Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 3dfx Thread - "That is power most-awesome."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    is there any truth to the idea that a voodoo 1 works better with ceratin games that were hardcoded for it as opposed to useing a later voodoo card?
    Well, I know that some games were designed for the Voodoo 1, and had trouble running on any other cards. The 3dfx edition of Mechwarrior 2, for example. It's POSSIBLE to run it on other setups, but without messing with it, only a Voodoo 1 will play it.

You have to keep in mind that it was one of the VERY first 3D cards, so there's no standard to code for. I don't know for certain, but I would think that there would be a few games like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    There's a 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 AGP prototype up for sale on ebay right now. high bid is $676.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Dfx-Voodoo-5-60...item45f0b307b4

More interesting is the sellers 3dfx collection, linked from the auction page

http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/main.php?...g2_itemId=3851

I miss 3dfx. I'm thinking of putting together a Win 98 machine with one (if I can find a Voodoo 5 cheap) as well as my Aureal Vortex soundcard, another blast from the past.
    Yea I have a P3 1ghz tower I built running Windows ME. I slapped a I/O Magic Vortex2 card in it. Right now a Rage 128 Pro is in there, but Im going to swap it out with a Monster Fusion Banshee when it arrives. I got to tell you, Aureals drivers are a pain to get installed right past the original on the driver cd. Most of the updated drivers are missing files here or there. Seemed like when I used the card prior I read others had issues too with the newer drivers being a pain to install on the Turtle Beach versions.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

A graphics card collection? Now I've seen it all.

PS: Anyone who was pissed 3Dfx closed, imagine if you had a Rendition Verite?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be worse, you coulda bought a Rage Fury Maxx. Support for it was so bad it was like ATI had went out of business after launch.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

My family's first computer was a Packard Bell with a Pentium Pro processor running at 166MHz. It was I think in 1997 or 1998, and it had no graphics card. For my 15th birthday, I got a Voodoo 3dfx card for it. The card came with some moto gp game, Turok, and some other game. I used to play Croc on it a lot, MDK, Duke Nukem, and so on.This computer and the graphics card sustained most of my gaming needs at the time. I was indeed sad to see the company go under.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

3dfx brings back some good memories. I remember sometime in 1996 a friend of mine showing me the original Tomb Raider game, running on a PC with a 3dfx card. At the time I owned a Playstation and the PSX version of Tomb Raider. I was amazed at how much better the game looked. One of the main reasons I avoided playing games on a computer, was because I was the type that wanted a controller in my hand, and didn't want to play games with a keyboard and mouse. My buddy had a Micrsoft sidewinder controller, and he was playing Tomb Raider with that. I tried his setup out, and was hooked. I had to have it.

I ended up building my very first gaming PC. Not long after that I think I got my N64, and I basically had a PS1, N64 and PC with 3dfx. It wasn't too long from that point that I basically stopped playing console games, and went 100 percent to the computer side. Games like the original Unreal blew my mind (at the time). Pretty much during 1997, 1998 and early 1999 I didn't really have a clue as to what was going on in the console world, because I was too busy playing PC games. Then when the Dreamcast was launched on 9-9-99 that all changed. I bought a Dreamcast on day 1, and basically jumped back on the console gaming bandwagon.

Since that time, I haven't built a single gaming PC, and only game on consoles. The interesting thing, is that I'm actually pondering returning to the PC side of things. Why? Well, I still love console gaming but I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that no new console systems are on the horizon. I like the cycle of a new console being released every 5 years. If this cycle were to continue, that would mean the Xbox 720 would release this November. Obviously, we know that isn't about to happen. A new Xbox or PS3, could be a good 3 more years away, which makes me think that maybe I should jump onto the PC bandwagon for a few years, just to get that "next-level" feeling that I like so much. Then again, building a PC, and constantly upgrading is something I haven't had to deal with since 1999, and I'm not really looking forward to jumping back into that any time soon....decisions, decisions.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the cable used to connect a 2d card to the voodoo 1 and 2. any M to F vga cable will do correct? it wasn't something special?

i just got a voodoo 1 8mb and a voodoo 2 12mb and thinking of building a win95 machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, nothing special. Just a standard M->F cable.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go with Win 98. The drivers tended to be more well rounded for Voodoo cards in 98/Me then in 95 by the end of it.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC-ENGINE HELL View Post
    Go with Win 98. The drivers tended to be more well rounded for Voodoo cards in 98/Me then in 95 by the end of it.
    yhea, i acually have a win98 setup with a voodoo 3 AGP card. the win95 thing is just a product of haveing to many spare pc parts and time on my hands. i don't even know if there were any games that were made for 95 and didn't work in 98...maybe 1 or 2. same with useing a voodoo 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not done yet, as I still need to trim up one of the fans screw mount areas down evenly so they all match in size, but here is my Voodoo 5500 PCI so far.
    Eventually I will be adding some kinda cooling solution to the back of the card also. The fans are Masscool 4000 rpm fans attached using 40mm to 60mm red adapter plates. I had the smaller screws that came with the adapter plates were not thick enough to grab into the heat sinks, so I used the original screws, just trimmed them down slightly. The larger screws used to mount the fan sadly were not long enough either (what a surprise) so that's why I trimmed the screw mount areas on the fans.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was the 5500 produced in AGP? It strikes me as a bit odd to trick out a PCI video card from that late in the 3dfx line...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Was the 5500 produced in AGP? It strikes me as a bit odd to trick out a PCI video card from that late in the 3dfx line...
    Yea a AGP one was produced, but uses the older AGP slot standard, so its a pain to find a decent board to use it on. You are basically limited to older Socket A boards that are able to handle AGP 1/2x cards. Something like a Nforce 2 based board wont cut it.

The PCI card however can be used in basically any system you want to make, so its a bit more sought after. The speed of the PCI one is basically the same as the AGP card in games, maybe 3-5 percent slower. At the time the PCI card was released it was basically the best PCI card you could by, other then a Geforce 2 MX pci.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't mind mounting a fan on my VooDoo 3.

But I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. There are only two mount holes for that heat sink.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd try a PCI-slot fan. That's basically what they're for. It won't be as effective as card-mounting it, but you'll still be actively cooling the card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Push Upstairs, you can take a thinner socket A fan, a couple of 40mm fans, or a 60mm fan, and use tad longer screws to mount it to the heat sink. As long as the screws you use are thick enough they will dig into the heat sink fins.

Yea I considered doing that PCI-slot fan thing for the back of the card actually. It'll depend on what I find as I go looking around. Im wanting something that has fans that will go around 4000rpm. If I need to I may make my own using Thermaltake fans placed to flow air downward on the card. They make some pretty fast reliable fans. Ill just have to see .
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 03-04-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not opposed to removing the heat sink and putting something more fan mount friendly, but for the time being I'll try the PCI slot fan I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to a local Quake LAN party. I had a pretty nice rig. I had a STB Lightspeed 128, which was pretty much the fastest DOS Quake video card you could get. My friend had just gotten one of the Monster 3D cards. He did a timedemo for me at 640x480 and it was ridiculous. I had to have one.

So I got one. It was amazing for GLQuake and Descent 2 (d2_3dfx). Opponents hated to go against me in Descent 2 on Kali since that game was heavily influenced by your framerate.

It performed well until Quake 2, at which point I defected and tried out the Riva TNT as well as the Matrox G200. Both supported 32bit color instead of the 3dfx 16bit, but the performance was not quite on par with my single Voodoo2. Very quickly, the TNT2 was released and that was the final nail for the 3dfx coffin. I remember my friend bought a Voodoo3 instead and he regretted that purchase dearly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    I wouldn't mind mounting a fan on my VooDoo 3.

But I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. There are only two mount holes for that heat sink.
    Super Glue! I used to do that all the time with various cards. You'd be surprised how well you can get it to stick with a minimal surface contact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not very easy to replace the fan, is it?