Thread: Dragon's Lair re-re-re-re-re-released ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Dragon's Lair re-re-re-re-re-released ...

... this time, for the iPhone. For $4.99, you can now lead Dirk the Daring on his quest to rescue Princess Daphne from the evil dragon Sirge right on your iPod/iPhone.

Back in 1983, it required state-of-the-art hardware to power a Dragon's Lair machine, so as a Luddite it amazes me that a phone can run the game at all ... but run it, it does. After watching the original trailer from the title screen, I was a believer.

The game overlays a semi-translucent control panel with which you control Dirk. The sword button is on the left and the controls are on the right (and it's swappable for lefties). The game can be played in either "home" or "arcade" modes, for those of you that get uptight about screen orders. You can also choose to have the correct moves light up on the control panel, at which point you can beat the game by simply watching the controls and not watching the game video at all.

Although slightly compressed, the video and audio are terrific. According to the website, Space Ace is also available.

The biggest problem with this release is the problem ever version of Dragon's Lair has, and that's that Dragon's Lair isn't that fun of a game. I enjoyed the nostalgic value, but I don't know that I'll ever run it again except to show it to other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's amazing what they can do with old technology today, isn't it. I remember being mesmerized by Dragon's Lair at the arcade. Now, it can fit in your pocket.

I don't have an iPhone, so I guess I will play it on the Sega CD version I picked up recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bah, Cobra Command is where it's at. Some stunning visuals there, and a cursor to move around to boot. Apparently Space Ace and Mad Dog McCree are coming / came to the iPhone, too.

It's nice that Dragon's Lair is being released again. Although it's nothing new, as the topic title hints, it does show that Digital Leisure was way ahead of the curve. G-Mode, owner of many Data East properties, is just now orienting around rereleasing some of the classic DE properties; Digital Leisure got in long before they had to compete with emulation. At the sort of prices being asked for, the modern polish on these old games (particularly Cobra Command) may well be the extra value that justifies the asking price for avoiding the hassle of going the arr-route for many folks.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Dragon's Lair on iPhone is pretty okay.

My biggest gripe is that you have to cover half the screen with your thumbs to control it ... and since Dragon's Lair has always been a visual spectacle, well, it's very counter-intuitive.

Not bad for $5, same goes for Space Ace ... but, more fun on a big screen without giant thumbs in front of it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Now, it can fit in your pocket.
    It came out for the Game Boy Color several years ago, it's not exactly arcade perfect but it's close to it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    prorattafactor

I share the same concern of wanting to watch the incredible animation of it and not have my thumb all over it. I have it on DVD, I think I'll just stick to it on there :P
    Last edited by gatti; 12-08-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
    I develop indie games on iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This should be merged, it seems there's another thread on this re-release.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138894

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I thought I'd bring it up here, since this is a thread about FMV laserdisc arcade games on the iPhone/iPod Touch... Cobra Command has been ported to the iPhone now. I've only played the game on the Sega CD, so I had no idea that the original animation looked so good.