Thread: Sunsoft announced that they will publish games in North America again

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    People keep saying this, so why am I still constantly disappointed with Japanese releases not making it overseas? Still no word on a translation for 7th Dragon, an RPG produced by Rieko Kodama and with a soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro. No sign of 428, which got a perfect score in Famitsu. No localization for Front Mission 5, which was considered by many in Japan to be the best in the series. They've hinted that Yakuza 3 might someday see the light of day, but I've given up hope on Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan (which was very highly rated in Japanese media). Nintendo sure didn't bother with Mother 3, and whatever happened to Fatal Frame IV? I could go on.
    The problem with that is that these big developers - Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, etc. - would never hand over their properties to small-time publishers anyway. If they decide to pass on localizing their own games, then we're not getting them period. Atlus and Nippon Ichi thrive by chasing after the smaller developers, so Gaijinworks would be going after the scraps of the scraps. Heck, there are already companies doing just that like Valcon, so Gaijinworks would have competition even with that strategy.

I'm happy to hear that both Sunsoft and Victor Ireland are trying to make some kind of a comeback, but I don't expect big things from either. I sure hope I'm proven wrong, though. I'd love to see a return to Sunsoft's 8-bit awesomeness. And even if Gaijinworks goes after the really obscure, budget-style stuff like Valcon, we could still end with some nice releases a la Shepherd's Crossing.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I still have a hard time firing up Albert Odyssey on Saturn because the dialogue in that game is almost unbearable to read.
    I saw it as the exact opposite. An otherwise mediocre game made at least a little more interesting thanks to a lively localization.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The problem with that is that these big developers - Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, etc. - would never hand over their properties to small-time publishers anyway. If they decide to pass on localizing their own games, then we're not getting them period. Atlus and Nippon Ichi thrive by chasing after the smaller developers, so Gaijinworks would be going after the scraps of the scraps. Heck, there are already companies doing just that like Valcon, so Gaijinworks would have competition even with that strategy.

I'm happy to hear that both Sunsoft and Victor Ireland are trying to make some kind of a comeback, but I don't expect big things from either. I sure hope I'm proven wrong, though. I'd love to see a return to Sunsoft's 8-bit awesomeness. And even if Gaijinworks goes after the really obscure, budget-style stuff like Valcon, we could still end with some nice releases a la Shepherd's Crossing.
    That's the problem. While there will always be some obscure quirky game that Gaijinworks can pick up, even some good ones, the types of game that provided the traditional WD "magic" like Lunar, Popful Mail, Rayearth, etc. are going to be few and far between.

But if Victor Ireland was great at one thing it was making a game appear bigger than it was. A lot of the advertisements (with the well composed artwork, bright colors, and catchy three line phrases) were better than the games they advertised. I don't think any WD games were genuinely bad but some of the games that were ultimately middle of the road fare were sold as if they would be a video game version of The Neverending Story.

The problem is that Working Designs had somewhat of a monopoly on a certain "type" of game back then. These days everybody is doing "that anime stuff" to the point where it's becoming shovelware in its own right.

That kind of anime fare, in the 90s when anime had exposure but was still relatively obscure to see in the mainstream, was rare to see on the wall in Electronics Boutique. Especially shiny anime. During that decade, just the word "anime" itself was used as an advertising slogan. Sci-Fi Channel did pretty well for itself back with its "Saturday Anime" block where it would show a random 2 hour anime feature regardless of what it was or whether it was any good. Sometimes you scored with Tenchi and other times you got boring trash like Robot Carnival. But people didn't care because it was ANIME! WOO! Working Designs fed off of this growing interest. These days you can't turn on the TV without seeing some crappy Japanese cartoon or walk in a GameStop without seeing some screwy import.

Lunar is getting an updated port on the PSP. Most people interested are ones who already are familiar with the game. Imagine it weren't a re-release and this was a brand new game. I would bet money that if Lunar were introduced to North America in today's climate it wouldn't have captured nearly as many hearts as it did in the 90s. It would be just as good. It's just that it wouldn't be seen as so unique.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 12-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with that is that these big developers - Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, etc. - would never hand over their properties to small-time publishers anyway. If they decide to pass on localizing their own games, then we're not getting them period.
    That never occurred to me, but I suppose you're right for the most part. I say "for the most part" with a nod towards Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. By the way, I'm pretty sure Working Designs could have translated something from that series if they'd wanted to.

Atlus and Nippon Ichi thrive by chasing after the smaller developers, so Gaijinworks would be going after the scraps of the scraps. Heck, there are already companies doing just that like Valcon, so Gaijinworks would have competition even with that strategy.
    I think Gaijinworks had a solid strategy with Miami Law, just not the right game. Developers like Hudson and Taito are given back-burner treatment by the company that owns them. Most of their games do get released here, but with an extreme lack of enthusiasm on the part of their US publishers. It seems like Konami USA would be happy to let someone else handle every single Hudson game.

I know Vic has a boner for all things Japan, but there are also still worthwhile games from Europe not making the trip across the pond. They would be incredibly easy to release here, being in English already, so I don't get how there are still European games not getting picked up for a US release (or how there's never been a Working Designs/Nippon Ichi/Atlus/Fresh Games/Valcon/etc. for European stuff).

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

What exactly is the ownership situation with Sakura Wars? I know it's not being developed by Sega so it's not exactly in the same scenario as the previously mentioned titles, but does Sega have some ownership in RED Entertainment? I can't imagine that would be the case when they're also developed Tengai Makyo games for Hudson. Or is it that Sega wholly owns Sakura Wars and RED would never be allowed to create a Sakura Wars that isn't funded by them? But then you got Gungrave, which was also developed by RED under Sega, yet RED published the sequel themselves in Japan (with Mastiff in the US).

Isn't Valcon localizing European games? I'm more interested in their Japanese offerings, but I could've sworn they have. I know Agetec is too because we got that abysmal Falling Stars from Estonia, haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What exactly is the ownership situation with Sakura Wars?
    As the copyrights say, Sakura Wars is jointly owned by RED and Sega, and they're two separate companies that frequently collaborate. Sega obviously approved NIS America's publishing of Sakura Wars V in the U.S., and I wouldn't be surprised if Sega were to give 7th Dragon to some other American publisher.

Trivia: RED really doesn't develop a lot of titles in the nuts-and-bolts sense. They're more of a planning, idea-generating studio that handles storylines, art, and concepts for games. The actual coding and game design is often provided by other companies. For example, Sakura Wars was programmed by various Sega teams, Gungrave was programmed by Positron and Ikusabune, and I think the Tengai Makyo games were mostly programmed by Hudson. Even Thousand Arms was supposedly programmed by TOSE.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't be so black and white when it comes to big publishers. Namco-Bandai let Xseed localize Retro Game Challenge and the upcoming Sky Crawlers. Nintendo let Atlus publish Cubivore and Polarium Advance. Sega let Atlus publish the two Shining Soul games and the Shining Force remake on the GBA, and Puyo Pop Fever on the DS. Sony has let various publishers release IP's they have the rights to including the recent Demon's Souls for the PS3. Big publishers aren't against handing over their more niche titles to other publishers. If they don't want to localize something, it may very well still be up for grabs if another publisher bites.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yes, but I was speaking of those big companies as developers. Several of the games you listed were only published by those companies in Japan, so they'd be more inclined to allow someone else to publish them in the US (if their say is even needed). When we're talking big projects that they themselves developed, like Mother 3 and Yakuza 3, I can say with firm confidence that they're not handing them over. And you demonstrate a good point in that companies like Xseed and Atlus are already picking up the niche titles, so what's left for a company like Gaijinworks when the only serious gaps in what we're missing are big titles that they can't get anyway? They're left with what's TOO niche even for Atlus and Xseed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What exactly is the ownership situation with Sakura Wars? I know it's not being developed by Sega so it's not exactly in the same scenario as the previously mentioned titles, but does Sega have some ownership in RED Entertainment? I can't imagine that would be the case when they're also developed Tengai Makyo games for Hudson. Or is it that Sega wholly owns Sakura Wars and RED would never be allowed to create a Sakura Wars that isn't funded by them? But then you got Gungrave, which was also developed by RED under Sega, yet RED published the sequel themselves in Japan (with Mastiff in the US).
    RED only co-owns the Sakura Wars franchise. The first few were developed by Overworks. I don't know who developed the recent one.

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    People keep saying this, so why am I still constantly disappointed with Japanese releases not making it overseas? Still no word on a translation for 7th Dragon, an RPG produced by Rieko Kodama and with a soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro. No sign of 428, which got a perfect score in Famitsu. No localization for Front Mission 5, which was considered by many in Japan to be the best in the series. They've hinted that Yakuza 3 might someday see the light of day, but I've given up hope on Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan (which was very highly rated in Japanese media). Nintendo sure didn't bother with Mother 3, and whatever happened to Fatal Frame IV? I could go on.

It is true that Working Designs releases were very few and far between towards the end of their existence, but that wasn't due to a lack of appropriate games, it was just stupidity on their part. The above are recent examples, but I could come up with just as many for 2001-2004.
    QFT. There are always weird/obscure/whatever games that get left in Japan. The people who try to act like Working Designs was no big loss always just blow my mind. They did some really great work, and, coincidentally, I felt like their translation really added to the entertainment value of Albert Odyssey. Atlus is the only other company that comes close, in my opinion. NIS goes beyond niche with the titles they bring over...so many SRPGs/TRPGs that it's just nuts. At least with Atlus you get a lot of variety in the types of games they release.

I'm excited about the PSP release of Lunar, but I know it won't be the same...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this has been posted already, but Sunsoft just announced they acquired Telenet Japan's entire back catalog: http://www.sunsoftgames.com/news/200...%20Library.php

Looks like we might see games like Valis III and Gaiares for the VC pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Finally, I've been wondering who the hell owns those.

Cosmic Fantasy Stories collection please. Valis as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think a good amount of the Telenet Japan games will be released on the vc. I'll be more interested in the Turbo cd games than the Sega Genesis games they did.

I own a Sega Genesis for 17 years and I own most of Telenet Japan Sega Genesis games that were released in North America with Renovation Products being the publisher.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 12-10-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I accidentally hit the reply button instead of the edit button.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted already, but Sunsoft just announced they acquired Telenet Japan's entire back catalog: http://www.sunsoftgames.com/news/200...%20Library.php

Looks like we might see games like Valis III and Gaiares for the VC pretty soon.
    WIN!!

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0) ShinGundam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PR :
    Initial plans are to quickly begin publication of the original software releases on Virtual Console systems available on the Wii and other platforms. Then new development of key titles in the library will be initiated, targeting the best and most-wanted to be remade for current consoles and services. Given that many of the Telenet series had only one of the installments released in the US, some of these Virtual Console and remade releases will be seen for the first time in Western markets.
    Valis X please! J/K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Sci-Fi Channel did pretty well for itself back with its "Saturday Anime" block where it would show a random 2 hour anime feature regardless of what it was or whether it was any good. Sometimes you scored with Tenchi and other times you got boring trash like Robot Carnival.
    That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever read on these forums, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Cosmic Fantasy Stories collection please.
    Yes, please.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever read on these forums, hands down.
    It's terrible with a capital T. It's only redeeming quality is if you need to get to sleep early.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hey, cool, more exposure for Wolf Team. And a chance for Valis to redeem itself to some degree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope they make a new 16-bit style Blaster Master game for download (like Konami did with Gradius Rebirth and Contra Rebirth)...only actually make the game GOOD, and a worthy sequel to the NES original.