Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Super FC16-Go Super Nintendo Portable Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    The screen is not super crisp (on original, I don't have r2 yet to compare it to), but I also don't think its as bad as some people let on. Remember this is a $60 item, not $160. 3.5" screen is pretty big for a $60 game system. I assume they did not use top quality to save on $$$ and possibly battery life as well.

IMO the screen was hardly the biggest problem with the system. There were other things that I thought were way more annoying.
    I agree. The screen is cool for what you are doing with it. The system is a cool little system for what it is. I'd pay $60.00 for one for sure. Not too sure about the first version though. Version 2 is quite nice though. Also, the reset button is just fine where it is as it is out of the way enough that you have to moev your hand away from the controls to get to it unlike the Start and Select buttons which can be reached with your thumb easily. Unless of course you have fingers the length of E.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    I agree. The screen is cool for what you are doing with it. The system is a cool little system for what it is. I'd pay $60.00 for one for sure. Not too sure about the first version though. Version 2 is quite nice though. Also, the reset button is just fine where it is as it is out of the way enough that you have to move your hand away from the controls to get to it unlike the Start and Select buttons which can be reached with your thumb easily. Unless of course you have fingers the length of E.T.
    I also agree. The screen has not been "the" issue with me. The D-pad has been my only major concern with the system. The screen has been a bit of nostalgia as I compare it with the old CRT TV screens. They weren't that sharp either. I have been going through a SNES revival playing the FC16-Go. The 90's are so much fun to live in. I never had a problem with the reset button location before, just the unpredictability of it. It would either shut the system down or reset. Glad they have fixed that. I am so happy that Yobo has listened to the gamers.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The screen was an issue with me. The d-pad was the bigger issue, but if they have fixed that, then there's no reason not to fix the screen in another revision. That said, I may go ahead and pick this revision up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickerous View Post
    The screen was an issue with me. The d-pad was the bigger issue, but if they have fixed that, then there's no reason not to fix the screen in another revision. That said, I may go ahead and pick this revision up.
    About the only thing I can say here is that the D-Pad isn't perfect as it feels like a SNES controller. Personally, I was never a SNES fan. Still, it works about as well so I am sure it is much better than the first one.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So where are all the reviews for the new revision?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two units that went out Wednesday to ReviewTechUSA and Gamster81 on Youtube.
    Last edited by StoneAgeGamer; 03-05-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. And overall, I think it's a decent upgrade.

What's been upgraded:

- Stereo! The console itself now sports two stereo speakers and has stereo/video out. It sounds crystal clear and can get loud without distortion.

- D-pad! The unit now has an SNES style directional pad. Definitely an improvement, though you have to use a good amount of pressure to get things moving. I think I remember this being the case with the first version, and it's just a matter of sort of breaking it in. Diagonals can be tricky, but again, I think this is just a matter of breaking the directional pad in.

- Build quality! In general this revision feels more solid all the way around. I'm not sure exactly what it is. Also, the top/display/cover now has this kind of translucent quality about it. It looks pretty cool and way less cheap than the original. The cartridge slot doesn't feel so mushy either.

Even though the sturdiness of the console seemed improved, my unit did come out of the box with a very slight crack on the hinge and one dead pixel. Nothing major at all, but just annoying. I've already contact Stone Age Gamer and will probably be sending this back for a replacement once the charcoal models are back in stock.

- Bigger L and R buttons! They are more than twice the size of the buttons on the original version and are definitely easier to use.

- Power switch on side! I'd consider this an upgrade, as you no long have to open the console to power it up when it's hooked up to the TV.

- Reset button actually resets! 'Nuff said!

Other than that I haven't tried any of the claimed "greater compatibility," as I was pretty content with the compatibility before (all my games worked great).

There were a couple of things that weren't perfect:

- The headphone jack has a lot of hiss - though, oddly, the sound and music are still very clear. It just sounds like someone is taking a shower next to you while you're playing.

- Overly-intense color saturation with video out. I had to adjust down the color on my TV as the video out seems to output a more intense color saturation. I especially noticed that white text and areas that should be flat white had a subtle rainbow like glow. I compared this to the version 1 I have and there was definitely a difference. This was almost completely remedied by adjusting the color down a little, so no biggie. I'd be inclined to say the video out quality is slightly more noisy (could this be from the stereo out?). Definitely not anything major, though.

- There are still tabs in an attempt of some type of region lock-out. These could probably be easily clipped or sanded down to enable Super Famicom carts to be played - but it's just annoying that the tabs are there in the first place. I mean, who is this protecting? The only thing I can think of is that these tabs help stabilize the cartridge, which could be true.

But all being said, I think if you liked the first version, this is a step up you definitely should consider. For about $60 I don't think you could beat this sort of value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAD PIXEL View Post
    Definitely an improvement, though you have to use a good amount of pressure to get things moving. I think I remember this being the case with the first version, and it's just a matter of sort of breaking it in.
    This may just be the deal breaker for me. That first dpad did need quite a bit of pressure to register and playing platformers was not very fun, in my opinion. I may still get it, but I'll wait until a special or discounted price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, the more I play around with this thing, the more I like it. Makes me wonder what is around the corner with other projects that may come from some of the other clone companies . . . I'd love a 2600 portable of this quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it true the onboard d-pad is easier to use after you've played with it a while? Or, was this a problem for you at all, T2K?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have heard it is, but I am not sure if its because of breaking it in or just because you get better at using it. IMO the d-pad isn't really any better than the original. I have no problem playing most games, but I have a hard time with fighters with the built-in d-pad.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why don't you use the wireless pad's instead of the embedded dpad?

@StoneAgeGamer: I bought an fc16go from you. I only use it as TVOut Device and play with the wireless controllers.

A new Device possible?
    But what i really want is an Device that is as small as the Fc16go, has Wireless support for up to 4 wireless Controllers and an highend TV-out (Component, Scart RGB, HDMI). Also support for SFC Carts (without mod) and support for Lockout Chips PAL/NTSC. (just because also with mod, i can't play most of my SFC carts, just because the pal lockout :-( which is really sad).

I don't need an LCD or an DPad.

ps: the snes powerpak works fine with fc16go rev.1 ...you can even save with the bad reset button by pressing the Power Button (hold down) and then the Reset Button. If you release the Reset Button the Console resets fine or you can save with your Powerpak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the wireless pad on my first edition fc go, but would like to use it as a portable instead of a laptop. I'll wait for another revision or a competitor's product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz2001 View Post
    Why don't you use the wireless pad's instead of the embedded dpad?

@StoneAgeGamer: I bought an fc16go from you. I only use it as TVOut Device and play with the wireless controllers.

A new Device possible?
    But what i really want is an Device that is as small as the Fc16go, has Wireless support for up to 4 wireless Controllers and an highend TV-out (Component, Scart RGB, HDMI). Also support for SFC Carts (without mod) and support for Lockout Chips PAL/NTSC. (just because also with mod, i can't play most of my SFC carts, just because the pal lockout :-( which is really sad).

I don't need an LCD or an DPad.

ps: the snes powerpak works fine with fc16go rev.1 ...you can even save with the bad reset button by pressing the Power Button (hold down) and then the Reset Button. If you release the Reset Button the Console resets fine or you can save with your Powerpak.
    I doubt there will be a clone that comes out with 4 wireless controller support. As for high-end TV-outs, I doubt you will see that either. It costs extra and 95% of customers are fine with just composite. There is just not enough demand for them to bother with it. I do know a company is working on a new clone that is to compete with the FC3 that does have some neat new features. I doubt it will be as small as an FC-16 though.

Remember, when you want a new clone with all these amazing features put yourself in a company's shoes. How much will it cost to develop? How much will it cost to sell? How many people will buy it for X dollars? If you start doing this you will begin to see why clones are often cheap Chinese products. its because a high quality clone would not sell. Same reason why you probably won't see a 32X clone or some other system that does not have a huge library. Its just not practical to mass produce such an item for such a niche market.
    Last edited by StoneAgeGamer; 03-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks all correct. But the things i mentioned are not that expensive.

+4 Controller Support (...you can sell the 2 other Controllers separately = more money)
    +Scart RGB TV-out (even the old SNES has this feature!)
    +SFC support MOD (thats very easy, you just don't need to add it)

-remove LCD (it gets cheeper)
    -remove DPAD and Controls (it gets cheeper)

So..where is the Problem? It's cheaper to produce and cheaper to sell. More people would buy it, just because the FC16go is even too big to take it with you. Therefore i use a Dingoo a320 ;-).

only optional:
    +Composite (or even higher qual. with HDMI)
    +Lockout chips PAL/NTSC incl. switch
    Last edited by Heinz2001; 03-25-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am just telling you from my experience. Scart RGB or HDMI is not a big selling point to the majority of people who buy clones.

Most people who buy clones are casual classic gamers or people who just want to play Super Mario again. Many hardcore classic gamers I have met do not like clones and some even loath them.

I agree with you on the SFC thing, I think its just stupid that Yobo does this. They do it on the FC Twin as well.

I would love to see the things you suggested and many more, but after dealing with these companies and these systems for 3 years now I can tell you its most likely not going to happen. Retro gaming stuff is not these companies primary business.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    I do know a company is working on a new clone that is to compete with the FC3 that does have some neat new features. I doubt it will be as small as an FC-16 though.
    I like the idea of an FC3 competitor, especially if it uses wireless controllers. However, the one thing I really do like about the RetroDuo is the S-Video output for SNES games. I think the only thing that might convince me to shelve my RetroDuo is if this new machine includes S-Video as well, so I hope that feature is included in this new machine.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Hmmm that revision is looking pretty awesome...but it still looks bulky. I really have no need for a TV out fuction at all seeing as how I own a real SNES. Maybe a competitor will make something similar without that function and it will be cheaper like say 40 bucks or something.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@StoneAgeGamer: Ok i understand :-(. I'm also a retro fan and i have an Snes but i also have an 47" lcd and i love the Wireless Controllers of the FC16go.

I hope some day we will have a real good clone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retro junkie View Post
    If there ever is a PCE clone, I'll be standing in line for one.
    I know I'm quoting this late, but... Holy geez, yes, especially if it has a region switch (but if not, I suppose I'd try to find a Japanese market model). PC Engines seem to cost so much, especially if you want output other than RF.

Otherwise, I'm not too excited about these clones.