Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rarity alert: "Rival Schools "can't be re-released" capcom says

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default rarity alert: "Rival Schools "can't be re-released" capcom says

Capcom has re-released a number of classic fighting games over Xbox Live Arcade, the PlayStation Network, and Wii Virtual Console in recent years, including straight-up ports and full-blown remakes. But one game that it seems we'll sadly never seen again is the cult PS1 classic Rival Schools: United by Fate.

"There are IP clearances and rights we no longer have (particularly pertaining to voicework/soundtrack I believe) so our IP management group has told us it can't be re-released," said Capcom's Christian Svensson, in response to a user's forum question about the game (via Destructoid). "I'm sorry as it's one of the ones I really wanted to see be put back up. So if you still have that PS1 Rival Schools disc in your collection, it's unfortunately going to be the only way that gets played for the foreseeable future."

As for the game's Dreamcast sequel Project Justice, Svensson didn't specify whether they still owned all the rights to re-release it down the road. Of course, that'll first mean Capcom would have to start re-releasing Dreamcast games, but hey, it doesn't hurt to hope.
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177282

so should collector's get this fast before we see the price raised even more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not a "rarity alert" so much as it is a "lack of cheap downloadable alternatives" alert. It doubtlessly will have some small impact on availability, but then again so would emulation. So, back to square one then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rival Schools, Batsu, purchase, you ought to
    It came with one free CD, it's like I bought two
    I hope they make part 2 for Dreamcast
    'cause games I've seen in mags, you won't believe they have

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hopefully they release a Rival Schools 3 on the PS360. From how it sounded is that it has problems with its IP because of certain things in the game. If they removed what was having problems with in a third game and just built around what they had left(as well as having characters from the second game added,) they'd have another great game for a next gen system.

Capcom has so many good series they've completely dropped. I think they should start picking up on a few of their other series, such as Rival Schools, Power Stone, or atleast Breath of Fire.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Rival Schools, Batsu, purchase, you ought to
    It came with one free CD, it's like I bought two
    I hope they make part 2 for Dreamcast
    'cause games I've seen in mags, you won't believe they have
    lol!

We kicked some casual Rival Schools today at Michigan Masters, actually. I'd forgotten how much fun that game is. Has anyone played the aforementioned sequel, Project Justice, and is it worth picking up at it's ridiculous aftermarket price tag?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    It's not a "rarity alert" so much as it is a "lack of cheap downloadable alternatives" alert. It doubtlessly will have some small impact on availability, but then again so would emulation. So, back to square one then.
    let me put it this way...

Castlevania Chronicles for ps1 use to cost at least 70 dollars for a complete version. since the psn release, i can find complete copies for 30 dollars.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on average would cost 100 dollars for a complete version. since the digital release, the game has dropped to aprox. 50 dollars.

now imagine the reverse effect of that. it has been officialy announced that there will be no psn, xbox live, or VC version. not now, not soon, not ever. this news could easily drive the price of existing copies way up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by jaekwon15 View Post
    let me put it this way...

Castlevania Chronicles for ps1 use to cost at least 70 dollars for a complete version. since the psn release, i can find complete copies for 30 dollars.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on average would cost 100 dollars for a complete version. since the digital release, the game has dropped to aprox. 50 dollars.

now imagine the reverse effect of that. it has been officialy announced that there will be no psn, xbox live, or VC version. not now, not soon, not ever. this news could easily drive the price of existing copies way up.
    Dude, I bought CC four years ago, near mint, for forty bucks. A quick search on Ebay will show you that the price hasn't fluctuated all that much.

MvC2 has a very prolific and enthusiastic community that has no less than six different ways to play the game: there's no community for Rival Schools (despite it's radness!) Besides, MvC2 had a very low print run to justify it's resale value. RSUBF is much easier to find.

They'll never reprint Evil Zone, Psychic Force, Senko No Ronde, or Battle Raper 3 either. That doesn't mean they'll be worth significantly more in the future, unless a huge community suddenly springs up around them.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 12-13-2009 at 03:38 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Battle Raper 3
    I think you may have misspelled that. o_0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    I think you may have misspelled that. o_0
    ...or did he? Bikini Samurai Squad level of NSFW there.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177282

so should collector's get this fast before we see the price raised even more?
    We should take these claims with a grain of salt. Capcom said the exact same thing about Marvel vs. Capcom, claiming they couldn't get the rights. Somehow, they made it happen. I doubt Rival Schools would be as complicated an IP to license as dealing with Marvel would be.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Rarity =/= value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Has anyone played the aforementioned sequel, Project Justice, and is it worth picking up at it's ridiculous aftermarket price tag?
    I don't know the price of Project Justice right now, but the game is definitely worth picking up. Basically take the same game, up the graphics, and add more characters for each school. Wild Daigo and Zaki are two characters I really like that are only on Project Justice, but pretty much every other character on the original Rival Schools is on there as well(except the custom characters I think.)

It's been an extremely long time since I've played the game because I didn't own it, my friend did. I only own the PSX Rival Schools.

Evil Zone
    I liked. It gets old fairly quickly but it's really fun playing multiplayer. Good came considering it's a one button fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Project Justice was fun, but I don't think it's worth the $60+ it's going for now. This thread made me check through my old paypal transactions to see if I sold my copy before (when it was worth less....) but I couldn't find it. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be in storage at my parent's house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

MvC2 has a very prolific and enthusiastic community that has no less than six different ways to play the game: there's no community for Rival Schools (despite it's radness!) Besides, MvC2 had a very low print run to justify it's resale value. RSUBF is much easier to find.
    MVC2 had nowhere near a very low print run, at least by what I've seen. There's been a steady supply at most of the Gamestops here. I did some "phone call searching" and found around 30 copies within 100 miles alone. For the record, I have only seen RS a little more than three times. MVC2 was nearly common back when it came out, and still is to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I don't know the price of Project Justice right now, but the game is definitely worth picking up. Basically take the same game, up the graphics, and add more characters for each school. Wild Daigo and Zaki are two characters I really like that are only on Project Justice, but pretty much every other character on the original Rival Schools is on there as well(except the custom characters I think.)
    Or, they could just make an all new game. Seeing a sequel would be a lot cooler than an "enchanced" remake. All that time and money would be better spent on something new anyway.
    Last edited by Kyle15; 12-13-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

It's likely the soundtrack that's the issue.... that's my guess anyway.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage View Post
    ...or did he? Bikini Samurai Squad level of NSFW there.
    Yeah... Sorry if I exposed more people to the existence of Battle Raper. I'm honestly shocked it isn't some kind of meme by now.

I liked. It gets old fairly quickly but it's really fun playing multiplayer. Good came considering it's a one button fighter.
    Yeah. Evil Zone is pretty great, and so is the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    MVC2 had nowhere near a very low print run, at least by what I've seen. There's been a steady supply at most of the Gamestops here. I did some "phone call searching" and found around 30 copies within 100 miles alone. For the record, I have only seen RS a little more than three times. MVC2 was nearly common back when it came out, and still is to an extent.
    Capcom lost the Marvel license very soon after releasing MvC2, so there were never enough copies to satisfy demand. I've seen a few copies at stores around town, but the asking price hasn't diminished much (here in MI, at least).

The value of PSX Persona hasn't dropped much since the re-release on PSP, Final Fantasy VII still goes for quite a bit despite the PSN release: I'm just saying that availability as a download doesn't always affect the value of the physical disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends which version you're talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Or, they could just make an all new game. Seeing a sequel would be a lot cooler than an "enchanced" remake. All that time and money would be better spent on something new anyway.
    I wasn't saying rereleasing Project Justice. G-Boobie was asking if it was better than Rival Schools and worth the amount it's going for on Ebay. I just said that Project Justice was Rival Schools with more characters and better graphics.

However, if it did get a PS360 release regardless of being a port or entirely new game, yet had online. I'd definitely pick it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Depends which version you're talking about.
    The PS2 version. I never actually knew it had a small production run until a couple of years ago. Seeing so many copies around led me to believe it was never short printed.

I wasn't saying rereleasing Project Justice. G-Boobie was asking if it was better than Rival Schools and worth the amount it's going for on Ebay. I just said that Project Justice was Rival Schools with more characters and better graphics.

However, if it did get a PS360 release regardless of being a port or entirely new game, yet had online. I'd definitely pick it up.
    Ah, I see. Jumped to the chase a bit too fast there. Anyway, I agree.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 version. I never actually knew it had a small production run until a couple of years ago. Seeing so many copies around led me to believe it was never short printed.
    The impression that I get is that the Xbox version had a smaller print run.