Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are there any sega genesis games that are able to system link?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default are there any sega genesis games that are able to system link?

I was talking with a good friend yesterday, and he swore that there was a game on the Sega Genesis that could be system linked via 2nd Controller port or via Model 1 ext port. Does anyone know of any games that had this ability programmed into them? I am not talking about anything to do with the Modem cart. I cant think of any game that utilized this feature.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Zero Tolerance had this feature, it hooked up two consoles through the 2nd controller port. I'm pretty sure it was the only game to do this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Zero Tolerance had this feature, it hooked up two consoles through the 2nd controller port. I'm pretty sure it was the only game to do this.
    I do believe that is the game. My buddy was wanting to come up to my house and see this game linked up. Does is take a special cable to link the systems together? Is there a website or link to more info about this? I would love to be able show this feature. Any further info would be most welcome.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You do need a special cable that plugs into both controller ports. You'll also need 2 copies of the game and both consoles hooked up to separate TVs, which might be a pain to do. I wish you good luck with it because it would be cool to see all hooked up.

There's more info at the bottom of this page;
    http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page....pheral%20Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty cool, I had no idea that the Genesis could do that!

I guess that this means that the Genesis can send and receive data through its controller ports? Was this common with controller ports around that time? I though that the basic scheme for a controller port was a +V, ground, and several signal lines?

Either way, has anyone done this, and is it worth tracking down a couple of copies of the game to try it out? I have two Genesii, and I could probably whip together the cable pretty quickly. It's probably in a crossover cable sort of configuration, else each system would need to be assigned an ID by the players.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.technopop.net/ homepage for the company that made Zero Tolerance. They have a schematic on how to make the link cable for the game along with the ROM of the unreleased sequel Beyond Zero Tolerance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Couldn't you just accomplish this link with something like a garden variety DB9 controller extension cable? It doesn't look that complex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Couldn't you just accomplish this link with something like a garden variety DB9 controller extension cable? It doesn't look that complex.
    Just look at the link above. You would need to rewire a normal extension cable, because the link cable has two of the wires swapped.

The link above also says that the cable is incompatible with the Nomad, why would that be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't suppose anybody's come up with a way to put the Beyond Zero Tolerance ROM image onto a bootable CD so it can be played on the Sega CD? I'd much rather play it on the real hardware than in emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ-12 View Post
    The link above also says that the cable is incompatible with the Nomad, why would that be?
    That's weird, the link I provided says it is compatible with the Nomad. I guess someone will have to try it out to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I don't suppose anybody's come up with a way to put the Beyond Zero Tolerance ROM image onto a bootable CD so it can be played on the Sega CD? I'd much rather play it on the real hardware than in emulation.
    You can get a Genesis flash cart to play it on actual hardware, I would think it would work then. I don't have a flash cart to try it out myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can buy an aftermarket cable on Tototek's website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by PSony View Post
    I did just that and will be sharing the experience with others. Thank you for sharing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSony View Post
    Argh, really? And here I've been holding onto two of the mail-order cables from Accolade, thinking they were like super awesome rarity goodness that nobody else produced. But then, they are just generic cables with no branding or anything. Just in a cardboard mailer with the Accolade logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That's weird, the link I provided says it is compatible with the Nomad. I guess someone will have to try it out to see if it works.
    That is weird that they say the opposite things. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on a Nomad though, especially since a 6 button controller will work on it.

I guess that this means that the Genesis can send and receive data through its controller ports? Was this common with controller ports around that time? I though that the basic scheme for a controller port was a +V, ground, and several signal lines?
    The Genesis has a "Select" line to send data to the controller that's used for reading a 6 button controller. From the diagram it looks like the select line and the Start button are crossed. Pretty interesting, I've never heard of any game doing this before and now I'm intrigued as well.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Virtua Racing? Yes no?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All controllers can send and receive data, so this isn't that revolutionary if you think about it.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Slightly OT, but Zero Tolerance is an absolutely awesome game. Definitely one of my Genesis favorites. Would LOVE to see this multi-player setup done, so pics if you can do it please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX View Post
    All controllers can send and receive data, so this isn't that revolutionary if you think about it.
    I don't know about "all". Most early controllers are completely passive. And since Genesis controllers work like the early passive ones (and are even compatable with them) then it wouldn't take too much of a leap to (wrongly)assume that they would be as well. It was just the fact the Sega was thinking ahead to add the select line to the controller port that makes this (and 6 button controllers) possible.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Slightly OT, but Zero Tolerance is an absolutely awesome game. Definitely one of my Genesis favorites. Would LOVE to see this multi-player setup done, so pics if you can do it please!
    I plan on doing a short video, mistakes and all . I am glad this topic sparked some curiosity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The unreleased but pretty far along Beyond Zero Tolerance (Zero Tolerance 2) supports the cable as well. Though a rom is out there and in fact both Zero Tolerance games have been released as freeware by their original developers, you'd need flashcarts and such to use it on an actual system of course.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 12-22-2009 at 04:53 PM.