Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Exclamation Famicom disk system not working

The intro screen loads up, then I always get 1 or 2 different error messages. It'll keep reading the disk over and over, but nothing. I have 2 games for it, and same thing happens on both games. I've heard that most likly the belt has to be replaced, so I'm thinking of buying one off of ebay if that's the case. Any one in San Diego, CA area know how to fix these, cause I suck at repairs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    The intro screen loads up, then I always get 1 or 2 different error messages. It'll keep reading the disk over and over, but nothing. I have 2 games for it, and same thing happens on both games. I've heard that most likly the belt has to be replaced, so I'm thinking of buying one off of ebay if that's the case. Any one in San Diego, CA area know how to fix these, cause I suck at repairs.
    Well, if the belt needs replaced, that's the biggest problem; however, if you do open it up and find that the belt is (by some incredibly unlikely chance) still intact, then you probably just need to adjust the motor.

Adjusting the motor is pretty easy -- just under the cover, you'll see a "drum" with a small hole. Put a little flathead screwdriver in there and twist to adjust the speed.

Replacing the belt is a little more involved, and is no problem so long as you happen to have either A) three hands, or B) a bit of patience.

I used to have a good link about repair, but I can't find it now. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide a nice how-to.

Absolute worst case you could ship it to West Virginia and I could make it go, but considering how finnicky the FDS is (or at least, how finnicky mine is -- I'm only assuming all others are the same), if you wanna get into FDS collecting, knowing how to replace the belts and, more importantly, adjust the motor is pretty much a "must."