Thread: Twin Famicom Disk System Help

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Twin Famicom Disk System Help

Alright, so I got a Twin Famicom and 8 games. When I first had it two worked and the rest didn't, so after reading about I figured it was probably the belt. After following a tutorial and having bought a belt online I cleaning out the old one and got this new one.

This still led to the same problem. I then used a head adjustment tutorial from jfgoods and this got all the other games working but now the original two that did do not

After reading some pretty old threads this sounded kinda promising:

Well folks, I fixed about 3 dead drives already. I replaced the belts and I had to adjust the motor and the head to get them working. There is actually a method that works to perform this.

1. Change the belt. I also used JF Good's belt.
    2. Tune the motor all the way down! I believe it is counter clockwise (just look for the negative sign on the motor and adjust that direction). This is the real trick! All three drives I had to adjust the motor to run slower.
    3. Now adjust the heads.

So, the errors really tell you what's going on.

a. When you turn the head adjustment screw, the trick is to get it right at the beginning of the disk track. So, if you see an Error 21 "Disk Header block (NINTENDO-HVC*) part is wrong", 22, "Disk Header Block Recognition isn't read and can't be ignored", this means that you are "BEFORE" the beginning of the header track. You need to adjust the head forward until you finally read the disk. This takes time. You basically have to keep loading a disk until you see the FDS game boots up. It is a great feeling when you see it!

b. If you adjust the head forward too much, you get a Disk Error 27, "Block end mark seen and ends prematurely". Or even Error 28, 29. Turn it back to the beginning until you get the error 21,22s.

I have been using this methodology for 3 FDS and I fix them everytime if the belt, motor adjustment, and alignment are the problem. If you have any electronics problems then you are SOL.

So, I have given everyone the secrets to adjustment and it really is not a secret anymore!

If you have a broken drive and you need it fixed, PM me. I can probably take a look at it. Anyway just PM me.

Good Luck and let me know if my methodology works for you.

-CFB

So any advice to what I should do now? Or does anyone know what he means by "The head" in this description and how do I move it forward? I'm pretty determined to get this thing working but I don't really understand what's going on in this tutorial.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Sent you over the old FJGOODS.NET repair docs, they've worked well for me on a few units that have had disk read errors (it did WONDERS for my personal unit, games load in less than 3 seconds) and not on others - though there are some FDS owners that feel that in addition to re-setting the disk head that making other adjustments are necessary, such as the drive speed which is detailed in the data you posted.

My advice would be, in addition to making the descibed adjustments - BE CAREFUL when removing the disk tray springs they can SHOOT across the room never to be found again. Seriously.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you're getting error messages? What does it mean if I don't even get an error message?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    So you're getting error messages? What does it mean if I don't even get an error message?
    Probably one electronic part of the disk system isn't "talking" to another part or not doing it correctly ... one of the dreaded electronic/electircal problems that FDS fixers usually shy away from or wind up scratching their heads over.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Probably one electronic part of the disk system isn't "talking" to another part or not doing it correctly ... one of the dreaded electronic/electircal problems that FDS fixers usually shy away from or wind up scratching their heads over.
    That's what I was afraid of. The guy who sold me this thing is going to get an earfull from me.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used a micrometer to get exact readings of how to adjust the head. If anyone wants the doc I made, send a PM.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems I've found the sweet spot as I have gotten a game to start once, but after ejecting and trying it again (or any other game) I get errors ranging from 28,27,24, or 22. All without moving the disk and only reseting. Any suggestions? I have the motor set to what I assume to be the lowest speed.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The motor speed can be adjusted, and mostly just a preference, but there is a range that it works in that is somewhat small. I use the program Copy Master to set the speed, but you need a game doctor (I use a TGD6, but many will do) to start the program I have the image I dumped of it, if anyone needs it. It allows setting of the motor speed from 1 to 10, iirc.

The drive head tuning is much more important than the motor speed, and I usually leave the motor speed at 5.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!