Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis game freezing? is it a sign of a bad game or bad system?

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for the information. That's more info than we had previously.
    Did you try the suggestion of cleaning the system contacts as well? It seems like the problem lies with the system contacts, considering that it works with your Model 2 and Nomad.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes i tried cleaning the console by soaking a games contacts with rubbing alcohol and putting it in and out. though i only tried it once after that in the genesis and it froze, i tried taking the system out of where i have it
    its like this crudely made ascii art the ...'s are empty space
    ..........TV...................
    ______Stand_________
    .............W .SNES...NES
    .............I ..Cable___Box
    [genesis] I DVD/VCR Combo
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Wait, did you insert the game when it was still wet?

I've never heard of a Genesis overheating, especially a Model 1 system. I've played systems before for hours on carpet or on my bed covers with no problems. If other games don't have problems with that console I doubt it's overheating.

Buy a cleaning kit to clean the cart slot.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Kit-S.../dp/B000035XQ9

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had a Genesis overheat either, but I've seen it happen...of course, I run my Genesis1 on a carpet full of dust and cat hair (6 cats) and I've never had a problem besides dirty carts/dust in the cart slot. Overheating would occur with all carts, not just 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i inserted and took the game out when it was still wet yes, but i didnt let it dry.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    i inserted and took the game out when it was still wet yes, but i didnt let it dry.

Man, you need to go.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm sure people have facepalm pics at the ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

taking the game in and out when its wet is supposed to clean the system is it not? and about not letting it dry i let it sit for like 5 minutes? or are you giving me shit over something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...I can't help but reflecting back to Family Guy in this instance:
    "Do you ever have that... 'no-so-clean' feeling...down there?"

I don't really have anything to add, sorry. I just had to put that out there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I have a Christmas wish, can anything posted by Urzu be automaticaly barred from public viewing?

<---Pray's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked Santa to evaluate your wish, but Santa's only allowed to view and post in Off-Topic. You'll have to ask him there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

taking the game in and out when its wet is supposed to clean the system is it not? and about not letting it dry i let it sit for like 5 minutes? or are you giving me shit over something else.
    Noooooo!!

You're only supposed to use a liquid to clean the cartridge contacts, never for system contacts. Even with actual cleaning kits made by any company it says this on the packaging, for any system it's always the same thing. Since you don't have a cleaning kit use a clean dry cart, and try to clean it again.

After cleaning a cart, always make sure it's completely dry before putting it in a system. Try to dry it with a dry Qtip, don't just let it air dry while it's soaking wet. After you dry it with a Qtip, then wait a bit to make sure it's fully dry.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's nothing wrong with putting rubbing alcohol on the system contacts. Just let it dry before you turn it on. 5 minutes is probably enough for alcohol.
    I washed the entire motherboard in water at one point. You won't damage anything as long as it's not powered. (if you try this, let it dry for at least a couple days or so).

I'd still say dirty contacts are the primary suspect. I'm not sure the best way to clean it. I've heard of people using a credit card with some cloth wrapped around it, but I've never tried that. I have used a toothbrush to scrub alcohol on the connector, but that obviously doesn't get into it very deep. The official cleaning cartridge will work but they cost money and get dirtied up quickly.

My model-1 has had these type of lockup problems for most of it's life. In my case I think I've narrowed it down to one of the little components next to the controller inputs. The slightest touch against that component will make it lock. I haven't tried replacing it yet.

Check for bad solder joints. I had an extremely bad solder joint under one of the video RAM chips on my machine. It didn't help my problem but it's definitely something to fix if you see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting devolpment, the game doesn't freeze when I use Game Genie. I made it to level 4 without it freezing (I was cheating of course, but thats not the point). Then I just got stuck in the game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's more indication it's the cart connector. The Game Genie must be getting better contact with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the Game Genie just to see if that would happen and it did (it not freezing). How can I possibly clean my console without damaging it, without a cleaning kit.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible that the Game Genie has a more snug fit than a Genesis game? Perhaps you need to gently bend the connector pins in the console to get a tighter fit.

As far as cleaning goes, take a clean dry game and repeatedly insert and remove it. If it gets dirty, clean the game, dry and repeat.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

WOW...............thread that should of been done within 4 posts max.

Ah well, CLEAN YOUR CARTRIDGE PORT!!!! MOVE ON.............

Here I Googled and found this, it's for ATARI 2600 but should apply to any cartridge based system:

You can try cleaning the contacts on your atari itself. Take a piece of 100 grain or finer sandpaper and cut off a square using scissors to fit the slot in the atari in the middle of the atari cartridge slot between the two prongs. Rub the edges and front of the sandpaper with your fingers to remove any loose grains of sand. Gently insert the sandpaper into the slot. Do not rub side to side, just in and out 4 or 5 times, then flip it over and do the contacts on the other side.

Maybe that will work, maybe you'll have to try something else, whatever just DO IT and stop posting in between about every little thing GEEZ.......
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

100 grit is pretty coarse, 320/400 is more like it but I wouldn't even use sandpaper unless there was corrosion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer quoting some other article View Post
    You can try cleaning the contacts on your atari itself. Take a piece of 100 grain or finer sandpaper and cut off a square using scissors to fit the slot in the atari in the middle of the atari cartridge slot between the two prongs. Rub the edges and front of the sandpaper with your fingers to remove any loose grains of sand. Gently insert the sandpaper into the slot. Do not rub side to side, just in and out 4 or 5 times, then flip it over and do the contacts on the other side.
    Teehee, someone doesn't know how sandpaper works. 100 grit would take all the traces right off of the board. Honestly I've never even come close to using sand paper on a game or system, as vigorous rubbing-alcohol-ing and q-tipp-ing does the trick most of the time; the worst problems have been solved by a toothbrush or paper towel.

Toothbrushes can sometimes be used to clean out the connectors, though usually you have to take the system apart to get to the connector to use it. In the past I have used a toothbrush dipped in rubbing alcohol, which I use to vigorously scrub the pins. After that, I simply blow out the left over alcohol with compressed air, and let it dry for awhile. It hasn't failed me yet, and has brought a couple of NES's back from the blinkies.

On the one time that a toothbrush didn't do a good enough job (I think that it might have been on one of my Genesii), I used a paper towel and plastic keycard. I had a hotel keycard, which is thinner than the circuit board that most games are printed on. I folded a paper towel over it, wet it with alcohol, and inserted and removed it a few times. After that I did the same thing, although with dry paper towels, and repeated until the dry towels stayed clean. Make sure that the card and towel when put together are still thinner than a cart pcb though, or the towel will tear quickly, or you might even bend some pins.

If that doesn't do the trick than you probably have to bend pins into place, which I have never done before, so I'm not going to write about how to do it.

Finally, if you eventually decide that the corrosion on the pins is bad enough that they need to be sanded, try to find some very fine sandpaper, like 400 grit and up. Any lower than that and you're just cutting grooves into the pins, not removing corrosion.