Thread: 360 Open Tray error.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default 360 Open Tray error.

My second Xbox 360 Elite is having a problem reading discs, or at least started having one recently. Last time I played the 360, it worked perfectly. I powered it up today, put in a game, and it gave me the Open Tray error. I tried another game, and it worked. I tried another one, and it worked.

I took out the disc, closed the tray, and noticed a whirring noise as it closed. Powered it back up, and the few games that it did work with don't work at all. Any help?

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    My second Xbox 360 Elite is having a problem reading discs, or at least started having one recently. Last time I played the 360, it worked perfectly. I powered it up today, put in a game, and it gave me the Open Tray error. I tried another game, and it worked. I tried another one, and it worked.

I took out the disc, closed the tray, and noticed a whirring noise as it closed. Powered it back up, and the few games that it did work with don't work at all. Any help?
    join the club!!

i had this happen to me on my 360 this past summer and it was out of warranty. your options are pretty much to replace the disk drive or buy a new 360, unless you are lucky enough to still be in warranty. i ended up just trading some stuff in and getting a new one.

guess what? fast forward to september of this year and the same thing happens again. now, i don't know if you have tried this, but if you tap/lightly bang on the top of your 360 during load time there is a good chance it will load the disk. this is a temporary fix, because it eventually started scratching up my games when i did it. however, it worked for several months for me before and this last time i did the same thing and it worked... i sent it off to microsoft to be replaced last week, though.
    Last edited by GOLDEN KEYS; 12-12-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

This just happened to me. I tapped it above the CD-ROM and it sounded like the disc jumped. Sure enough, it worked though. How does this scratch the disc though, if they are not spinning? I don't want to mess my discs up for sure.

I am just outside my one year warranty period, and I don't think this would be covered under the RROD issue... hrm.

Is it worth it to send it back out of warranty, or should I just buy the new 250GB?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN KEYS View Post
    join the club!!

i had this happen to me on my 360 this past summer and it was out of warranty. your options are pretty much to replace the disk drive or buy a new 360, unless you are lucky enough to still be in warranty. i ended up just trading some stuff in and getting a new one.

guess what? fast forward to september of this year and the same thing happens again. now, i don't know if you have tried this, but if you tap/lightly bang on the top of your 360 during load time there is a good chance it will load the disk. this is a temporary fix, because it eventually started scratching up my games when i did it. however, it worked for several months for me before and this last time i did the same thing and it worked... i sent it off to microsoft to be replaced last week, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

What about installing the game to the HDD? Could that help reduce the "wear and tear" on the console and eventually prolong the DVD drive life?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Sounds like a good idea. I have never done it -- I'll look up how. I only have the 60GB, so I don't have a ton of space anyway. I don't really play a lot of games, though. I just wish the drive was not dying! I wonder if this is related to 1 red ring I that I got soon after I got the console? I have not had any red rings in a LONG time though. I think I have a picture of the error message somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    What about installing the game to the HDD? Could that help reduce the "wear and tear" on the console and eventually prolong the DVD drive life?