Thread: Ripping PC Games - What are my options?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ripping PC Games - What are my options?

I've been ripping PC games to disc images, but I could use a good frontend to play them on. I do have a DOS/Win95 machine set up, but I can only keep so many games on it, and I just don't have the hard drives to set it up for a proper multiboot environment.

Anything that still runs on my Windows 7 gaming PC can stay in ISO format, and be installed as needed. Everything else, however, I'd like to put into an "arcade machine" style frontend on a dedicated PC (I have a spare 2005-era laptop), or possibly on my Xbox or Wii. I have a ton of pure DOS as well as Windows 9x-only games. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm confused. Is this about ripping, or is this about getting a nice frontend? If it's the latter, change your thread title.

If you want to run Win9x-only games, the Xbox and Wii are quite out of the question.

I've never looked into a frontend for Win9x, but to keep things to a minimum I'd be inclined to write up an HTML page that can load in Internet Explorer, containing links to the local .exe files on the hard drive.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean both a frontend AND a solution for ripping. Essentially, I want everything to be ripped to a harddrive and accessible from a menu. DOS games are pretty well covered by D-Fend Reloaded, but I still need to find a solution for Windows 9x games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm still confused. What exactly did you mean by "ISO format", and why would that be unacceptable for Win9x games?

I suppose it is important to note that a .iso image, by definition, will not contain any redbook CD audio tracks (a common feature with older PC games), and that a proper rip would be a bin/cue image. (In some cases it is possible to have a .iso image, a .cue file, and a bunch of mp3-encoded audio tracks, but with today's gargantuan hard drive, that's really not necessary.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I suppose it is important to note that a .iso image, by definition, will not contain any redbook CD audio tracks (a common feature with older PC games), and that a proper rip would be a bin/cue image. (In some cases it is possible to have a .iso image, a .cue file, and a bunch of mp3-encoded audio tracks, but with today's gargantuan hard drive, that's really not necessary.)
    This. .iso is not a very practical format. ImgBurn will rip games into a variety of formats, including BIN/CUE.

As for a frontend, I don't really see why you would need one (or maybe I'm just missing the point). What I do is I take the BIN/CUE and other assorted files (patches, manuals, etc.) and place them in their own ZIP or RAR file. Then, I stick all the RARs into their own folder on the HD. That way, they save space, plus, they're all right there in one place, in alphabetical order, when you need them.

For already installed games, I give them their own folder (i.e. C:/Games) and place each game within its own folder within the Games folder, keeping everything nice and orderly.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think what Nayus is looking for is a program for loading the disc images.

I use Alcohol 52% Free Edition right now. DaemonTools used to have a good reputation but then things started happening; right now it just doesn't feel necessary with 52%FE being as good as it is.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I think what Nayus is looking for is a program for loading the disc images.

I use Alcohol 52% Free Edition right now. DaemonTools used to have a good reputation but then things started happening; right now it just doesn't feel necessary with 52%FE being as good as it is.
    Does either run on Windows 95?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not likely with the current versions. I didn't look carefully but Alcohol 120% is giving some Google hits for Windows 95, so maybe older versions support it. Skimmed through and didn't notice that requirement

Keep in mind that a program like Alcohol or Daemon Tools is going to eat a bit of RAM and CPU time. For Win95 your best bet is probably going to be CD-RWs for games that require a disc, followed by some kind of rewritable media for other things. USB would be good for just sharing files but that's an additional hardware expense on most platforms.

I've tried using a SanDisk FlashPath (a floppy disk-shaped device which basically lets the floppy drive read flash memory) for transferring lots of files between an old Win95 computer and a laptop (which is itself an intermediary for the floppy drive as I don't put floppies in my new computers), but the Flash memory it uses is old-fashioned, small (64MB seems to be the maximum) and out of manufacture. What's more it's exceedingly slow when writing files, still uses some memory (it's resident in the taskbar), and I've had files time out when using it. If you see that option elsewhere, think twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Does either run on Windows 95?
    Please let go of the notion that Windows 95 (especially Windows 95B) is in some way superior to Windows 98.

If you insist on running Windows 95, I think Daemon Tools 3.47 will do the trick. See http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=21825.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Keep in mind that a program like Alcohol or Daemon Tools is going to eat a bit of RAM and CPU time.
    I really doubt it's enough to worry about.

I've tried using a SanDisk FlashPath (a floppy disk-shaped device which basically lets the floppy drive read flash memory)
    I've always wondered if there was something like that.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 12-25-2009 at 10:18 AM.