Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone like me that can't get into... the C64?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Is there anyone like me that can't get into... the C64?

I mean, for being one of the most well known in the classic computer genre... I just CAN'T seem to get my head around it. Like, at all. Like, I can't get WinVICE to boot a damn thing bad.

I've had 'em, played with the hardware, couldn't get much working there. Yes, I know how to do "Load "*",8,1". Hell, had a FastLoad cart with one once, which yes reduced loading, but still only got maybe 3 or 4 games working. Apart from Maniac Mansion - none were too exciting.

I thought maybe I'm missing something as I struggle with hardware. So I get WinVICE and some TOSEC images. No dice, I can't get any image to run past the cracktro. Grab some no-intro images - same thing. I'm not picking obscure games either:

Turrican
    Alternate Reality: The City
    Turrican II
    Last Ninja series
    Armalyte
    Mayhem in Monsterland...

I dunno. I've had no problem with real amigas or emulated ones. Same with the A8. I'm not a total noob to this stuff but the C64 stymies me at every turn. I have no vendetta against it, it looks like a great system. A great system that seems to refuse to run anything for me.

So... am I missing something or is this the "C64 experience"?
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I tried C64 emulation and couldn't understand a thing.

But I'll give the system props for the amazing amount of musical genius that it was host to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I only work with original hardware, never any probs, so I can't help, sorry

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

If you're having trouble with emulation, one thing that I might suggest is trying to swap the gameports used. Some C64 games used port 1, some used port 2. There was never a definite standard. So, if you can't get past a cracktro or it seems like the game is being unresponsive, check that first.

Otherwise, I'd suggest using MESS, but that's probably another step up or two on the learning curve.

Actually, now that I think about, I think Flack wrote a C64 emulation guide somewhere...ah, here we are. It's pretty expansive, so I'd recommend reading through it to get a good idea of how C64 emulation works.

The C64 is definitely a great computer, though, and worth getting into. I'd put it in my Top 3 US/European computers.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I only work with original hardware, never any probs, so I can't help, sorry
    same here

i used to have ALOT of problems getting disks to read with the old 1541 drives but after i hooked up a 1541-II i rarely have any problems getting a game to load up.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try a differnt emulator.

http://www.zophar.net/c64.html

Definitely not the C64 experience. Perhaps the C64 emulation experience...

Retro Computing takes a great of determination if you are coming into it for the first time...

The Commodore 64 bridged the gap between the Atari 2600 and the NES. It was essentially THE gaming system of the time and it's gaming library is among the best there is...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Try a differnt emulator.

http://www.zophar.net/c64.html

Definitely not the C64 experience. Perhaps the C64 emulation experience...

Retro Computing takes a great of determination if you are coming into it for the first time...

The Commodore 64 bridged the gap between the Atari 2600 and the NES. It was essentially THE gaming system of the time and it's gaming library is among the best there is...
    I guess - but it just seems odd to me how different the learning curve is to get it up and running. It completely blindsided me considering how I've not had any issues getting A8 or Amiga stuff up and running (via emulation or, as I have, the real hardware)

I'm going to read Flack's guide, as before I invest yet again in C64 stuff I want to be certain I can a) get it running and b) want something to run

EDIT: Welp, never mind. Apparently, I just suck at getting working images. I guess I'll see if I find anything neat now. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by AB Positive; 12-04-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

a) get a C128
    b) Zak McKraken, Omega, Times of Lore, Space Rogue, Breakers, Might and Magic II, Battletech, The Magic Candle, Rings of Zilfin, Portal, any Gold Box, Alter Ego, Tass Times..., Star Fleet I, Hacker II, The Bard's Tale III, Sentinel Worlds I, Heart of Africa, Starflight, The Halley Project, The Mars Saga, Castles of Dr Creep, Knights of Legend, Storm across Europe, Project Firestart, Wizards Crown....those clssics should keep you amused for some time
    Last edited by tom; 12-04-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't question that there were a lot of great C64 games - but really, the chunky low-res graphics can be kind of off-putting, especially if you're looking at a game that has much nicer looking ports on other systems (and there's no shortage of those). Just what the heck is the appeal of Forbidden Forest, exactly!?

But the emulation experience can be a bit annoying as well, since I've found there are many ways that things can go wrong but still seem just right enough to make one not question whether the emulator is at fault.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a) get a C128
    b) Zak McKraken, Omega, Times of Lore, Space Rogue, Breakers, Might and Magic II, Battletech, The Magic Candle, Rings of Zilfin, Portal, any Gold Box, Alter Ego, Tass Times..., Star Fleet I, Hacke II, The Bard's Tale III, Sentinel Worlds I, Heart of Africa, Starflight, The Mars Saga, Castle fo Dr Creep, Knights of Legend, Storm across Europe, Project Firestart, Wizards Crown....those clssics should keep you amused for some time
    i have a c128 and i keep considering replaceing my c64c with it but can't find a compelling reason to since i'm only useing it for c64 games. the c128 is also a little big for the spot its going in though so the athetics are a bit of a issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personally I think the 128 looks nicer, and...autoboot...some games like Gunship, Ultima V and so forth.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

You might need to turn on True Drive Emulation within the emulator (especially Vice) to get the disk images working. Plus you can get assured working images from the http://www.gamebase64.com website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I do still have a c128 in my closet but no power supply... 1541 drive and cable so if I find a c128 power brick I"m set... but I'm still deciding on going through the bother.

I have the v5 versions of Turrican I and II, two games I still can't get running. I've tried True Drive and I've tried without... warped ahead to see if it was a long load but nothing started pass the trainers... space, enter, CAPS (RUN/STOP on a C=), joystick in port a and b... I'm guessing it's the image at this point. Everything else seems to be going, and I got some from the list running this time 'round.

So far... I clearly need to read the instructions for some of these, heh. Last Ninja seems intriguing but I know I'm missing a key to pick up stuff. I'm sure I'll have a fuller experience - but the attacking and jumping made intuitive sense (reminded me a bit like IK+) and the music was quite good.

Still checking stuff out but I may have to scrounge up for a c128 power plug...
    -AB+

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I can't question that there were a lot of great C64 games - but really, the chunky low-res graphics can be kind of off-putting, especially if you're looking at a game that has much nicer looking ports on other systems (and there's no shortage of those). Just what the heck is the appeal of Forbidden Forest, exactly!?
    The music, the atmosphere, the pseudo 3-D and mostly- the nostalgia. The work that went into doing parallax scrolling with custom character graphics is impressive.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

a) get a C128
    b) Zak McKraken, Omega, Times of Lore, Space Rogue, Breakers, Might and Magic II, Battletech, The Magic Candle, Rings of Zilfin, Portal, any Gold Box, Alter Ego, Tass Times..., Star Fleet I, Hacker II, The Bard's Tale III, Sentinel Worlds I, Heart of Africa, Starflight, The Halley Project, The Mars Saga, Castles of Dr Creep, Knights of Legend, Storm across Europe, Project Firestart, Wizards Crown....those clssics should keep you amused for some time
    Those will keep AB amused assuming RPGs are what hes looking for... lol

WinVICE is the only C64 emulator you should bother using. If you have an X-1541 cable you can hook it up to your PC and boot real disks in the emulator, copy disks, etc....

I would stay away from TOSEC. use gamebase64 like mayhem mentioned. Most games in vice you can just click "Autostart disk or tape image" and go go go with it. Sometimes you have to just attach it and give the

LOAD "*" ,8 or LOAD "*" ,8,1

Games you should try if slowpaced RPGs arent what youre huntin for:

Space Taxi, Katakis, Parallax, Creatures 1 and 2, mayhem in monsterland, Paradroid, Black Tiger, Usagi Yojimbo, First Samurai, Stormlord, Neverending Story II, Dantes Inferno, Vixen (its not THAT bad), Shadow of the Beast (!), Phantis

and two other rpgs that werent mentioned:

Wasteland and Neuromancer

there are others too. I recommend Temple of Apshai trilogy, and Gateway to Apshai.

Its not allllll bad, you just have to find the gems buried under tons of piles of crap. Thats what happens when 3 million bajillion of the fuckers sell, everyone and their dippy brother make games for the thing
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And don't forget Nemesis the Warlock, it's a graphical experience you never forget ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

im just glad noone suggest MULE.

Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

M.U.L.E. works best on Atari 800, 4 players and all that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned the problem with using many Tosec images and such cracked collections like that. In my experience, the majority of them will not load past the cracktro, due to most of the cracked games out there being written for European systems and my using an American C64. When I get the same game from another source that is made to run on an NTSC system all is flawless. Many, if not all, of the games you mentioned didn't work for me either until I got an NTSC version. With emulation, just make sure you are set up to run the right system. CCS64 and Winvice worked the best for me
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

You still haven't really told us exactly what's happening beyond "it doesn't work". What is going on? Are all these games locking up at a black screen, or not loading at all, or what?

One thing you may need to keep in mind is that in a lot of cases, you're better off getting cracked copies of games rather than the original. Some of the more aggresive forms of copy protection still don't work well in emulators. Remember and Nostalgia are two of my favourite cracking groups out there, and both of their web pages have download links on them so you can get disks you KNOW work. Though keep in mind that both groups are European, so you will probably have to set your emulator to PAL if you haven't already (I know at least a few crack intros cause my real life NTSC C128 to lock up).

--Zero