Thread: Hey Punk! Fighting Game Genre FIGHT!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) allyourbase's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hey Punk! Fighting Game Genre FIGHT!!!

My friend and I were having a talk the other night and I wanted to present it to the forum to see what you guys think.
    We were discussing the definitions of the "beat-em-up" and "fighting" genres of games. We had been talking about playing some "beat-em-up's" on SNES, so naturally I brought over what I thought to be some of the best of the genre, Final Fight 3, Turtles in Time, Rival Turf (best of the genre, lmao), Knights of the Round, etc. When I got to his apartment, he had pulled from his shelves Street Fighter II, Alpha, MK 3 and Ranma 1/2 for the session.

What ensued was an argument over the definition of "beat-em-up" and "fighting". Is it a US thing to call those type (turtles, final fight) games "beat-em-up" and a PAL/Europe thing to call them "fighting"? He's american but he cited several overseas auctions describing "beat-em-ups" as "fighters".
    To me, a beat-em-up suggests a free-for-all slugger, much like what Final Fight, Streets of Rage etc. very much are. Calling something a "fighting game" implies emphasis on one-on-one, technical executions of moves and fighting styles, etc. A beat-em-up is a button masher...
    Do I just have it backwards? What do you guys distinguish those titles as?

Bonus Level:

Name your favorite "Beat-em-up"/ "Fighting" titles.....GO!!!!

1. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
    2.Turtles in Time would be 1st, but I can run it through in like 30 minutes now (SNES)
    3. Final Fight/Golden Axe series

Fighting- Marvel VS. Capcom 2... I have never gotten over my unhealthy obsession of either Cammy or comic heroes
    Last edited by allyourbase; 12-07-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Earning XP since 1986
    USA SNES game count- 94
    USA NES game count- 119
    "Punch him in the mouth to stun him... Then throw your Poke'ball!" -Allyourbase

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see it the way you do on the definitions. I like Beat'em ups, but dont really care too much for fighters like Streets Fighter 2. One of our favorite Beat'em Ups is Battletoads vs. DD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I go with beat-em-up or "brawlers" for those Final Fight style games. If those are fighters, then what the hell do you call stuff like Street Fighter 2?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) allyourbase's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I go with beat-em-up or "brawlers" for those Final Fight style games. If those are fighters, then what the hell do you call stuff like Street Fighter 2?

Apparently a "beat-em-up" or "brawler" according to him (and several JP vendors)... Isn't that confusing? He specifically called them brawlers now that you mention it. Anyone ever hear this discrepancy?
    Earning XP since 1986
    USA SNES game count- 94
    USA NES game count- 119
    "Punch him in the mouth to stun him... Then throw your Poke'ball!" -Allyourbase

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Actually a brawler is a different genre. Super Smash Brothers for example is considered a brawler by the fighting game comunity.

As for the other 2 definitions I'm in the same boat, "beat 'em up" for Double Dragon/Final Fight games.
    "Fighting" for 1 on 1 VS fighting games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've worked on two popular, at one time, online game databases. We use to have meetings that lasted forever on these sorts of issues. Yes. Actual office meetings. I miss those days. What we came up with, fairly quickly for these discussions since we would argue like crazy, was something like this:

Beat em' ups = games where you fight multiple AI opponents at the same time. Progression is not round based. See: Final Fight, Double Dragon, etc.

Fighters = games where you must fight an AI or human opponent one at a time. Progression is round based. See: Street Fighter II, Virtua Fighter, etc.

I know I am missing some important stuff in those definitions, but it was 10+ years ago. I also think everyone gets the point.

There is always a definition breaker. Always. Pit Fighter. Street Smart. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    Actually a brawler is a different genre. Super Smash Brothers for example is considered a brawler by the fighting game comunity.
    SMB is a fighter first and foremost. If you want to start classifying it down into sub-groups, I mean, I get it. Personally, I've never heard anyone call it a brawler, but I stick to the Street Fighter community. Not so much Smash Brothers.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Short answer is, yes, they use different terminology in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post

As for the other 2 definitions I'm in the same boat, "beat 'em up" for Double Dragon/Final Fight games.
    "Fighting" for 1 on 1 VS fighting games.
    As a member of this fighting game community, I can also attest that Smash's classification is not particularly cut and dry, but the general consensus is "party fighter."
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53823
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14643
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25417

As for terminology, I like "beat 'em up" or "scrolling fighter" for one case, and "versus fighter" for the other.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Short answer is, yes, they use different terminology in Europe.
    You mean how they call platformers "jump & runs" or something like that some of the time? What do they do for fighting games (Street Fighter II) and beat 'em ups (Streets of Rage) then, reverse them as has been suggested here?

Oh, and I'd call SSB a fighting game... not a normal fighting game, it's probably in its own subgenre, but a fighting game.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If I remember correctly, Europeans generally refer to fighting games as "beat 'em ups", and they refer to beat 'em ups as "brawlers".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage View Post
    Fighters = games where you must fight an AI or human opponent one at a time. Progression is round based.
    Or more simply put, a one-on-one fighting tournament.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Beat-Em-Ups:

Final Fight
    Streets of Rage
    Die Hard Arcade
    Guardian Heroes
    River City Ransom
    Double Dragon
    Golden Axe

Fighting games:
    Soul Calibur
    Street Fighter
    Mortal Kombat
    Killer Instinct
    Virtua Fighter
    Tekken

Beat-Em-Ups have you fighting against a slew of enemies in different environments to get to a goal. The gameplay is pretty basic, with 1 or 2 different attacks, a multitude of weapons, and sometimes special moves. Most beat-em-ups are Co-Op games.

Fighting games pit fighters one-on one against each-other in an arena, and you mainly stay in the same place rather than move to different places as in Beat-em-ups. The objective is to kill/defeat your opponent using many different types of punches and kicks, but usually no weapons. Fighters are Versus games compared to Co-Op Beat-Em-Ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was under the impression that in the UK, Street Fighter would be considered a punch-up, while Final Fight is more of a roustabout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually try to say "fighter" instead of "fighting game", because "fighter" sounds more like a genre name, whereas "fighting game" could mean any game in which you fight. But I'm probably overanalyzing. I agree with most people here that beat 'em ups are games like Double Dragon. I think a fighter isn't necessarily 1-on-1 by definition, but it almost always is, and I also don't consider games like Smash Bros. to be fighters. I consider Smash Bros. and Power Stone to be "brawlers", but since some people think brawler is synonymous with beat 'em up or fighter, I also use the term "arena fighter" on occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think of 'fighter' as being any sort of player-vs-player fighting game. That would include 1on1 fighters, arena fighters, and I guess some wrestling games as well.

Beatemups, to me, are either single player or co-op multiplayer and involve fighting though waves of AI enemies.

Of course there are various games and game modes that blur the line between these genres. Tekken has beatemup minigames, and many beatemups have versus or 'duel' modes, for example.

I'm not quite sure where to put Pit Fighter, but whichever barrel you put it in, it's going to be at the bottom, underneath all the roast turkeys and katanas.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beat 'em up - Ex. Final Fight

VS Beat 'em up - Ex. Street Fighter II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Sosage explained it quite well. Both genres are incredible, though. Fighting games are my favorite genre.

SFIV is my favorite fighting game, and Final Fight 3 is my favorite Beat em Up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Both genres are incredible, though.
    Come on, you can't call a "genre" incredible! There is no shortage of spectacularly awful games in either category.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)