Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on "modern" gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I consider myself a classic gamer and have some games on PS2 I love.

I recommend trying

Yakuza (and part 2)
    Puzzle Quest
    Klonoa 2
    Rez
    R Type Final

Check those out!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

me thinks Flack meant King? of the terds

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jisho23 View Post
    I seriously cannot tell if this post is trolling... or if I am now trolling.

<ahem>

Honestly, I have so much more hope for this current generation primarily for alternative sources of games (digital distribution sources like Steam, Xboxlive, etc.). Last generation was good, but it was really marked by these massive "blockbuster" games (your Halos, GTA's, etc.) which certainly narrowed the field of play. Most other games really fell to the wayside when compared to these behemoth releases. Thanks to a a growing community of independent developers as of late (and a vehicle to market them) I predict (and hope to see) a rise of cheaper but more creative and diverse games, which is something that has gradually been happening over the last couple of years.

Unfortunately, I can't have the same hope for gaming overall. I have a feeling this glut of "peripherals" are going to flood the market. Guitar Hero started it, Wii codified it, and now we are seeing it start to go bad...
    I do believe you maybe the one trolling here(I posted multiple other games, along with that thank you very much). Sadly it looks like the PS1 got most of the developer's better games, so the list of great games is rather short, most of the PS2 games are just new school smut, following the footsteps of Square.

NIS games kick ass, so I don't know what you are trying to point out.

Yea, but I have a feeling aside from a few gems(rather dowloaded or an actually produced game), handhelds will continue getting most of the better games.

peripherals are in of its self, a good thing, but omg not at the extent it has been or at these insane prices(Balance board is $100, a full set of GH stuff costs like $200), It's completely insane. Why would I pay that much just for peripherals, when you could get like 2-8 new games for the same price?
    Last edited by Zoltor; 12-20-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spells like terd, grammers like terd, text-stutters like terd. Mind the terd? Terd minded. I'll check back December twenty-terd. 'Til then, pls no step in terd. Unlis u feets git kowld. Thain terd warm them... Hmmm, nice terd.

Calm the Terd Min! I terded this terdy with a terd in my lap, for great terds!

Protip: It's worth 2k terds.

Terd, don't jive scooter, he terds biggerest than u. Al ur terds are belung to Oz.

The rest of you, stop listing parts of my PS2 collection. It's getting weird.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 12-20-2009 at 03:44 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Spells like terd, grammers like terd, text-stutters like terd. Mind the terd? Terd minded. I'll check back December twenty-terd. 'Til then, pls no step in terd. Unlis u feets git kowld. Thain terd warm them... Hmmm, nice terd.

Calm the Terd Min! I terded this terdy with a terd in my lap, for great terds!

Protip: It's worth 2k terds.

Terd, don't jive scooter, he terds biggerest than u. Al ur terds are belung to Oz.

The rest of you, stop listing parts of my PS2 collection. It's getting weird.
    That was quite bizarre...

I feel obligated to say that this is a candidate for post of the year.
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    This summer I bought a used PS2 and about 20 games I've enjoyed it at times and at other times questioned whether or not I'm just wasting time. I ask this question on this forum because I know their are many members here my age and I'd like to hear if you ever think about just concentraiting on the older classic consoles.

Some examples of my angst...
    I almost have an empty feeling when I complete game like GTA3 and see I've only really completed 50% of it and have to find 100 hidden packages or complete tedius side missions like the taxi mission.

I got into the CoD and Medal of Honor series. I'm almost starting to feel like once I've played one 1st person shooter you've played them all.

Lastly sports games. I got NFL 2k5 and you almost need to be a NFL coach to understand the playbook. Every positional player has so many different moves you really have to dedicate a lot of time just in learning how to control your players.

Anyone else ever feel like this? Or should I give the Ps2 some more time?
    Uh, just FYI, I don't think playing games more than 5 years old really counts as "modern gaming". =/

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    PS2 was the last on the consoles from the previous generation that I bought. First it was DC, then GCN, then XBOX, and those 3 remain my favorite, because even if they were less popular, I believe they had some rather remarkable games that stood out very well which were not available on other consoles.
    The PS2 had a huge number of exclusive games too, and many that helped define the medium to this day. Of course, whether or not that's a good thing is entirely subjective, but games like God of War, Devil May Cry, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 3, Yakuza, Frequency, SMT Nocturne, Gradius V, Persona 3 and 4, Dragon Quest 8, Virtua Fighter 4, Katamari Damacy, etc. etc etc. are totally worth checking out.

Also, XBOX gets points over PS2 in the sense that, whenever it had something the PS2 also had, it often did it better, even if that version was less popular (such as GTA, Shikigami no Shiro, and even more highly criticized games like Turok Evolution). However, most of my must-have exclusive PS2 games are imports such as Mushihime-sama, Espgaluda, and a remake of the original NiGHTs into Dreams, which is well done. Of course anyone can throw the whole "overrated" card around so I don't care if folks here disagree with me and I can respect their indifferences, but I think the DC, GCN and XBOX were more quality than quantity like PS2.
    Your opinion is totally valid, and I respect you for stating that it is in fact your opinion. Turok Evolution was balls, though: let's be clear on that.

The problem with alot of modern games IMHO is that they tend to become too vast, too complicated, and take themselves too seriously and lose their sense of fun, where it starts to become more of a chore. I find that's what turns me away from these games. I don't like how most modern gaming has taken that direction, and shouldn't be that way or else you're playing the wrong games.
    Meh. There are certain games where I agree with you completely. Then again, there are plenty of other games that draw me in WITH their complexity and depth. It all depends on what you're looking for. I've put five hundred hours into Street Fighter IV online this year, and an equal number into solitaire on my iPod. It just depends on mood, I guess.

There's nothing wrong with not being happy with the direction games have taken in the last two generations or so, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it either. It's all about how you feel. OP, I suggest checking out some of the PS2 games the fine folks of DP have suggested on your PS2, and if you still aren't feeling it, then that's fine: there are plenty of older games that still need attention.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    The PS2 had a huge number of exclusive games too, and many that helped define the medium to this day. Of course, whether or not that's a good thing is entirely subjective, but games like God of War, Devil May Cry, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 3, Yakuza, Frequency, SMT Nocturne, Gradius V, Persona 3 and 4, Dragon Quest 8, Virtua Fighter 4, Katamari Damacy, etc. etc etc. are totally worth checking out.

Your opinion is totally valid, and I respect you for stating that it is in fact your opinion. Turok Evolution was balls, though: let's be clear on that.

Meh. There are certain games where I agree with you completely. Then again, there are plenty of other games that draw me in WITH their complexity and depth. It all depends on what you're looking for. I've put five hundred hours into Street Fighter IV online this year, and an equal number into solitaire on my iPod. It just depends on mood, I guess.

There's nothing wrong with not being happy with the direction games have taken in the last two generations or so, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it either. It's all about how you feel. OP, I suggest checking out some of the PS2 games the fine folks of DP have suggested on your PS2, and if you still aren't feeling it, then that's fine: there are plenty of older games that still need attention.
    SF4 makes me so mad but I just can't leave it alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    SF4 makes me so mad but I just can't leave it alone.
    Game of the year for me. Crazy good!

Do you play on 360 or PS3? Add me and we'll get some matches in.

/digression

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game of the year for me. Crazy good!

/digression
    It is good, but the flaws that it does have REALLY seem to stand out.

I play on 360 and my gamertag is SplashChick.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've gotten rid of a PS3 and a Wii. I keep a 360 around but don't view it as my main system. I prefer to collect for, and play, an Xbox. I own 156 Xbox games and with a library of this size, the Xbox has an entire salad bar of gaming genres to play. It turned out to be a pretty good system after all, much to my surprise. Games are games. I dont think that you have to commit yourself to embracing or abandoning a generation of videogames. Keep your PS2 plugged in...alongside your Genny....and play what you feel at the moment. Don't pidgeonhole yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
    me thinks Flack meant King? of the terds
    I did, although in my defense, the king of the terds is kind of a terd.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

/digression
    How good have you gotten G-Boobie? I rarely jump on SF4 now so while I'm better than I was before, I still am not that great. I still can't pull off long combos like some people can. Someone I know is on that game all day long and can pull off stuff like those Hard Challenges regularly when fighting me.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    I do believe you maybe the one trolling here(I posted multiple other games, along with that thank you very much). Sadly it looks like the PS1 got most of the developer's better games, so the list of great games is rather short, most of the PS2 games are just new school smut, following the footsteps of Square.

NIS games kick ass, so I don't know what you are trying to point out.

Yea, but I have a feeling aside from a few gems(rather dowloaded or an actually produced game), handhelds will continue getting most of the better games.

peripherals are in of its self, a good thing, but omg not at the extent it has been or at these insane prices(Balance board is $100, a full set of GH stuff costs like $200), It's completely insane. Why would I pay that much just for peripherals, when you could get like 2-8 new games for the same price?
    Don't get me wrong, I like some of what NIS makes (I've put in a staggering amount of time into both Disgaeas) but saying everything they make (or publish at this point) is good...

My point being is that gaming is becoming dotted with these huge mega-games with massive marketing engines behind them. Last generation was the first time (I recall) that people began to directly compare the type of hype and money games make to the type of hype and money Hollywood makes. I'm ambivalent toward this approach... it does make gaming more popular which is not a bad thing, but to what expense? Last generation (in spite of many great games) will be most well known for Halo, GTA3, and WoW.

And these peripheral wars... its getting insane. All these developers trying make peripherals (or use existing peripherals like the Wii mote) to play games in "new ways." The fallout from DJ Hero and Tony Hawk is going to be big... I hope it catches on that you need a good game, not a good mechanic for playing. That was the real success behind Guitar Hero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not going to lie, I pretty much stopped reading the posts to ignore the troll. So forgive me if somebody has already mention some of this.

As for current games, if you do not enjoy those, I know for a fact there is something out there for you.

Me, I am mainly a 360 guy. I have just over 100 games. That does not make me an expert, but I can tell you stuff I like.

As for FPS games, imo, there seems to be a split between them now. There is the realistic ones, and the insane ones. The insane ones are games like Unreal Tournament, Gunz. Of course, for realistic, no need to even name them off.

If you are not finding fun games, it is not that you are playing crappy games, it is that you are probably trying to force yourself to play genres of games you might never like.

Trust me, I am still forcing myself to play shmups since I suck at them and get pushed away from the difficulty.

If you are not having fun playing what you have, find something else to play with. Some people collect and do not collect to play. You sound like a person wanting to collect to play. For you, do not just get games because they are on a deal or because they are getting good reviews. If you have a current game system, just download the demo to try out the game, and I can guarantee you will find tons of games you win really like.

Just stop forcing yourself to play the games you do not like. It will just frustrate you and make you not want to even touch the console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

So emo. PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEE~~~~~~~~~!
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*RUNS INTO THE FORUM THREAD*

Ohh! A trool thread!

*GETS OUT TOOLERY TROLLERY FUN SACK*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    How good have you gotten G-Boobie? I rarely jump on SF4 now so while I'm better than I was before, I still am not that great. I still can't pull off long combos like some people can. Someone I know is on that game all day long and can pull off stuff like those Hard Challenges regularly when fighting me.
    I'm not great, but I took thirteenth out of about fifty at Michigan Masters a couple weeks ago, and took fifth in Third Strike. I help run my local fighting game community which meets every Saturday and play online as much as I can. My execution is getting there, so some of the harder combos are fairly easy for me to nail in a tournament situation. It just takes practice and exposure.

So yeah. I'm good enough that I never embarrass myself, but I'll probably never hit top three. Work, girlfriend, school, etc. etc. etc. I'm in it for the fun, and if I can't have fun losing, then to hell with it.

/digression again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

If you're talking modern gaming as in consoles that are current, XBLA, PSN, and the VC are enough of a reason to stay in modern gaming. But the OP seems to already have his mind made up, so I don't think anything we can say will change it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This generation is very boring if you ask me.

- All first person shooter are better on the PC anyway, so no FPS for me in console
    - RTS are still king on PC, so same thing there
    - I love quirky games, so on 360 and PS3 I mainly play PSN and XBLA downloadables games (Geometry wars I and II, everyday shooter, bit trip, MegaMan 9 & 10, Castle Crashers, PixelJunk series, N+, Echochrome, these are awesome games)
    - The priority has been set for graphics over gameplay this generation.. as it show.. as most games are performing below 30 fps, and this is just completely ridiculous. Guys, when you make a game, put AT LEAST 30 fps as the benchmark, any extra eye candy that make it dip below that, well.. REMOVE THAT EXTRA EYE CANDY DAMN IT... it does NOT make the game any better.. it make it worse!
    - There was still gems out there, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's soul, Forza 2 & 3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, but most of the other game are mostly multi-platform trash, and these almost always end up on PC and way better on that platform anyway

- The Wii is different, as I find that it has more games that I do care about. All of these games are unique and are not port or whatever (most first party games and some third party, the rest is garbage though)
    From the Alpha... to the Omega