Thread: rarity alert: "Rival Schools "can't be re-released" capcom says

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Rarity =/= value.
    Thank you sir.

And thanks to jaekwon for pointing me to the possibility of deals on Chronicles. Honestly, this rerelease stuff is good for everybody. It's kind of like how Chronicles was supposed to bring down the price of Dracula X68000.

Silly me, I went after that one before emulation was good but after it was no longer completely unknown in the collecting community...I don't think the original X68000 version will ever return to 2003 and prior levels, but it shouldn't be near the peak anymore. That one will always have some real rarity though, especially as the original hardware is hard to locate and import.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Capcom has so many good series they've completely dropped. I think they should start picking up on a few of their other series, such as Rival Schools, Power Stone, or atleast Breath of Fire.
    Or DarkStalkers. I got the PSP game today and I forgot how awesome Vampire Chronicles was. Can you imagine a Dark Stalkers 4 with BlazBlue style HD graphics? *drools*
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    It's likely the soundtrack that's the issue.... that's my guess anyway.
    Yeah that would make it the same thing as Earthbound.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The soundtrack could be swapped out with only a couple hours of work, though.
    All they would need to do is decide what to replace it with. Maybe they could use the BGM from Project Justice.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by jaekwon15 View Post
    let me put it this way...

Castlevania Chronicles for ps1 use to cost at least 70 dollars for a complete version. since the psn release, i can find complete copies for 30 dollars.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on average would cost 100 dollars for a complete version. since the digital release, the game has dropped to aprox. 50 dollars.

now imagine the reverse effect of that. it has been officialy announced that there will be no psn, xbox live, or VC version. not now, not soon, not ever. this news could easily drive the price of existing copies way up.
    I understand that creating Capcom and Konami creating the digital download versions of MvC2 and CV Chronicles drove down the physical version prices as there became more ways to play them legally on current systems. That makes perfect sense. However, why would any prices be altered by doing nothing, as Capcom is doing here? The only people I can see driving up prices at this point are speculators that see panicked posts like this and drive up the prices by selling their copies at a higher point thinking that people are going to pay more for them because of a perceived rarity spike.

Good job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The impression that I get is that the Xbox version had a smaller print run.
    Both versions had SMALL print runs (not sure which was less). The Xbox version plays much better hence why it was desired more. It used to be the PS2 version went for more $, but that may be due to the PS2 having a much bigger installed base.
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I understand that creating Capcom and Konami creating the digital download versions of MvC2 and CV Chronicles drove down the physical version prices as there became more ways to play them legally on current systems. That makes perfect sense. However, why would any prices be altered by doing nothing, as Capcom is doing here? The only people I can see driving up prices at this point are speculators that see panicked posts like this and drive up the prices by selling their copies at a higher point thinking that people are going to pay more for them because of a perceived rarity spike.

Good job.
    The only way I could see this affecting price, is if the availability of downloadable PS1 games drove down prices across the board when the service launched, based on speculation that all games were potential releases. I don't believe that was the case, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Good job.
    passive agressive much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    We should take these claims with a grain of salt. Capcom said the exact same thing about Marvel vs. Capcom, claiming they couldn't get the rights. Somehow, they made it happen. I doubt Rival Schools would be as complicated an IP to license as dealing with Marvel would be.
    That was way back when some other company (forgot who) had the rights though. I know Marvel really wanted to work with Capcom again, and a deal was worked out when the other contract expired.

Yeah that would make it the same thing as Earthbound.
    I still think that rumor's bogus, most likely it's just Nintendo realizing that Earthbound isn't exactly a hot seller.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jaekwon15 View Post
    passive agressive much?
    I'm glad that you brought this to our attention, but please leave speculation on price fluctuations to the reader. As kaedesdisciple said, there's no evidence that this will make prices skyrocket. They'll just follow the usual patterns for any game that doesn't get a rerelease.