Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else here stockpiling CRT televisions ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is anyone else here stockpiling CRT televisions ?

IMO, there is nothing like playing classic gaming systems on a nice, high end CRT television. It's great because people are GIVING these things away. Last month, I grabbed a 36" Sony Trinitron for $75. This TV went for $2,500 in the stores. It is a BEAST and almost killed me getting it home, but it was well worth it. It's like brand new and came with the original stand.

Last week I got a 32" Toshiba from a coworker for free.

Then tonight I got a 27" Sony Trinitron for $25 off CL. Great condition, I have Ninja Spirit running on it in attract mode as we speak.

This might become a problem though. My girlfriend is already giving me funny looks like I'm crazy.
    Last edited by stargate; 12-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got one of those 36" Sony's and it's the heaviest thing I've ever tried to move. I've moved a Gauntlet arcade machine that I think weighed less than that television.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    I've got one of those 36" Sony's and it's the heaviest thing I've ever tried to move. I've moved a Gauntlet arcade machine that I think weighed less than that television.
    Dude, no lie, it almost killed me. It was the heaviest and most awkward thing I have ever moved in my life. My buddy and I literally had to build a ramp down my hatchway and lower it into my basement. Every time I look at it, I think, "how the hell did we ever move this thing". It has to way about 275 pounds.

Having said this, CV: Rondo of Blood has never looked better !

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do wish I could find a really nice one in a wood cabinet (you know the type that sit on the floor), but that would be purely for nostalgic reasons.

I'm hopeful that eventually a nice HD set is going to come around that has awesome upscaling built in.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got 4!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have a 36inch sony, coworker gave it to me about a month ago, all i could think of was playing my Nes and atari on it. i got a small 13 incher and a very old Sears tv. The Sony was heavy as all heck, luckley i had a small moving cart. I would like to have a few more and have seen some on CL down here, but i dont have anyplace to put them for storage incase my old one craps out on me. games just dont look as good on an LCD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

I got 14, but the biggest one is only a 27". Mostly old 19"ers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a MITSUBISHI 42" tube TV from 1989 I've already had moved into my game room as my main classic TV.

It's easily the heaviest technology item I've ever seen. It's my parents old TV. it has left/right swivel buttons on the remote and has it's own subwoofer. I wasn't there when the movers moved the thing but I heard that it was an effort well beyond the other large items moved (a grandfather clock, several large glass cases.)

Great S-video picture and great sound. Plus, it was the same TV I played early SNES games on.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my friends neighborhood if you get up early on trash day and stalk the streets you can find one or two good tvs. Usually they are nice older TV that still work, just missing the remote or the family got a newer one for whatever reason. I have a friend with a gigantic plasma that just barely fits in his room and consumes most of his wall. I got it free because some guys gf threw a fit or something and there is now a crack in the top right corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I moved into my house the only thing besides some old furniture that was left behind were the old CRT TVs. there is a 25" and a 19" in the house and a little portable TV in one of the sheds.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    I've got a MITSUBISHI 42" tube TV from 1989 I've already had moved into my game room as my main classic TV.

It's easily the heaviest technology item I've ever seen. It's my parents old TV. it has left/right swivel buttons on the remote and has it's own subwoofer. I wasn't there when the movers moved the thing but I heard that it was an effort well beyond the other large items moved (a grandfather clock, several large glass cases.)

Great S-video picture and great sound. Plus, it was the same TV I played early SNES games on.
    I can't even imagine what that monstrosity would look like.

I think from now on I am sticking with 27" CRT's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

I got 27 inch panasonic crt flat does have 1s-video . 1component 480i . 2 composite for $75 in craigslist

free 20 inch zenith 1 composite mono audio perfect for nes

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I thought about keeping spare CRT TVs since they're going to be hard to find in the future but I just don't have the space to hoard them all. I have a few already, but nothing too huge. The largest is 19". Even thrift stores around me don't sell them anymore, I was told they trash any that get donated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I thought about keeping spare CRT TVs since they're going to be hard to find in the future but I just don't have the space to hoard them all. I have a few already, but nothing too huge. The largest is 19". Even thrift stores around me don't sell them anymore, I was told they trash any that get donated.
    Craigslist has so many of them for cheap cheap cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 29" Trinitron with a subwoofer which is my current set and a 34" Trinitron in storage. Both have component inputs (480i) and S-Video.

I'm on the lookout for anything above 32". I would love to get a 36" and a 16:9 CRT.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    Craigslist has so many of them for cheap cheap cheap.
    For now they do, but maybe not 10 years from now. I see plenty of CRTs thrown out every garbage day, eventually they'll be gone. Maybe the flatscreen CRTs will still be around, but most of the standard ones won't be available too easily.

I'm also well aware that there are still working sets from the 50's still out there, but they're not exactly easy to find and they may not be working that well. Just thought I'd mention that, I felt someone would point it out as a counterargument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a 27" JVC I'Art CRT that I bought new, and a 32" Sony that I got from a buddy that was barely used for $200 a couple years ago. Those two TVs should outlast most of the rest of my electronics by a few decades
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one Samsung 27" CRT tube TV that resides in the bedroom currently, which I'll keep until it dies as I've always really liked its picture. It will end up in my game room someday.

I have a pretty nice middle of the road solution currently in my game room. It's a 47" HD CRT Projection TV from 2003. Unlike older projections, this thing has a nice bright picture and a solid viewing angle (I hate older dim and blurry CRT projections). And, being a CRT television, it doesn't have a native resolution like an LCD TV does, which is partly why the scaling looks so awful on LCD's. The picture is bigger and sharper for older games than the TV's I had as a kid, but it still has the classic CRT look about it. As a bonus, my 360 in 1080i looks great on it too.

The only downside is the potential for burn-in, but I've been using it for almost 50% gaming since I bought it new and have never had an issue. I've accidentally left static pictures on it for many hours and had no burn-in. As long as you take the TV out of "torch mode" it has a pretty high resistance to burn-in.
    Last edited by cityside75; 12-15-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post

I'd love to see a picture of this TV!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got my Commodore monitor stored safely in the basement and a Samsung 27" 4:3 HD CRT television in my game room. Picture on that Sammy looks awesome.