Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Retrogamer #70 available in the U.S. yet?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Retrogamer #70 available in the U.S. yet?

Guys, I hardly ever start discussion threads these days anymore, but I'm wondering if anybody has seen Retrogamer #70 (the one with Monkey Island on the cover) at Barnes & Noble in the States yet. When I went to Barnes & Noble, they had no idea what the heck I was talking about, even though I bought #69 there last month. Sadly, it's the only thing I really want for Christmas this year. Please help! Thanks.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nope. My local Barnes & Noble just got #69 two weeks ago. #70 should be coming in by January 2nd.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Bojay. The people at Barnes & Noble were absolutely clueless about what the heck I was talking about. I suppose I can wait until the first of the year.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been checking every few days at my local B&N since I pass by every day anyway. They should have had #70 by now... the last #69 was sold/pulled last week but there was still an empty space yesterday. Maybe the issue was late or their shipment was delayed?

I'll be checking again before Friday and I'll post here if it comes in.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
    I've been checking every few days at my local B&N since I pass by every day anyway. They should have had #70 by now... the last #69 was sold/pulled last week but there was still an empty space yesterday. Maybe the issue was late or their shipment was delayed?

I'll be checking again before Friday and I'll post here if it comes in.
    It must vary by location then. I suspect Barnes and Noble uses an outside magazine vendor and maybe it varies by region since my local store always gets the new issue the last week of the month (i.e. over a month after it is released in the UK). I've actually seen it being stocked on one occasion (along with lots of other magazines) but I didn't think to ask the guy filling the racks who he worked for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm looking at issue 70 now, did you need any info from it?

There is a story on Playsega. After reading it, I immediately got a subscription to Playsega and got my Saturn USB pads

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered mine from their online store as I usually do since I just cherry pick what issues interest me.. There seemed to be an unusual shipping delay compared to most issues I've ordered from them.

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I'm looking at issue 70 now, did you need any info from it?

There is a story on Playsega. After reading it, I immediately got a subscription to Playsega and got my Saturn USB pads
    Hey I've been thinking about doing the Playsega think (yah, mostly for the Saturn pad :P).. So does issue 70 have some kind of promo code in it? Should I wait to receive mine or just go ahead and get my Playsega order completed now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    Hey I've been thinking about doing the Playsega thin[g] (yah, mostly for the Saturn pad :P)
    Yeah the service is pretty hit or miss so far. If you do it, it should only be for the USB Saturn pad. The emulation is fine for the Genesis games, but the selection is pretty basic, and Iv'e had a few web browser issues while on the site. I'm sure it will improve greatly, but be warned you're buying a USB Saturn pad and getting access to some web based Genesis games.

So does issue 70 have some kind of promo code in it? Should I wait to receive mine or just go ahead and get my Playsega order completed now?
    No promo code, RG just has a story about it. I didn't know that it existed until I read about it in RG. But if you use "segafans" as your promo code, you'll get 15% off.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So which package did you go with then? I'm thinking about the 3 month but it says I'll have to pay for shipping on the controller.. Do you know what the shipping cost on that would be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what the shipping cost would be. I got the one year plan with the free shipping. I then bought a second pad. If I could do it again, I'd get a 3 month plan, get a free pad, cancel my membership 3 months later, then get my wife to get a 3 month membership. I think that would be cheaper than the way I did it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So which package did you go with then? I'm thinking about the 3 month but it says I'll have to pay for shipping on the controller.. Do you know what the shipping cost on that would be?
    The shipping is $4.95, so it's basically $20 for the controller. You can actually just buy the controller from Segaplay for $12.95 plus shipping, so unless you really want what comes with the premium subscription (I think it's leaderboards and a few other tracking features), you might just want to buy the controller since the games are all pretty much free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    ...so unless you really want what comes with the premium subscription (I think it's leaderboards and a few other tracking features), you might just want to buy the controller since the games are all pretty much free.
    Actually most of the Genesis games are VIP.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went ahead and did the 3 month plan, thanks for the heads up on the segafans 15% promo code. ~$17 for the controller isn't so bad. Well, assuming the build quality matches that of the original Saturn pads. I don't like the colors much but it ironically reminds me of my ooold Gravis PC gamepads that used white/purple color schemes as well.

Getting some months of the service is icing on the cake. I'll check it out once my controller gets here since I don't currently have any USB pad.

So yeah.. Great Retro Gamer topic here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, here's an update: a family member was able to get me a copy of #70 in another part of Virginia at a B. Dalton store that was shutting down, and they're going to mail it to me. Merry Christmas to me! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I found issue 70 of Retro Gamer a few days ago, after checking three different Barnes & Noble locations. It seems to be a real pain in the butt to find a B&N store that carries Retro Gamer, they'll have it one month and then go two without a new copy. It seems like in their newer stores they've shrunk down their magazine selections. The one I went to is an older store with a huge mag area. I also picked up the Retro Gamer Videogames Hardware Handbook. Sure, it's another compilation, just of the console retrospectives, but I like having all that info in one place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though this always leads to a fight, I'm gonna recommend that you guys subscribe to the magazine. I'm not sure how the cost compares to newstand, but you get it quickly and reliably.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grabbed issue #70 and the Videogames Hardware Handbook today at my local B&N.

I think the subscription price is a little cheaper than buying at B&N, even with the 10% off B&N card. But, I'm a little obsessive about the condition. I drive by B&N every day so if I stop in soon after it hits the shelves I can pick the best condition issue from their 3 or 4 copies. The delay to US doesn't bother me because there's not much time sensitive content anyway.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got #70 and Hardware Handbook myself today as well at B&N. Good stuff...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a subscription and got issue 71 (After Burner) on Friday in the mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I've got a subscription and got issue 71 (After Burner) on Friday in the mail.
    Did 70 or 71 have a review (or some kind of mention) of my book? I can't find either issue in any store near my house.