Thread: SNES power supply trouble?

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES power supply trouble?

This is kind of odd...

I picked up an SNES mini this week at Goodwill for 25 bucks. That included all cords and two controllers. I get home and it doesn't turn on. I switch out the power supply with my regular SNES and nothing. Now I try both of the adapters on my regular SNES and nothing happens. Now I'm a little worried, because my SNES has held up for a very long time and I'm afraid it may be broken (I hadn't used it for a month or so).

I try the power supply that I know has worked for a long time on several outlets and all the sudden it powers on my regular SNES. I take that adapter and immediately try it on the SNES mini and now that works.

The next day I grab my regular SNES and bring it into another room to play. I take the adapter off the mini and put it on my old SNES when I am in the other room. Same thing, no power. I try it on various outlets until it works.

Now that it's working again, I plug it back into the mini and decide to just leave it there. It seems to be working if I don't move it around.

I guess I'll just buy another adapter, but does anyone know why this might be happening?

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is the round piece of plastic that sits around the connectors in the back of the SNES gone? That fell off of my original one, causing it to work with 5% chance now. I bought another console for 8 bucks at a flea market, with the plastic piece. It has a similar problem, but at least works 25% of the time, and if I don't move it a lot, 100%

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no, it's still there. i see snes consoles at thrifts without that piece around the connectors all the time. i always pass because i assume they would have problems.

what i don't understand is why the adapter all the sudden has trouble working on my main snes that i've had for years and has never had a problem until it was stuck into the mini.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there ne way to fix the plastic piece missing? im fairly new to fixing nintendos... but ive got a ton ppl just gave to me... how do i fix the blinking color/bckground problem too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

i am on the find for replacement for the dc socket i need to know the mm ? eg: mega drive model one is 2.1mm
    the blinking prob just buy a toohbursh and get some iso alcohol and leave it to dry for few minutes and should be fine do it with n64 console

Quote Originally Posted by LeoGt View Post
    Is there ne way to fix the plastic piece missing? im fairly new to fixing nintendos... but ive got a ton ppl just gave to me... how do i fix the blinking color/bckground problem too?
    Last edited by raylydiard; 02-02-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES power adapter is the only power adapter to ever break on me. Something tells me Nintendo put less care into those than into the ones for N64 and NES.

The cord might be broken, causing it to only work when it is bent a certain way. Plug your system in, and move the cord around to see if you get anything.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click