Thread: Free Gameboy Player with purchase of a Gamecube

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Free Gameboy Player with purchase of a Gamecube

Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a question:

Does this device override the GC BIOS once plugged in or does it require a disc to be in the GC to boot the player? I ask because I think I know where I can get a GC with laser issues real cheap (possibly free). Since I have no desire to play GC games I wouldn't get it fixed, but I would love to have one just to play GBA carts.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Set up couldn't be simpler. The Game Boy Player fits snugly to the bottom of the GCN, adding just one inch in height. Pop the Game Boy Player system disk into the GCN and attach the Game Boy Player to the bottom via the High-Speed Port Connector. Don't worry if you have a GCN Modem or Broadband adapter, they'll work too--you can plug them in and still attach the GBP.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    Here's a question:

Does this device override the GC BIOS once plugged in or does it require a disc to be in the GC to boot the player? I ask because I think I know where I can get a GC with laser issues real cheap (possibly free). Since I have no desire to play GC games I wouldn't get it fixed, but I would love to have one just to play GBA carts.
    It requires a disc, or at least the import did and I can't imagine they would change it. This would be a neat device if emulators and TV-out videocards had not already done the same thing better.

But you need a working GC anyways - need something to play Ikaruga and Unity on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

The import one does, but I remember hearing a few months ago that they were trying to take it out, so the US one doesn't need it. I haven't seen any more reports on it, and I specifically asked the Nintendo rep the other day if it was or wasn't being included. She didn't know at the time, all she could tell me was that the eReader worked with it. :/

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does this play all versions of GB games, or just GBA games? For that matter, are all GBs backwards compatible? I'm new to Gameboys.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I have a Game Boy Player on pre-order and can hardly wait.

Yes, this is susposed to play ALL Game Boy games -- including the GBA ones. You'll have the option to 'strecth' them full screen or play them inside of a little border. There's some other options and what not included, but I can't recall what they are right now.

A Game Boy Color will play any game boy game that was made for the original, pocket, or color. A Game Boy Advance will play all of those games also, and is required if you want to play GBA games. The GBA SP, by the way, will also still work with the e-reader and most other toys out there.

I'll still use my GBA SP for when I'm on the road, but there are several GBA games I love enough that I'll play on my 27 inch 'console' TV in the living room (Golden Sun 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance when it comes out come to mind, along with Zelda III and Metroid Fusion).

Oh -- no desire to play GC games???? Heathen! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Atleast for the import one there's a "hot swap" option which is very nice. You don't have to power down the console to change games, all you do it go to the option on the GB Player screen and opt to change cartridges.

Yes, it does play all GB games. Course, not Kirby's Tilt N Tumble. I'm not sure about the rumble carts though. I'd assume they would, but you'll have to move your console to the edge of the shelf to allow for the "lip" to hang over.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Kirby's Tilt & Tumble might not be the only game it can't play. I've heard about backwards compatibility problems existing for other games for whatever reason, but I couldn't tell you what the games are unfortunately. Most likely whatever you've got is gonna play though.

This might sound silly, but when they say "Compatible With eReader" are they saying we can play eReader games via the Player or just that, if the GBA game uses the eReader at all, that it'll work? I can't wait to try "Manhole" on my 27" screen...

(More importantly, how did Nintendo get me to buy all these peripherals already? eReader, GBA to GC cable, *this* when it comes out - I've never bothered before...)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    This might sound silly, but when they say "Compatible With eReader" are they saying we can play eReader games via the Player or just that, if the GBA game uses the eReader at all, that it'll work? I can't wait to try "Manhole" on my 27" screen...
    It sounds more confusing than anything. I don't think GBA games themselves use the eReader (unless you mean the GCN?) If you meant GCN then no, because the GB Player has it's own program and atleast with the Japanese one, the games (like Animal Crossing) doesn't recognize you have it on there. I think the rep. meant you could plug in the eReader and swipe the cards via the GB Player. If you really want to know, I can check for you tonight.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    It sounds more confusing than anything. I don't think GBA games themselves use the eReader (unless you mean the GCN?) If you meant GCN then no, because the GB Player has it's own program and atleast with the Japanese one, the games (like Animal Crossing) doesn't recognize you have it on there. I think the rep. meant you could plug in the eReader and swipe the cards via the GB Player. If you really want to know, I can check for you tonight.
    I think I confused myself too. Hopefully this is simpler: can I play eReader games through the GB Player? Is that what they meant?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I think so.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, what AREN'T they giving away with GameCubes these days?
    (free Italian sports car with every purchase!)
    (free island off the coast of Japan with every purchase!)
    (free sexual favor from Princess Toadstool with every purchase! Or Mario, if you swing that way)

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org