Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The 3dfx Thread - "That is power most-awesome."

Ah 3dfx, how I miss you. I would love to have a pair of PCI-E VooDoo running SLI, but it was not meant to be.

Anyone who was into the PC gaming scene back in 96-99 should remember 3dfx and their revolutionary accelerator cards. I was introduced to these wonderful add-ons with an HP PC that included a VooDoo 1 board, playing a special Glide-enhanced version of Mechwarrior 2. It wasn't long before we got a VooDoo 2 to replace it (breaking Mechwarrior 2). When I finally got my own PC, a VooDoo 3 2000 AGP soon followed.

That AGP card is still a powerhouse, and I've gotten more use out of it than any piece of technology I own, save for my NES. There's still an enthusiast community built around those cards, and it's astounding what they can do (Half-Life 2!). It's a shame they aren't still in the business, but failure to make Glide widely accepted and the maturation of the other APIs pushed 3dfx out of the market. Of course, their lavish corporate lifestyle didn't help, which probably distracted them from the work they should have been doing to stay on top. Maybe if the Dreamcast had panned out in their favor...

It's been eight years since 3dfx filed for bankruptcy. Most of their assets were bought by nVidia, and were rumored to be used in the GeForce 5XXX line. It's probably safe to say that no more games are going to be developed with support for Glide, but I can't find a definitive list. What are some of the games that run either specifically in Glide, or at least were designed to support 3dfx cards?

Got any memories of 3dfx? Still running Quake III on your VooDoo 2 SLI? Post your stories below!

List of Glide Games (Windows)

Another List (DOS-focused; I'd like to find a definitive DOS list)

Employee Interview Videos

Commercials from a very, very different era...
    Proud Workers, Medicine, Feed the World
    Last edited by NayusDante; 12-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.