Thread: Is there a GBA Flash Cart that does the following?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there a GBA Flash Cart that does the following?

1) Works on a Gamecube Gameboy Player

and

2) Plays GB and GBC games

and

3) Works with large games like Mother 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1) The Game Boy Player is 100% GBA-compatible, so pretty much everything that works on a GBA will work on a Game Boy Player.

2) GB and GBC games can be played on a GBA flash cart by using the Goomba emulator. Apparently there are some really old, really obscure GBA flash carts that can be used to play GB and GBC games natively (namely the Flash Advance equipped with a GB-Bridge), but they're really not worth tracking down, as Goomba is entirely adequate.

3) How else do you think people have been playing Mother 3 on native hardware!? The only catch with a game like Mother 3 is that it will usually have to be loaded into NOR RAM, which means it will take a few minutes to load up the first time you play it - but after that it will load almost instantly.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I use this one, and it works just fine in a Gamecube GBA player, although I find I have better luck saving GB/GBC games if I port them to GBA first using Goomba on a PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That one seems to be sold out at the moment.

I use the EZFlash IV. It uses miniSD cards instead of standard SD cards, but the appropriate card (or microSD adapter) is not at all difficult to obtain.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I have an M3 Perfect, and it has built in functionality for playing Game Boy roms through Goomba. Basically, all you do is put the goomba.gba file in the root directory of the SD card, and when you choose a .gb file from the normal interface, it'll automatically run it through the emulator. It works great with old black & white games, but I couldn't get it to do Color games for some reason.

As for "big" games, the M3 Perfect (if I remember correctly) has 32MB of room for loading roms, which was as large as GBA games ever got. Some of the older flash cards might not have had this much, but as long as you get one of the later models, I imagine you'd be fine.

Finding specific GBA flash cards isn't so easy these days though. No one really manufactures them anymore, so aside from old stock, your only option might be eBay.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got 2 flash carts, but one doesn't save anymore. The EZ-III I think? 256 model. When that crapped out, I got an EZ-IV. It works great so far. I also have a GB movie player floating around somewhere...

Sadly, no GB Player to test them on.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I have an M3 Perfect, and it has built in functionality for playing Game Boy roms through Goomba. Basically, all you do is put the goomba.gba file in the root directory of the SD card, and when you choose a .gb file from the normal interface, it'll automatically run it through the emulator. It works great with old black & white games, but I couldn't get it to do Color games for some reason.
    If it's the original goomba.gba from the original Goomba emulator, it won't play GBC games. There is Goomba Color which IIRC wasn't designed by anyone involved with the original Goomba folks but it handles most GBC roms quite well. Obviously lots of code was 'borrowed from Goomba, including the entire Windows GUI and GB interface, and some of the original Goomba features (like save state/load state) still show up in the menus but aren't programmed and therefore don't work.

My M3 (Lite I think) just started acting up a few weeks ago, with random graphical glitches and freezing, and even wiped out my saves with one of the freeze-ups. I wanted the Supercard but it's been out of stock on DealExtreme for awhile and I refused to pay the $60-70 that other websites are charging, so I ordered an EZFlash IV for about $20. Should have it next week hopefully.