Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do you guys buy your genesis and super nintendo games ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default where do you guys buy your genesis and super nintendo games ?

Hi guys, I'm getting back in to the genesis/snes games here. Where do you guys go to find games at decent prices for both of these systems. I live in a hick town and there isn't one place to buy them. P.S. I don't use ebay unless i have to, i really do hate them. I know amazon marketplace isn't bad but what im after is a site with a good selection that combines shipping charges.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i buy mine from amazon marketplace..... i also recently bought some from people from craigslist......

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a marketplace forum on these message boards, it's pretty good for that. Same with Gametz. You can also trade games on there, very handy. I buy a lot of stuff off Craigslist, but that really depends on region. Same thing w/ yard sales and flea markets.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I'm getting SNES games, I go to five places in general:

1. These here forums
    2. eBay
    3. Game Gavel
    4. Flea markets
    5. Friends who might have old consoles

All of the first three have proven to be reliable; five has as well. Flea markets, not so much. Now, I know eBay isn't an option for you, so I'd suggest 1 and 3 as the places to go.

I plan on hitting up Goodwill and a local thrift store soon as well. Those are really the places to go if you're in the market.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

You can sometimes find decent stuff on half.com - and the shipping charges are fixed (and somewhat combined if you buy from the same seller).
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tradera.com, flea markets, various acquaintances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get most of my snes games from a retro game shop in my area - Cool Stuff, in Virginia Beach, VA. It's an awesome place that can get in some very rare things from time to time (last week they had 3 Genesis systems with the Sega CD unit included, as well as a Saturn!) I get most of my SFC games off of Yahoo Japan Auctions through SMJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

www.gamegavel.com is a great alternative to ebay since you're not willing to use them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried nearly everything mentioned, but for the extremely rare or hardcore collector nothing beats ebay. I hate ebay, but there is nothing else that comes close to their market place for buying and selling. I truly wish there was an alternative though. The next best option is forums like this and networking with other gamers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Plug for my store www.tradengames.com
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I'd avoid Amazon Marketplace. Anything I have ever searched for has been ridiculously overpriced. But maybe that's just what I've been looking for. :P

Sadly, the boat sailed about 5-6 years ago on SNES and Genesis for Gamestop. That's when Genesis prices were in the toilet and you could pick up tons of games insanely cheap. I agree with what has been said: fleas, garage sales and online forums are best if you wish to avoid eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

About 90% of my Genesis collection(by far my largest and not a sports game in the bunch) came from Goodwill @ generally $2-$4/game. The other 10% came from garage sales and craigslist as parts of larger lots...so probally about 50 cents to $1 per game.

I rarely ever find any SNES games, which I find odd as that was always the more popular system around these parts...at least among people I knew.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I'd avoid Amazon Marketplace. Anything I have ever searched for has been ridiculously overpriced. But maybe that's just what I've been looking for. :P

Sadly, the boat sailed about 5-6 years ago on SNES and Genesis for Gamestop. That's when Genesis prices were in the toilet and you could pick up tons of games insanely cheap. I agree with what has been said: fleas, garage sales and online forums are best if you wish to avoid eBay.
    I think it was longer ago than that. I was an assistant manager at an EB games in 2002 and we barely had Playstation 1, N64 and Dreamcast games at that time, let alone Genesis or Snes.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i rarely went to gamestop back in the cartridge days but i do remember picking up a copy of sunset riders for the genesis in 2003.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like you're mainly looking for Internet sources based on your location. I would suggest checking the classifieds for yard sales and postings on Craigslist as there may be some good deals outside of your town. Also if there are any flea markets or thrift stores locally they can get anything in so keep hopes up and venturing into those spots.

For Net use forums are a good place to dig around. There are many gaming forums dedicated to particular brands, but for the best of many worlds of game collecting keep an eye out on the DP Marketplace. Collections are always rotating and it's a community with many fine buyers and sellers. I suggest using the Search function to locate particular titles or systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukima View Post
    I get most of my snes games from a retro game shop in my area - Cool Stuff, in Virginia Beach, VA. It's an awesome place that can get in some very rare things from time to time (last week they had 3 Genesis systems with the Sega CD unit included, as well as a Saturn!) I get most of my SFC games off of Yahoo Japan Auctions through SMJ.
    Cool Stuff is a good place to go if you're looking for selection and good prices on common games. When it comes to their more rare titles sometimes it's over priced. They have appeared unstable for a few years now and inventory on older systems appear stale (I swear I see 90% of the items just sit on shelves).

Other places to check out:
    Replays #1:
    1830 Kempsville Road, Virginia Beach, VA
    Replays #2:
    2093 General Booth Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA
    Xtreme Media:
    3545 Buckner Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA
    Videogame Heaven:
    681 Battlefield Boulevard North
    Chesapeake, VA

Also I see Genesis, Super Nintendo, and many other consoles for $10 and less around thrift store electronics departments. Games are usually listed for under $3. It is hit or miss, but when you're already driving a distance to a game store it doesn't hurt to swing by a nearby thrift store.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This forum, nintendoage forum, anandtech, CL, goodwill, other thrift stores.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For fun visit this exact same thread over at KLOV!

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=113383

Posted about 10 minutes apart. Both nicks have 13 total posts. Hmm... Probably doesn't mean anything.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 12-06-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    For fun visit this exact same thread over at KLOV!

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=113383

Posted about 10 minutes apart. Both nicks have 13 total posts. Hmm... Probably doesn't mean anything.
    Low posts counts, old join dates. The OP appears to be a lurker that seeks out additional information from time to time. Older posts on KLOV are different from the ones on DP. Not thinking much of it, but reminds me I need to post a thread asking about an arcade part.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few, Craiglist, DP, Ebay, Pawn shops, flee markets and I use Game Haven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool Stuff is a good place to go if you're looking for selection and good prices on common games. When it comes to their more rare titles sometimes it's over priced. They have appeared unstable for a few years now and inventory on older systems appear stale (I swear I see 90% of the items just sit on shelves).

Other places to check out:
    Replays #1:
    1830 Kempsville Road, Virginia Beach, VA
    Replays #2:
    2093 General Booth Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA
    Xtreme Media:
    3545 Buckner Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA
    Videogame Heaven:
    681 Battlefield Boulevard North
    Chesapeake, VA
    O_o; Wow, wasn't expecting anyone else here to be in my area... it's a small world!!

I've been to the first Replays store a lot, and to Videogame Heaven, but didn't know about the second Replays or Xtreme Media... thank you for letting me know!! *makes plans to stop by within the week* And yeah, Cool Stuff's prices for rare games can get kinda high - I've seen some rare SNES games there in the $30-40 price range (Earthbound was there once for $80 and did not stay there very long - someone bought it the next day!) There are also some times when I'd trade them some of my extra Super Famicom and Sufami Turbo carts and I'd get a kick out of watching them figure out what to do with them...