Thread: Do you think there will ever be another Ogre Tactics game, and would it be good?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you think there will ever be another Ogre Tactics game, and would it be good?

With the poster child for corruptness(and only looking for the fast buck), Squaresoft(Yes I'm using their old name, please don't bring it up, just thinking about them forcing ENIX to Merge gives me nightmares), and how they own Quest supposedly, do you think there will ever be another Tactics Ogre game made(and would it be good or would it suck, just how those mother ******* scumbags killed FFT, among every series based title they own/creates)?
    Last edited by Zoltor; 12-09-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a hell of a sentence.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    That's a hell of a sentence.
    It just looks longer then it actually is, due to all the footnotes lol.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You know, Squaresoft was the one that needed bailing out, not the other way around. Squaresoft was bleeding money because of the supreme failure of the Final Fantasy movie (Spirits Within, not Advent Children), and Enix bought the majority stake in the company. Squaresoft was begging Enix to merge, not forcing. Enix was on solid ground, but they took it as an opportunity to eliminate their competition, have practically all of the biggest RPG franchises under their belt, and make even more money.

Anyway, I'd say a Tactics Ogre game is more likely than an Ogre Battle game, but who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I love Tactics Ogre (PS and GBA) too, but what's wrong with Final Fantasy Tactics? Most would agree that FFTA and A2 are a little weak, but the PS/PSP version FFT is the best representation of the tactical RPG genre...which is pretty incredible considering it's been out for 12 years.

If Konami is resurrecting Vandal Hearts...I'm sure Square-Enix will be revisiting The Ogre franchise at some point.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    With the poster child for corruptness(and only looking for the fast buck), Squaresoft(Yes I'm using their old name, please don't bring it up, just thinking about them focing ENIX to Merge gives me nightmares), and how they own Quest supposedly, do you think there will ever be another Tactics Ogre game made(and would it be good or would it suck, just how those mother ******* scumbags killed FFT, among every series based title they own/creates)?
    THIS GOSH DARN THREAD MAKES ME SO GOSH DARN MAD!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is my favorite game of all time and I would like to see another Tactics Ogre, preferably on a portable system and hopefully in a similar graphical style as both LUCT and KoL.

Now, Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis, even though it had a great storyline and a few good things about it, was incredibly flawed. The other good things were the changes to the classes, such as how the Warlock was now changed to a hybrid physical/magic class instead, or how the Valkyrie powered up male allies, etc, also the Emblem system to gain specific classes or doing specific things to get additional stats, etc. The damage ratio was really broken so that you had to have an insane attack power to take off a high amount of damage. Spells would also take off similarly low damage unless you're using someone overly powered like Cybil. So overall, great game but unfortunately had flawed gameplay.

Anyways. Final Fantasy Tactics was an amazing game. Storyline was great, job system, battles, etc. Only behind FF6 as my favored. Then FFTactics Advance was released. Now, when it comes to gameplay of FFTA. I actually enjoy it more than that of FFT overall. It's obvious that the battles are much better in FFT, but once you beat the game that's it.

In FFT, changing a class changes stats, so unless you level down and grind, your characters are still going to be the same as leveling up as specific classes only does minor changes. FFTA takes the Ogre Battle approach where stats are increased by what class you are and stays that way regardless of what class you change to. This means that you have to put more thought into developing your party whether this character is going to be a magic user or if the character is going to be a hybrid or maybe just straight physical. So from the start of the game you really have to know where you want to go with your classes on FFTA, just like Tactics Ogre. In my opinion this makes this specific type of class system much better than that in FFT. A reason why I dump all my standard characters in FFT aside from four.

On FFTA, The enemy AI isn't really super smart either. Also, the last difference is that evade is mainly from what side of the enemy you're attacking, never basing it off a stat. It's different, but not really that bad.

So yeah. The FFTA games don't suck, they're different from FFT. They're mostly similar to Tactics Ogre other than storyline, which the FFTA story isn't so great, but that's it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I love Tactics Ogre (PS and GBA) too, but what's wrong with Final Fantasy Tactics? Most would agree that FFTA and A2 are a little weak, but the PS/PSP version FFT is the best representation of the tactical RPG genre...which is pretty incredible considering it's been out for 12 years.

If Konami is resurrecting Vandal Hearts...I'm sure Square-Enix will be revisiting The Ogre franchise at some point.
    You misunderstood, when I said killed FFT off(I meant as a series), I was talking about the creation of the FFTA games(as the original FFT rocks). Yea, I'm sure they will at some point, but as much as I would love that, I'm scared they are gonna screw it up.

To the person saying square needed bailing out: Yes correct, but after the merge, why is it that square seems to run every thing, and yes I do mean everything. rermember the POS FF 12, well after the merge, all of a sudden they turn DQ8 into pure 3D, and if the Japanese didn't basically threatened to kill them, Square was gonna turn DQ 9 into a FF 12 wannabe non RPG game.

Then there's the DQM: Joker Fiasco, omg what a crappy game that is, anyone who thinks hand drwn maps(which those maps, and the art stye sucked anyway for the game) is better then a infinate amount of randomizing maps, should be shot on sight(omg, you should've seen how the press releases were praising that crappy art before the game came out, it makes me sick, that they thought this was a good change over past DQM games, yea so good that it warrants only having 7 maps in the entire game).

That kind of thinking has all square written all over it(3D, changing the genre of a huge franchise, taking graphics over gameplay, and such), It's very clear which side of the merge is running the show(and no, just because they have a token ENIX person as a figurehead, doesn't mean anyonything, look at Parlament lol, same deal). Squaresoft overstayed its welcome by years(now 8 years), it would've been better for them to just die out, they screwed up the industry enough as of late, time to make way for better companies.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 12-09-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've never gotten the impression that the traditional Squaresoft side is having any impact on the development of the games belonging to the traditional Enix side nor have I heard any facts to suggest that. Throughout Enix's history, they developed very few games themselves, and the third party developers they employ are just as independent as they've always been.

I'm sure Dragon Quest VIII would've gone fully 3D regardless. When did it begin development anyway? There's a possibly it might've started before the merger. Either way, no game in the series better captured Toriyama's artwork, so I think they made the right choice.

And I guess I should be shot because I found the randomized dungeons in the first Dragon Quest Monsters to be mind-numbingly boring. :P

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm sure Dragon Quest VIII would've gone fully 3D regardless. When did it begin development anyway? There's a possibly it might've started before the merger.
    It did. Dragon Quest 8 was also created by Level 5. Basically outsourced.

When it comes to the graphics and world, Level 5 did an amazing job on the game, possibly the best looking game on the PS2. The menu system looked similar to the ones in most of their games and a basic item creation system similar to the ones that they use in their other games as well. Add one item and add something else and you get another.

The original Dragon Warrior Monsters was good but the random maps really had no substance. Dragon Monsters 2 had better random maps which actually looked like fairly well developed maps, etc. Only a limited amount as you needed the keys for them, but there are quite a few variations(in the tens of thousands actually.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Not really related, but Etrian Odyssey 3 was announced today.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    And strangely the most interesting post of the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    SWEET!!! SOMEONE GET ICARUS MOONSIGHT A HEADSUP!

I could swear I saw this same thread on the Atlus forums.....

The chances of there ever being another (anything)-ogre-(anything) game again is about as high as Nintendo giving the go ahead for wisdom tree to publish their steller nes lineup on virtual console. Maybe as good as Vanillaware finding the source code for Princess Crown though my money is on Nintendo if we're taking bets.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    SWEET!!! SOMEONE GET ICARUS MOONSIGHT A HEADSUP!

I could swear I saw this same thread on the Atlus forums.....

The chances of there ever being another (anything)-ogre-(anything) game again is about as high as Nintendo giving the go ahead for wisdom tree to publish their steller nes lineup on virtual console. Maybe as good as Vanillaware finding the source code for Princess Crown though my money is on Nintendo if we're taking bets.
    Yea, that game was posted in the ATLUS suggestion forums(or if you meant "this" thread, if you did, it wasn't from me).

Well, until square is about to go out of business again, anyway(lets be real, they already squeezed out pretty much every penny they can from FF remakes, there's really nothing else they could do, next time they are about to die).
    Last edited by Zoltor; 12-10-2009 at 02:55 AM.