before scaling, or offset the difference in scaling) has a pixel aspect ratio of ~0.9. Low res (and the same res as SNES) uses a pixel aspect ratio of ~1.125. When viewed on a square pixel display. For the sake of numbers, pce low res is the same as MD/SNES low res. PCE mid res is 0.843 pixel aspect ratio, and high res is 0.45 ratio. Of course, scaling the 320x240 high res Genesis loses some pixels. You can up scale to double the res and still keep all the ratios intact; 576x480 works and no system looses any pixels in the conversion.

Also: interlaced pics of 480i have a different pixel aspect ratio than the 240p modes.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Castle of Illusion
    World of Illusion
    Quackshot
    Give these three a try. They all feel like SNES games to me.(meaning the have nice bright graphics with solid gameplay)

If you dont like the above games, try:
    Marvel land
    Gunstar Heroes
    Comix Zone
    Rocket Knight Adventure
    McDonals's Treasureland Adventure
    *Plus a ton of shooters!

If you dont like any of the above then give up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Too Small

I can't get into them either, they are waaaay too small, now a neogeo cartridge, that I could get into! In all honesty many of my favorite games are also from the genny library.

Hetzog Zwei ( split the video output and tape off respective sides of the screen for fair play)
    Thunderforce III (compare that one to the SNES)
    Castle of Illusion
    Phantasy Star series
    Shining Force games
    Gunstar Heroes
    Strider
    Comix Zone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC monitors/LCDs tend to display square pixels. On an NTSC set, the pixel isn't always square. And none of *these* game systems output square pixels. So a 320x240 square pixel image on a typical PC, is larger than what the Genesis is outputting. That's the res after the ratio has been corrected for. Not just programming, but I have an extensive background in working with video/film/etc and PCs. Genesis NTSC 320x224(which you pad to 240 before scaling, or offset the difference in scaling) has a pixel aspect ratio of ~0.9. Low res (and the same res as SNES) uses a pixel aspect ratio of ~1.125. When viewed on a square pixel display. For the sake of numbers, pce low res is the same as MD/SNES low res. PCE mid res is 0.843 pixel aspect ratio, and high res is 0.45 ratio. Of course, scaling the 320x240 high res Genesis loses some pixels. You can up scale to double the res and still keep all the ratios intact; 576x480 works and no system looses any pixels in the conversion.

Also: interlaced pics of 480i have a different pixel aspect ratio than the 240p modes.
    I must be missing something. My computer monitor, which is what I'm staring at right now, does display square pixels. So if we're attempting to replicate how it looks on a TV, shouldn't the shot be wider? The physical dimensions of my TV screen are a ratio of 4:3, and the image from my console takes up the entire screen. If I measure the image you posted, not in pixels but in cm, the width to height ratio is significantly more square than 4:3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I must be missing something. My computer monitor, which is what I'm staring at right now, does display square pixels. So if we're attempting to replicate how it looks on a TV, shouldn't the shot be wider? The physical dimensions of my TV screen are a ratio of 4:3, and the image from my console takes up the entire screen. If I measure the image you posted, not in pixels but in cm, the width to height ratio is significantly more square than 4:3.
    The dimensions of your monitor is irrelevant, because... these pics *aren't* viewed full screen. If they were, you'd have to take into account that factor and correct for it (by clipping or padding, etc). That's an important piece of information to know for pixel artists and programmers alike. Photoshop has support for custom pixel aspect ratios, just for this problem (after effects and premiere too).

And, the pic for the SNES shot *is* wider. 288 pixels is wider than 256. It's the Genesis higher res mode that has a pixel aspect ratio that's less than 1 (0.9 to be more precise) VS the snes and GEN lower res @ 1.125. The pixel aspect ratio is determined by the dot clock (pixel frequency). The number of pixels onscreen doesn't necessarily mean much.
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 11-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin- View Post
    Why is the genesis awesome? Well....

Adventures of Batman & Robin
    Aerobiz Supersonic
    Air Buster
    Aladdin
    Alisia Dragoon
    Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle
    Altered Beast
    Beyond Oasis
    Castle of Illusion
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Comix Zone
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Cool Spot
    Crusader of Centy
    Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Dynamite Headdy
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Ecco: Tides of Time
    Earthworm Jim
    Earthworm Jim 2
    Elemental Master
    Eternal Champions
    Fireshark
    Flashback
    Flicky
    Forgotten Worlds
    Gain Ground
    Gaiares
    Gauntlet IV
    General Chaos
    Ghostbusters
    Ghouls N Ghosts
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe II
    Gunstar Heroes
    Jurassic Park
    Kid Chameleon
    King's Bounty
    Landstalker
    Lightening Force
    M.U.S.H.A.
    Mega Bomberman
    Mega Turrican
    Micro Machines
    Mysitc Defender
    Out of this World
    Phantasy Star II
    Phantasy Star IV
    Pirates Gold
    Pitfall the Mayan Adventure
    Punisher
    Quackshot starring Donald Duck
    Ranger-X
    Red Zone
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Ristar
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Rolling Thunder 2
    Shadow Dancer
    Shadowrun
    Shining Force
    Shining Force 2
    Shinobi III
    Soldiers of Fortune
    Sonic
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic Spinball
    Spider-man
    Splatterhouse 2
    Splatterhouse 3
    Star Control
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3
    Strider
    Thunderforce II
    Thunderforce III
    Toejam & Earl
    Toejam & Earl: Panic on Funkatron
    Toy Story
    Truxton
    Valis III
    Vectorman
    Vectorman 2
    Warsong
    Wiz n Liz
    World of Illusion
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    Zombies ate my Neighbors

Those are just some of my favorites. There's an absolute plethora of gaming fun to be had with this system. I could go on and on, but those are my picks out of all the games I can see from here. What should you take away from this list? Well, try them all and tell me the you're unable to get into the system then.

This is an awesome list. Love the Genesis, only the Nes holds a higher spot in my heart. Yeah, coming off the nes, the sprites were large and kick a##, felt like an arcade system. I would add Granada to the list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The dimensions of your monitor is irrelevant, because... these pics *aren't* viewed full screen. If they were, you'd have to take into account that factor and correct for it (by clipping or padding, etc). That's an important piece of information to know for pixel artists and programmers alike. Photoshop has support for custom pixel aspect ratios, just for this problem (after effects and premiere too).

And, the pic for the SNES shot *is* wider. 288 pixels is wider than 256. It's the Genesis higher res mode that has a pixel aspect ratio that's less than 1 (0.9 to be more precise) VS the snes and GEN lower res @ 1.125. The pixel aspect ratio is determined by the dot clock (pixel frequency). The number of pixels onscreen doesn't necessarily mean much.
    But the point was to show how the game looks on a TV (except smaller so as not to have huge images). My TV screen has 4 inches of width for every 3 inches of height. If I attempt to blow up your image to the size of my TV, it's not going to match up. My TV is wider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But the point was to show how the game looks on a TV (except smaller so as not to have huge images).
    Uhm.. that's exactly was I showed you. The SNES and Genesis image (288x240 image) as it would appear on your 4:3 TV. Look, I don't know how else to explain to you what I already have *without* derailing this thread. If you're confused as to what PAR is and how it works, I suggest a read up on it. Or maybe create a new thread?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Here's that Genesis thread. Same thread, just this one is about the Genesis sucking and what games are good, this other is about the Genesis is amazing and what games are good.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137455
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Outside of Sonic, well, what else is really great?

Shocking lack of RPGs, sad!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always recommend "Streets or Rage 2", but I'm biased as I compare every other game of that style to SOR2.

I'd also recommend:

Road Rash (the 2nd actually)
    Dragon's Fury
    Shinobi 3
    Gunstar Heroes
    Micro Machines

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    the slowness felt in snes games is also due to a slightly more loose controller on the snes
    Either my controller is heavily used, or the d-pad is just mushy. No matter which, "Turtles in Time" is less precise because of it.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhm.. that's exactly was I showed you. The SNES and Genesis image (288x240 image) as it would appear on your 4:3 TV. Look, I don't know how else to explain to you what I already have *without* derailing this thread. If you're confused as to what PAR is and how it works, I suggest a read up on it. Or maybe create a new thread?
    I understand what PAR is. But what I'm saying is, even though it's accurate as to the number of pixels, that's not how it actually looks on a TV screen, simply because it's not the same shape.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    Well even as a huge Sega fan, the one thing I can never defend well is the sound. You had to really put effort to get great tunes out of the Genny. Now, many people did - look at Climax's games, the Sonics and of course the greatest Genny game intro music ever: Starflight.

However when you halfass on the Genny it sounds like you never tried.
    I have to agree with that. I've noticed too that the further into the Genesis' lifespan you go, the worse the music sounds overall. At the beginning it was really good, almost arcade-like. But towards the end, it was like they didn't even care anymore.

At any rate, love the Genesis, have mine hooked up right now, got my kids a Model 2 for Christmas (it's their first console) along with the 6 Pak (can't go wrong with six classics on one cart), Ms. Pac-Man, Thunderforce II (they're my kids, they're gonna have at least one shooter ), Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck and a few "donations" from my collection: Quackshot, World of Illusion and Sonic 2. Of course, they'll be able to use games from my collection too, almost like checking out a book from a library.

The only thing I need is controllers. The one the system came with is a generic six-button that seems to only work half the time. Since none of the games they'll be using require six-button controllers, I need to track down a couple of classic 3-button controllers. Anyone got any they're willing to part with? PM me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who dares talk about Sega in this manner? Who dares discuss the merits of the Genesis? Who dares talk ill of its SOUND?!

Yes, there are people like you, OP, we called them "Nintendo kids" and we generally left them to their peach princesses while we grinded it out in Golden Axe. Have you ever played Golden Axe? Do you have any idea how much of that game actually takes place on the back of a giant turtle??

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone mentioned "Out of this World". Great game, but the Genesis version has very sloppy controls compared to the SNES. No way I would play this on a Genesis if I had a SNES laying around. I just had a helluva time getting the jumps right in the gnensis version.

I do love all the Micro Machine games that came out on the Genesis that were never on the SNES. They are PAL, but most work great on a NTSC system.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nescollector View Post
    This is an awesome list. Love the Genesis, only the Nes holds a higher spot in my heart. Yeah, coming off the nes, the sprites were large and kick a##, felt like an arcade system. I would add Granada to the list
    added, thanks for reminding me, I don't have that one in this room so I didn't see it ;D.

I'm sure there's many more too....