Thread: 4 Different Versions of Revenge of Shinobi? How can I tell The Difference?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 4 Different Versions of Revenge of Shinobi? How can I tell The Difference?

So revenge of shinobi has copywrite infringement out the ass and I want in. How can i tell which is the very first version released with all the stuff like spiderman intact?

* Software revision 1.00 (1989): Bosses clearly resembling The Terminator (The Hulk when nearly defeated), Godzilla, Spider-Man, and Batman are present. Both Spider-Man and Batman are actually fake representations of themselves conducted by someone able to morph into his shape when enough damage is inflicted.

* Software revision 1.01 (1989): Batman is replaced by a bat-like mutant, but The Terminator/Hulk, Godzilla, and Spider-Man remain unmodified, the latter still morphing into the bat-like creature when defeated. Enemy soldiers with flamethrowers are also changed to bald men with headbands away from their original likeness to Rambo.

* Software revision 1.02 (1990): The fake Spider-Man is now redesigned into the licensed character from Marvel Comics, acknowledged by a copyright notice (Sega was also developing The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin at the time). Since he is now the real Spider-Man, he doesn't morph into a bat-like shape and actually leaves the battle when enough damage is inflicted, with a separate bat-like mutant entering to replace him. The Terminator/Hulk and Godzilla still remain intact.

* Software revision 1.03 (1990): Godzilla is replaced by a skeletal dinosaur. Everything else remains intact from the previous revision, including the licensed use of Spider-Man. The Terminator/Hulk was still the same and he has never been affected by copyright issues because of resemblances with the real characters. This version was used in the Genesis 6-Pak cartridge.The Hulk may have not changed because of Sega having the Spider-man license.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always wondered how you could check for these as well. My version has the copyright notice for Spider-Man but has no changes to characters making it the same as the initial revision 1.00.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8949

If you play up to level 3 and the flamethrower enemies look like Rambo, and Batman is the endboss, you have version 1.00

I have version 1.01 which has Batman replaced by mutant bat man thing, and the flamethrower enemies are bald guys with headbands.

Last edited by PSony; 12-22-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the original poster may be asking about box and label differences as opposed to in-game differences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think you can tell from the box if it's 1.00 vs 1.01

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So there's literally no way to tell by the cart or box? What about this title screen copywrite thing i've been hearing about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Maybe check the numbers printed on the ROMs.

Outside of that, if the version number is stored in a memory address on the ROM then it would be a trivial matter to build a version tester out of a Genesis cartridge port, a battery, some wire, a few resistors and some LED's

Seriously though, that should work...probally for every game out there.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if there's a number printed on the chip then that would be the fastest since I can unscrew my genesis games with a custom game bit. Does anyone know what the number would be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easier to just use the Game Genie code to start on level 3, then you'll run into the flamethrower guys in a minute or so. There is no difference in the copyright screen on versions 1.00 and 1.01
    Last edited by PSony; 12-24-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Well if there's a number printed on the chip then that would be the fastest since I can unscrew my genesis games with a custom game bit. Does anyone know what the number would be?
    Not specifically, but there's probably a manufacturing date code on it. So the lower it is the older version it's more likely to be. Going by the first post v1.00 would apparently need to have an 89xx date, and some of the later 89's could still be v1.01.

With enough samples the exact cutoff date could probably be figured out.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    So revenge of shinobi has copywrite infringement out the ass and I want in. How can i tell which is the very first version released with all the stuff like spiderman intact?
    If you mean physical differences in the carts, I'm not sure that there are any at all. They all use the same manuals, cart stickers, and UPC codes. Even the reissued classic version uses the Rambo-style soldier in the instruction manual.

Obviously the Sega Classics, Sega 4-in-1 CD, and any official multi-cart use the newest (altered version).

I have the original version, and it did not come with any type of posters or promotional material packed in with the instruction manual. Maybe that would be a clue if you came across a complete copy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That game genie idea does actually seem like the fastest way. Anyone have the code to skip to level 3? It's funny but I onoly have a game genie specifically for the genesis ( Bypassed region lock for pulseman )

While we're at it, what level do I have to go in Michael Jackson's moonwalker to check for the thriller music?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    If you mean physical differences in the carts, I'm not sure that there are any at all. They all use the same manuals, cart stickers, and UPC codes. Even the reissued classic version uses the Rambo-style soldier in the instruction manual.
    Are you 100% sure there were no differences in the case labeling? I can understand the UPC being the same, but if these versions were released over a long period of time, isn't there a possibility of a slight difference in the packaging (a numeral, a word in a different spot)? I remember reading about how some NES Gyromites have a converter inside, and there are some people who believe the labeling is slightly different between the two versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

An old thread at SEGA 16 thread talks about this issue. Some of the posters suggest that you can look at the copyright on the title screen to help determine what version you have.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6847

What we really need is a collector who has all the versions, to check on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    Are you 100% sure there were no differences in the case labeling? I can understand the UPC being the same, but if these versions were released over a long period of time, isn't there a possibility of a slight difference in the packaging (a numeral, a word in a different spot)? I remember reading about how some NES Gyromites have a converter inside, and there are some people who believe the labeling is slightly different between the two versions.
    I have a gyromite with the converter and they are indeed slightly different but it's incredibly hard to notice. It's literally a matter of one being printed with darker ink.