I just purchased a GenMobile yesterday at the local game store. I still have mixed feelings about it personally. The box is amazing (go figure). The system appears and feels sort of cheaply made, but I guess that's to be expected.

My Nomad just seems SO much better built, heavier duty. The D-Pad is hard to get used to, but the more I play it the better it seems, going up down left and right is not the problem, it's the diagonal movements that can get ya sometimes, and in a shooter where you have no time to make any movement errors this can be a problem. The sound at times can be ear splitting.

Also, I tried 4 different carts I had laying around and only mortal kombat worked. Phantasy Star IV loaded up but had garbage on screen. It would not boot Virtua Racing which is to be expected. Also the 6-pak would no load up. The 20 games that are built in do seem to work fine. Altered Beast seems to have a minor graphical glitch at the top of the screen. I have not tried the other 50 games or so that I own yet.

The screen is really nice, I have to give it that, and even though the sound is horrible at times, at least it's loud compared to the quiet speakers my Nomad has, but I normally keep the volume down a bit.

My Nomad has a MUCH larger screen, even if it is blurry doing movement. The Nomad screen is also a bit darker. The GenMobile does not have brightness/contrast controls which I wish it did because it seems that it's almost TOO bright. The battery life is insane, some people are reporting 11 hours. I have yet to kill the battery on it since I charged it and have played maybe a couple of hours on it so far.

I purchased the GenMobile to replace my Nomad but I have decided to keep the Nomad.

GenMobile pros = Nice bright and crystal clear screen
20 built in games is nice for the road
Battery life is amazing > 10 hours reported
Box is beautiful
Very light - Small Form Factor
Easy to locate, and buy NEW

GenMobile cons = Sound is at times horrible + Mono
D-Pad is hard to get used to
Compatibility so far does not seem to be very good
Plastic casing feels very cheap
Minor graphical glitches in some games
No second controller port
Not a real Sega Genesis
Missing the MODE button, not sure if that matters

Nomad pros = LARGE screen
Controls are BEAUTIFUL
Replicates all sounds PERFECTLY + Stereo
PLAYS ALL GAMES PERFECTLY
Takes a licking, keeps on ticking
Has second controller port
Nomad IS a Sega Genesis in every way

Nomad cons = Old screen technology
Sound is somewhat quieter than GenMobile
Takes 6 AA Batterys < 2 Hours Life
Very large and Heavy
Battery Pack can easily be lost/Rare
Nomad is hard to find/Rare

My opinion may swing for the better OR worse once I get more time on the GenMobile and can test more games on it.

If you have a Nomad - DO NOT get rid of it for a GenMobile, you will regret it, I am glad that I didn't sell my Nomad first before getting the GenMobile.

Am I regretting my purchase? No, not so far, it's actually a nice little unit. But in all honesty, a Nomad is about the same price, if you can find one get the Nomad instead (just make sure it comes with the battery pack!)

Also, The Nomad's battery life can improve substantially with the use of high mAH rechargeable batteries, preferably 2600+. And even more so if you replace the LCD screen with a new one. This mod is expensive however.

GenMobile 6/10
Nomad 8/10