Thread: Software to manage collection.

Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Software to manage collection.

Hey everybody.
    I was talking to a friend today, saying that I bought a game and then I found out that I already had that game in my collection. The problem: I didn't manage my collection untill now. So he said about a software that can manage his Blu-Ray collection and that they had a version for game collection.
    It's called Game Collector, by Collectorz.com
    Here's the link: http://www.collectorz.com/game/
    I downloaded the trial version but I don't have a barcode reader. I tried to add a game manually but my stupid internet connection won't let it connect to the database.
    So, my question is: does anyone here use this? Is it worth the price?
    From what I've seen, it would fit perfectly what I need.

Thanks!
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am pretty envious of what they use. I wrote my own web based one that is in my sig that I use. I am working on updating it, but that software is pretty awesome. I have no heard bad things from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't usually care about other people knowing what I own, but for everything else there's the OpenOffice Calc software. Just a regular spreadsheet. Before that Notepad works.

My biggest problem with all collecting software is that if you're interested in games being as complete as they were at retail you basically need the software to have every last component mentioned in a field to check off. Japanese Saturn games should have spine cards; some games should have extras mentioned where applicable. There's also condition to worry about; a simple checkmark isn't good enough for managing multiples. Honestly, I just keep it all in my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a person who wrote a chunk of software and actively makes freelance software like this for people, the one thing that makes it complicated is being able to automate every single extra item for each system. I did the easy way out with an extra comments section for the games, and I am assuming most other software does the same

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I tried using it. (The Collectorz software, I mean.) I went back to Google Docs after an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I tried using it. (The Collectorz software, I mean.) I went back to Google Docs after an hour.
    Be helpful and list the things you didn't like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    As a person who wrote a chunk of software and actively makes freelance software like this for people, the one thing that makes it complicated is being able to automate every single extra item for each system. I did the easy way out with an extra comments section for the games, and I am assuming most other software does the same
    As I tried to suggest in my post, there's really no other way of doing it unless you know exactly what came for each game, since it varies from game to game even on the same system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

My only complain is the database takes forever to update. Sometimes they don't even bother to update. I had issue with IGN collection list and several other website. Spreadsheet like Excel is the best way to manage your software. It allows you to have total control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    As I tried to suggest in my post, there's really no other way of doing it unless you know exactly what came for each game, since it varies from game to game even on the same system.
    Trust me, you are not alone in wanting something awesome like that. I tried out seriously about 15 ideas to try and do it and none of it worked out.

The only way to really pull it off is to either have a full on dynamic application (very possible, but very shitty to code) or have it connect to some massive database that has that information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by [-Sentinel-] View Post
    Be helpful and list the things you didn't like.
    The interface was incredibly clumsy, and it took too long to load anything. A text list in Excel or Google Docs works just as well and isn't that much trouble to set up.

SegaAges' one is good too. Simple and to the point. Not the kind of stuff I need, but I liked what I saw. I tried using RFGeneration's website too and it's pretty decent.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The interface was incredibly clumsy, and it took too long to load anything. A text list in Excel or Google Docs works just as well and isn't that much trouble to set up.

SegaAges' one is good too. Simple and to the point. Not the kind of stuff I need, but I liked what I saw. I tried using RFGeneration's website too and it's pretty decent.
    What I liked on this software is that you can get a full description on the game and list your games only by the barcode. Sounds much easier.
    But I'm starting to think that the Excel file would be good enough...
    Geez...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by [-Sentinel-] View Post
    What I liked on this software is that you can get a full description on the game and list your games only by the barcode.
    Sometimes a barcode isn't enough. There's game variants that use the same UPC code, even first prints of games which have different cover artwork and contents. And what happens when the site has no idea what the game is supposed to be? Or when the UPC is incorrect?

That program has its use, but it's not for me. I prefer something that lets me input whatever I want and not have to deal with someone's possibly inaccurate database which rarely gets updated (as other people have mentioned here).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes a barcode isn't enough. There's game variants that use the same UPC code, even first prints of games which have different cover artwork and contents. And what happens when the site has no idea what the game is supposed to be? Or when the UPC is incorrect?

That program has its use, but it's not for me. I prefer something that lets me input whatever I want and not have to deal with someone's possibly inaccurate database which rarely gets updated (as other people have mentioned here).
    You can add it manually. Adding by the barcode isn't the only option. And you can edit informations on the games added through barcode (you can even edit the pic, adding, for example, a photo of your game).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

You can edit any information in your database after you download it, and upload revisions too I believe. But yeah, sometimes it's a pain in the ass to add a game and have to start editing stuff for it right off the bat.

If anyone is interested, till December 31st the program is 50% off
    http://collectorz.com/game2009

[-Sentinel-], I've been using the program for quite some time and really enjoy it. I like having control over every last detail for every game. Only problem is that you have to upload your collection to your own hosting service if you want to share it online, so I still use RFGen for that and my want list.
    Last edited by VACRMH; 12-18-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually strongly recommend GCStar.

it's available for Windows and Linux, at least, and I think Mac too. I use it to track my game collection. It can automatically grab info from lots of different databases, including MobyGames, Gamespot, and Amazon.

good stuff. Give it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    You can edit any information in your database after you download it, and upload revisions too I believe. But yeah, sometimes it's a pain in the ass to add a game and have to start editing stuff for it right off the bat.

If anyone is interested, till December 31st the program is 50% off
    http://collectorz.com/game2009

[-Sentinel-], I've been using the program for quite some time and really enjoy it. I like having control over every last detail for every game. Only problem is that you have to upload your collection to your own hosting service if you want to share it online, so I still use RFGen for that and my want list.
    I want to try the barcode scan tomorrow, but I might have a problem with my internet connection...
    What's this RFGen you are talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Trust me, you are not alone in wanting something awesome like that. I tried out seriously about 15 ideas to try and do it and none of it worked out.

The only way to really pull it off is to either have a full on dynamic application (very possible, but very shitty to code) or have it connect to some massive database that has that information.
    My point was that it's not really possible, so yeah, I'm not blaming you.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I just use Excel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Game Collectorz for $25? I've been waiting for a price reduction! $50 seemed a bit high, although the program IS worth it.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I used the Collectorz stuff for a good long while. I was able to edit fields to what I wanted and track stuff down to small details. I haven't used it in the past few months, but I'd love to go back and get everything in order again. It was a little clumsy at first, but became really easy to use after a little while.

Personally, I think it'd best to add everything in by hand with it rather than rely on their search engines. But I'm picky about my data.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.